• 19 %
  • waiting for pile driver or ?
  • 12 %
  • Pissed at AMD moving to Intel
  • 14 %
  • Undecided
  • 12 %
October 18, 2011 10:05:58 AM

Here is a poll for all the AMD users out there I am wondering if you will be making the switch to a Bulldozer CPU . Thanks for your help

More about : amd bulldozer poll

October 18, 2011 3:05:56 PM

Voted for " Keeping what I have."
October 18, 2011 3:08:44 PM

I see this is only the beginning of this poll and the results do not look promising for AMD and that makes me really sad beyond belief
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2011 3:26:55 PM

Because of the questions asked, the data has to by necessity be skewed as negative toward AMD because most people aren't looking to update so their answers will fall into the "NO" or other categories.

Perhap well intentioned, this kind of "poll" doesn't serve much purpose as the results are unrepresentative of actual potential Zambezi purchasers.
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2011 3:36:16 PM

I'm looking forward to an X79 build. It will be a while before I consider AMD CPUs again

I was originally planning to get an AM3+ board, better cooler to OC a little more, and 16GB of DDR3 RAM, then get pick up Piledriver latter on. That all changed when I saw the first Bulldozer review and I didn't really want to believe it till I was going over the 5th one. Now I didn't expect it to blow away Sandy Bridge mind you, but I did expect it to have better IPC than the Phenom II and at least be consistently better or the same in IPC to Lynfield. Instead AMD took a step back in most areas and it stands to reason that a 32nm Phenom II X8 would have given similar or better performance while using less die space and power. That just stresses how they even failed on the goal of saving die space with the module design over two separate cores. Piledriver isn't going to fix all that.

It's just a fail all around. I am totally disappointed.
October 18, 2011 3:46:12 PM

keeping my phenom ii x3 for now, all i do is game and its wonderful for that. maybe a sandy bridge, maybe a piledriver, maybe a sandy bridge e... only time will tell what i build next
October 18, 2011 4:05:04 PM

I have a Core I7 920 and i was hoping bulldozer would pull me back. Still waiting...
October 18, 2011 4:15:37 PM

my 2 years old athlon x4 635, which I bought for 100$ is good enough for what I use the PC (1080p gaming with my HD 6850 and some college software).

I still don't understand how people can spend 250$ on a processor. That's nonsense to me.
October 18, 2011 4:22:03 PM

I was actually excited for BD and hoping to replace my i7-860 but looks like I won't be going to AMD for a while. Phenom II was a good value, and recommended to several people who is on budget. I don't think I would recommend BD to anyone.
October 18, 2011 5:04:23 PM

joemama069 said:
keeping my phenom ii x3 for now, all i do is game and its wonderful for that. maybe a sandy bridge, maybe a piledriver, maybe a sandy bridge e... only time will tell what i build next

I had the same setup as you but I have a 5770 and moved to a 1055t.
October 18, 2011 5:43:16 PM

going from x2 6000+ to i5 2500k
sorry amd ;_;
October 18, 2011 6:14:12 PM

I would buy one for $150 US. But the power it consumes it insane. I will need a new PSU to run it.
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 18, 2011 6:33:04 PM

They either need to drop the 8150 to $200, or vastly improve the performance/watt of these chips to get me to buy one. I was planning on building a new system in a few months, but won't be doing that anymore. I'm just sticking with my mixture of Phenom/Athlon II/Phenom II processors I already have.
October 18, 2011 6:44:00 PM

I got tired of waiting for BD to come out and purchased a 2500k about 2 months ago. I am really bummed that BD didn't offer better competition. I agree they need to lower prices by about $40 for each chip to seem competitive to me.

I just can't believe they would release a processor that is actually core for core, clock for clock, slower than their current offerings. They should have made sure it at least gamed better if they were bringing back their FX monicker. They are still relatively good chips, just not much better than what they already had.
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 12:22:56 AM

I'm a gamer, and I plan on using a strong GPU setup.

Sorry AMD. You can't even handle your 6900 (and likely 6800 considering 5870 crossfire showed bottlenecking) series cards in crossfire. SHAME!

Keeping my Q9550 til Ivybridge comes out. I'd be silly to do anything else while I'm perfectly happy with a single 6970 in all games and a Q9550 @ 3.6ghz keeps up just fine with virtually zero bottlenecking.

Hell I might not even upgrade to Ivy if more games don't start putting the heat on our current GPUs by next year. :) 
October 19, 2011 12:42:12 AM

NO....NO further explaination required
October 19, 2011 1:46:24 AM

voted keeping what i have, however had BD been a success i would've replaced my aging am2+ mobo with a shiny new am3+ mobo and just moved my thuban to that to make myself BD upgradable. Now the next upgrade is going to be most likely ivy, or whatever comes after that if my system ages that well, but i sincerely doubt going AMD again anytime soon.
a c 164 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 19, 2011 1:57:08 AM

jchambers2586 said:
Newegg has sold out of the 8 core CPU's I wonder if they will restock or AMD will try to fix the performance issues. The way I see Intel had their flops with the sandy bridge boards now it's AMD's turn with the CPU's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

wow, people are actually buying them? there are really some stupid people
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 2:43:19 AM

I think that there are just very few of the chips (supply problems). The 8150 went out very near the release on Newegg (even with their high markup) and I don't think it has been back since.
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 19, 2011 6:47:08 AM

EXT64 said:
I think that there are just very few of the chips (supply problems). The 8150 went out very near the release on Newegg (even with their high markup) and I don't think it has been back since.

