Intel Atom vs P4

asad393

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Hi guys.... I am an Electrical Engg Student ( Communication Group ) . I need a laptop for my studies but i can't afford a full fledge system thats why i decided to buy a netbook. I want to know weather an Intel Atom Processor of 1.6 GHz will be able to run C++ compiler. Thats the software i would mostly use. seconldy i would use linux but i know linux can run easiily....as i have a p4 in my home....2.4 Ghz so i wanna know weather a P4 2.4 ghz which i have and runs these things quite good..so a Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz will run them or not...as Atom has better Cache and processor technology than p4..please help...

asad393

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

It means that netbook would be fine for me...

Which Atom processor? There are several models that run at 1.66 GHz. I would expect the Atom to match the P4 2.4. A notebook isn't a laptop. If you need a lot more power, than consider a laptop like an Acer 5733-6696 with an i3-380M processor (or a similar unit with a fast enough CPU). They cost less than $400 and they are far more powerful than a P4 2.4 or any Atom processor.

An atom is roughly the equivilant of a P4, except that it uses 10Watts instead of requiring a small nuclear power plant to run. Be aware however that there are some odd things that refuse to run on Atoms (or at least mine), but I have no idea if compiling is one of those things.
One word of advice; As a student, or buying anything for a production environment where your time is dictated by your CPU, buy yourself something that will last a while, and will be slightly more powerful than you think it needs to be. Watching progress bars is not what you want to be doing with your time. an i3 or i5 laptop is only $200 more than a base model Atom netbook.
That's just 20hrs at a part time job for something that will save you well more than 20hrs of homework time throughout your college career. Plus you get a larger screen, better battery, bigger/faster HDD... you get the picture. Not saying you should blow $600+ on something that can walk away, but you can get a lot of hardware for $500 compared to $300

asad393

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
well brother you also said the truth... i am gonna do 3D modeling in AutoCAD after a couple of months...and a netbook will be a less thing for that...i am thinking on your advice...

asad393

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
the link was just for specifications... I am from Pakistan but i will buy from US.. My uncle will bring that for me who is in US. their laptops are much cheaper than pakistan thats why....