Sign in with
Your question

Ram amount and motherboard compatibility

Last response: in Motherboards
July 13, 2012 4:22:39 AM

I recently had to RMA an Asus Sabertooth 990fx due to system shutdown and the inability to boot the computer back up after many hours of troubleshooting. After putting the system together and turning on the computer (this was obviously while the computer was still functioning) I came to realize that the RAM i was utilizing was not listed under the qualified vendors. The RAM speed was 1866mhz and was only being recognized in BIOS as 1333mhz. Whenever I attempted to manually change this to its appropriate speed, I would just get blue screened. Eventually, just because I wanted to get my computer in working order and load some of the programs onto it, I settled for 1333mhz in the meantime. However, like I already mentioned, about six hours into the computers usage it shut down and it was never able to be started again. I guess what I am wondering is if my usage of RAM that was not listed on the qualified vendors list was a likely cause of the computer's shutdown.

There is also a second part to my question. Since I had to RMA the motherboard, I figured I may as well RMA the RAM while I'm at it and get something that is at least on their list of qualified vendors. However, most if not all, of the RAM listed states that the motherboard will only take 4 or 8 gb. I had originally purchased 16gb and was definitely looking to use all of that if possible. Is this a possibility through adjustments in the BIOS, or is it going to put too much stress on the system? Am I better off just getting two different types of RAM (2 different pairs of 1866 mhz RAM that are both on the list of qualified vendors)? Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 13, 2012 5:21:48 AM

"RAM i was utilizing was not listed under the qualified vendors."

Most RAM is never listed on the qualified list. Its no problem.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 13, 2012 5:26:52 AM

Whats the RAM model?

Use only one kit.

RAM req.

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 1866/1600/1333/1066MHz

* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

* Due to CPU spec., AMD 100 series CPUs support up to DDR3 1066MHz. With ASUS design, this motherboard can support up to DDR3 1333MHz.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH...
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 13, 2012 5:27:59 AM

Whats your CPU?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 13, 2012 5:44:25 AM

Whats the RAM model?
m
l
July 13, 2012 6:41:13 AM

The RAM Model I had been using was Patriot Gamer 2 Series, Division 4 Edition 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000), but like I said this is not listed on the QVL. I have already requested a refund from Newegg and plan on getting something else (most probably made by G-Skill or Corsair, one of the 1866mhz models listed on the QVL that can support 4 DIMM slots). I was asking just for general knowledge if you thought that could have been the reason for my computer crashing.
m
l
!