Microcenter didn't even have them when they released, and we already know there are 32nm yield problems causing a shortage of Llano chips. No doubt there is a supply shortage.
a c 173 à CPUs
October 19, 2011 6:54:03 AM

Raidur said:
I
Keeping my Q9550 til Ivybridge comes out.

Me too.
a c 164 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 19, 2011 8:41:29 AM

julianbautista87 said:
my 2 years old athlon x4 635, which I bought for 100$ is good enough for what I use the PC (1080p gaming with my HD 6850 and some college software).

I still don't understand how people can spend 250$ on a processor. That's nonsense to me.

? 3 years ago you would only get a mid-range cpu for $250, now you can get a near top end i5 2500k for $200.
October 19, 2011 10:42:49 AM

I was going to buy the FX 8150. But instead went out and bought the X6 1100T. i do not want to support INTEL any more.
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 1:03:15 PM

sticking with i7 870. was considering a possible upgrade, either amd or intel. was hoping bulldozer would at least provide some competition & drive down sandy prices, but now think i'll be holding off til ivy. shame
October 20, 2011 7:15:00 AM

AMD is having Yielding problems with Bullodzer thus stock is limited. I called AMD about the lack of availability for Bulldozer CPU's and this is what they told me.
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2011 10:31:58 AM

If its cheap why not
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2011 1:17:13 PM

Yes, I am, within the next few days, the FX8150.
Want it. Simple, to be able to use it for myself and be the best judge of it's performance.
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2011 1:19:37 PM

Raidur said:
I'm a gamer, and I plan on using a strong GPU setup.

Sorry AMD. You can't even handle your 6900 (and likely 6800 considering 5870 crossfire showed bottlenecking) series cards in crossfire. SHAME!

Keeping my Q9550 til Ivybridge comes out. I'd be silly to do anything else while I'm perfectly happy with a single 6970 in all games and a Q9550 @ 3.6ghz keeps up just fine with virtually zero bottlenecking.

Hell I might not even upgrade to Ivy if more games don't start putting the heat on our current GPUs by next year. :) 

I am keeping my SB until SB-E comes out then i will keep it until IVB comes out then after that until Haswell comes out. :D 
October 20, 2011 5:12:11 PM

AMD Working on Bulldozer B3 Stepping

AMD released their highly anticipated Bulldozer CPUs last week (our review). The reception was not very warm, and a common thought was that Bulldozer didn't perform as well as expected. Especially in single-threaded tests, Intel was still miles ahead, and even in multithreaded tests AMD wasn't a clear winner.

The initial CPUs use B2 stepping, but an AMD BIOS and kernel document already shows reference to unreleased B3 stepping. A stepping update should bring improvements (usually minor) to performance and power consumption, as well as possible bug fixes. Stepping updates are a normal way to provide small upgrades in between bigger ones, such as die shrinks and microarchitecture changes. While B3 stepping may help Bulldozer a little bit, it's very unlikely that a stepping update would provide huge benefits and thus make Bulldozer significantly better than Intel's equivalent CPUs - so waiting for this update is not exactly a good idea.

No timeframe for the update is known but if the past has any meaning, it won't be anytime soon. For example C3 stepping came about 9 months after the original release of Phenom II X4 with C2 stepping.

Source: AnandTech

»www.anandtech.com/show/4997/amd-···stepping
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2011 11:58:42 PM

The only way I can see the B3 stepping having a significant benefit is if it significantly lowers cache latency, improves prediction, improves scheduling, or a good amount of all three. Even so, it will still have lower IPC than Deneb and even with higher clock speeds and overclocking be behind their Intel counterparts.
a c 1208 à CPUs
a c 508 À AMD
October 21, 2011 12:03:07 AM

For now no!
a c 156 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 21, 2011 12:16:19 AM

No point in getting the Bulldozer now since it ended up being a failure for gaming. We'll see what happens with the piledriver CPU.
October 21, 2011 12:52:59 AM

NO! I'm sad since now only a slow economy is keeping Intel from raising prices.
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 12:57:06 AM

Failure for gaming? If you rely that heavy on a cpu to improve your gaming performance get a bigger resolution monitor then
a c 156 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 21, 2011 1:18:16 AM

Whatever you say. The proof is in the benchmark test. The I7 and I5 beat it everytime. When an older processor beats out a new processor thats what I would call a failure.
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 1:39:24 AM

At what resolution?
a c 156 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 21, 2011 7:08:00 AM

I don't know I didn't do the benchmark test. There's a ton out there now.
a c 639 à CPUs
a c 204 À AMD
October 21, 2011 3:36:19 PM

I have no intentions of upgrading my system yet (Q9450 @ 3.0GHz). Maybe I will when Ivy Bridge is released, but I am mostly satisfied with the performance of my current system.

It's hard for me to recommend Bulldozer to anyone. I would still recommend an AMD Phenom II for anyone who wants to stick with AMD or who is looking for an inexpensive system. BD doesn't really offer much performance improvements over Phenom II and it also consumes more power.

Hopefully AMD's revision of BD will result better performance and reduced power consumption especially since AMD is going to focus on APUs as their long term strategy. It would be interesting to see how Trinity will perform when it is released and what it's power requirements will be especially for the mobile versions.
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 5:02:32 PM

I threw AMD a bone and used the money I set aside to buy a new Radeon. ;) 
a c 156 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 21, 2011 6:17:46 PM

jchambers2586 said:
Here is another review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOho_YpVF9I

He's 100% right. It was suppose to be the lastest and greatest and it was suppose to atleast be equal to the lastest Intel CPU's and as he said it doesn't even beat out the old 6 qore 1090T.