Windows 7 ATI Card Listed As \'Standard VGA Adapter\'

Mogget128723

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Hello all :)

Since about Christmas, I've been running a Toshiba Satellite L675 and have been extremely pleased with its gaming ability overall. However, I purchased Brink a day or so back, and was stonewalled with miserable performance. I'd been informed that downgrading the drivers of the computer's dedicated ATI Mobility Radeon HD card (I'm not sure what model exactly... it was in the 5*** range) could contribute to repairing the problem, so I got down to my research. I'm not particularly experienced with driver work, and after failing to properly remove everything (the drivers simply weren't installing because they saw a newer version present) I downloaded a program called Driver Sweeper per a friend's recommendation and set it loose on my ATI drivers. The program successfully removed all current drivers, forcing me into low screen resolution, but when I tried to install replacement drivers, things went bad. The drivers didn't install because the installer didn't know what kind of GPU I had. Perplexed, I checked the device manager and dxdiag, and sure enough, instead of the specific model of card being listed, I saw 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter'.

Since, I've tried a number of different kinds of ATI driver install packages, dozens of potential remedies from threads across the internet, and what have you else; no change. I've seen this problem reported before, so I know this isn't a unique incident, but the threads all died before a solution could be reached. Has anyone figured out how to fix this? I would be happy to get my computer back to normal, Brink-compatible drivers or no Brink-compatible drivers.

NOTE: One of the suggestions I followed was proposing I use the device manager to scan for new hardware. I attempted this, and the card was not detected. I have attempted no hardware modifications to this computer, ever. This is either a software issue or a HUGE coincidence.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: Dug around in some of my old forum haunts; my graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. Now that I've got the specific model, I'm going to see if I can find the raw driver somewhere rather than that 'automatic' crap ATI puts out.

Thanks for your time :)

Mogget128723

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion; hadn't even occurred to me to check Toshiba. But now that I have, I'm encountering a new problem: in terms of model number, all my compuer's diagnostic software stops at L675, and there are at least ten models that are categorized under 'L675'. I need something more specific. Just as an example, the full model name would look like this: L675-S7018. Any suggestions on how I can acquire this information? I've tried dxdiag, systeminfo, and Everest, on top of all the basic Windows information stuff.

EDIT: Scratch that. While it would be nice to know, it looks like all the drivers provided work on all L675 series computers.