jeffjeff666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
When I run Prime95 my computer shuts down not even 10 minutes after I started the program. I saw people running Prime95 for hours without any problems.

It was shutting down in the past and thought it was because the CPU temperature was too high (almost 75 degrees). I just installed a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ and my temperature are around 50-52 degrees at full load. Idle is around 30-33 degrees. So the I don't think CPU temperature is an issue.

I've had the computer for about 2 months now.

I read lots of stuff about PSU temperature, voltage and stuff like that... so where do I start to find the problem? I have CPUID HWMonitor installed if you need data.

Components are in my signature.

BTW I did not overclock any components.

Thanks!

jeffjeff666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

I thought Antec were good for power supplies... is it possible that I have too much stuff for it?

Firstly, check the way and why the rig shuts-down. Any BSOD's or just OFF.
Start HW Monitor, and keep an eye on the temps when running Prime95. See and post details here.
Have you checked the memory QVL if not check the exact model number of your RAM with this list
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V/#MSL

Also check if you have placed the RAMs in the right slots as designated for a 2 X4GB config.

jeffjeff666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

No BSOD's. It actually resets.

My RAM is not listen in the memory QVL. My memory is G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=57953

The RAMs are in the right slots. A2 & B2 like it says in the MOBO manual.

I ran Prime95 many times today. It shut down a few times within 5-10 minutes. I've had a few successfull times where it ran for over 20 minutes without resetting. I stopped Prime95 in those cases.

Everytime I ran Prime95, I did not see any differences in temperature or voltage.

Here is a screenshot of HW Monitor after 25 minutes of running Prime95.
2bqsxu.jpg

With this type of fault you can speculate about what is causing it until the cows come home. The choice basically boils down to, is it the power supply or the motherboard. The power supply is the easiest and cheapest component to replace so I would try that first.

jeffjeff666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

This is going to be fun... I bought this computer 2 months ago... now I will have to RMA or buy new parts just to try.... grrrrrrrr.... I'll try to get another PSU from a friend or something like that...

I just thought about it, I had to replace my PSU in another computer at the end of 2009. It is an Antec Earthwatt EA-650. Can I just switch my Antec Gamer 620W for that one just to test? I saw there was 3 rails in the Earthwatt... Am I gonna damage or fry something if I use that one?

jeffjeff666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

I ran Memtest86 and no errors for the RAM.

Don't know what to do... no idea how to prove that my MOBO is faulty too... any way to test that?

jeffjeff666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

No I don't have any DDR3 :(

jeffjeff666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
That's it I'm gonna lose it... I took one DDR3 out and try to run it like that. 10 minutes... computer reset. It's always like that... about 10-15 minutes max and the computer resets.

I thought it was the ram so I set up my whole rig on the kitchen table because I did not want to go back and forth with my tower in my room.

Same DDR3 in the same slot... NO reset after half an hour of Prime95. I stopped the test. Tried in another slot... half an hour without resetting... Stopped the test. I then put both DDR3 like the original setup... an hour without resetting. I stopped the test.

Took my rig in my room... same test without modification... 10 minutes... Reset! Grrrrrrrrr! I thought it was my surge protector so I plugged the computer directly in the wall... Reset again.

Then I thought it was my desk because the tower is stuck between 4 boards so I thought it was overheating. My desk looks like this. Put the tower on top of a little table to make sure the top fan was doing the job but same thing... Reset!

By the way, I can easily play Battlefield 3 without having my computer resetting.

What is going on????

I might guess video card drivers if it were me and I hadn't read the last post.

Antec makes good PSUs, but even they would get old after a while. Not sure how old it is, but with your last few posts I would also think it wasn't that.

All I can think it is now is a heat problem.

When your computer is in the desk, do you have the side panels on like they are supposed to be?

If so, try taking both of the side panels off and leaving it in the desk and see what happens.

Feel free to also aim a fan at the internals while you are doing that since the side will be off the case.

Also, I didn't see if you ran the CPUID thing to check temperatures in the environment where it works, if you didn't could you please do that and post the results like you did before?

You could do the really cool thing and mount the separators on the wood on the desk and go caseless for ultimate airflow. I think I have only ever seen that once in my life.

jeffjeff666

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

PSU is only 2 months old. I remember it did that the first week but I was blaming heat problems so I replaced the stock heatsink with a Coolermaster 212+. My temperatures are around 50-52 degrees at full load. Idle is around 30-33 degrees. The panels were on for every test I did. This is very weird!