DVI to HDMI Doesn't work?

DrkSide

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I am trying to setup Eyefinity with my three monitors. All are using DVI to HDMI cables and I have not had a problem with them yet. However since I had to get a Active Mini DP to DVI it will not display on this monitor.

Graphics card is a 6950.
Monitor 1 - DVI>HDMI works fine
Monitor 2 - DVI>HDMI works fine
Monitor 3 - MDP>DVI>HDMI doesn't work (will show a picture if I set resolution to 800x600)

Now. I thought that HDMI and DVI were pretty much the exact same thing in a different wrapper (minus the audio). Am I mistaken in this?

Monitor works off of Macbook using the mini dp>dvi>hdmi so I know that the adapter works.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Which Adaptor did you get? Is it one of the USB powered ones or one of the "Officially Supported" adapters that are out now. I originally used a USB powered Active adapter, but after the "Official" adapters were released I started having errors with each driver release. I would pretty much get the same symptom you're having. Monitor could be seen, but only set to 800x600. Sometimes unplugging the USB adapter and replugging it in would fix it for awhile but it got more and more unreliable. As soon as I switched to one of there official adapters (HIS) I never had an issue again. I did try the old USB adapter on another system and it seemed to work, but it still wouldnt work for my eyefinity setup.

If you happen to be using the offical adaptor, are you using a dvi to hdmi adaptor after that, or a cable with a dvi end and an hdmi end?

DrkSide

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I was using a cable with HDMI at one end and DVI at the other. It is the PowerColor "official" adapter that I bought. I had tried an Encore mini dp to vga earlier and it didn't work.

On the way home from work is stopped by Best Buy since they are the only ones that carry display adapters and got the dynex mini dp to vga and IT WORKS!!!!....well sort of. I have to unplug the monitor and plug it back in when I switch from eyefinity to extended but I don't do that very often.

TRENDING THREADS