Sign in with
Your question
Closed

URGENT SMPS selection 650w vs 750w

Last response: in Components
October 18, 2011 7:28:39 PM

MY question is about SMPS selection !!!!
1)Cooler Master GX650
2)Corsair Enthusiast SeriesTX750 V2 80 PLUS Bronze Certified

i am planning to buy the below parts at the moment in next two days

motherboard =P8Z68-V
processor =i5-2500K
single graphics card =MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5
genaral hard disk , dvd-rom and 8gb corsair ram

my question is ... i dont plan to SLI at present to... at least for next 2 years......

so friend is suggesting to choose a 650w smps rather than 750w
to save power consumption and power bill ....

i want to know if the power consumption of both the smps is same if the above computer parts are to be used......

if " YES " ...i.e if power consumption would be same both for a 650w and 750w smps then i would be happy to choose a 750w smps

if " NO ".. i.e if power consumption of 750w > power consumption of 650 even though both have same pc parts as i said above.... then i have no choice but to select a 650w one...

PLS guys help me out .... before its late

i dont even have time to wait....hope you understand my question.....
a c 697 ) Power supply
October 18, 2011 10:16:51 PM

The size of the PSU is not going to save on the power bill. The Corsair is the better unit here and no question when choosing that versus CM which is more like hit and miss PSU maker. Your rig would run on a quality 500watt unit.
Score

Best solution

a c 276 ) Power supply
October 18, 2011 11:00:24 PM

Get the 750TXV2 without a doubt, the GX series is no good and suffers from high ripple once you get over 70% load.

The power consumption of them will be very close, depending on if its the older or the newer GX 650 the 750TX V2 may be more efficient(first GX 650 is 80+ basic, the enhance built unit is 80+ bronze like the TXV2), regardless i would put the max difference between the two units at 30 W at the very most so which unit you pick wont affect your power bill.
Related resources
a c 274 ) Power supply
October 19, 2011 12:31:43 AM

^+2 the Corsair without a doubt!
Score
October 19, 2011 12:53:51 AM

When in doubt and money is not an issue, over buy. Even if there was a tangible difference, it would be minuscule by comparison. Personally I wouldnt mind getting the 650 in this case if money is an issue, the long term difference without SLI will not come into play and I doubt with that build you will even see 70% loads. Worry about 2 years from now, 2 years from now. Time has a way of changing a whole lot by then.
Score
October 19, 2011 1:09:03 AM

Well not necessarily a myth because you are assuming the 650w and 750w designs are identical.

A better built more efficient 650w will save on power over a 750w not so well made PSU.

It is best to just say that power used equals actual power consumed. Not the power rating of the PSU. The rating on the PSU will not affect the power consumption, its design and efficiency will assuming you are loading the PSU similarly.
Score
a c 697 ) Power supply
October 19, 2011 1:23:42 AM

mickey21 said:
Well not necessarily a myth because you are assuming the 650w and 750w designs are identical.

A better built more efficient 650w will save on power over a 750w not so well made PSU.

It is best to just say that power used equals actual power consumed. Not the power rating of the PSU. The rating on the PSU will not affect the power consumption, its design and efficiency will assuming you are loading the PSU similarly.

You know we are comparing a 80+ bronze rated 750watt PSU from a top tier manufacturer to a std 80+ rated 650watt unit from a so so manufacturer in this thread?
Score
October 19, 2011 1:50:04 AM

rolli59 said:
You know we are comparing a 80+ bronze rated 750watt PSU from a top tier manufacturer to a std 80+ rated 650watt unit from a so so manufacturer in this thread?

Reading comprehension FTW...

The statement was:
">>>choose a 650w smps rather than 750w
to save power consumption and power bill .... "

Choose A 650w rather than a 750w...
"this is a myth."

I said "Well not necessarily a myth because you are assuming the 650w and 750w designs are identical."

"when comparing a 650 to [a] 750"; stating this is a myth would imply the author of that comment was assuming the person reading it would think a 750 uses more power because it has a higher rating and the link supports my assumption.

What I added to clarify is that the generalized statement of "A 650W" was to add that it can be either way when known power consumption is not tested. I would further add that manufacturers supposed 80+ rating is rather irrelevant and should be taken with a grain of salt as it is no proof that either PSU is what it claims to be, only that someone somewhere claims it is and even at that with a poor sampling of the pool of actual sold units in the "wild". Further recently talked about in the recent HardOCP article for instance putting a emphasis on PSU manufacturer testing claims and known examples of possible "cheating". Coincidentally recently talked about here:http://hardocp.com/article/2011/10/04/80_plus_irrelevan...

I am only saying that only actual reasonable research and testing will show whether PSU A is superior to efficiency PSU B despite what a manufacturer claims to sell you. And even within manufacturers who are deemed trustworthy, they miss their mark from one model release to the next.
Score
October 19, 2011 1:56:14 AM

rolli59 said:
from a so so manufacturer in this thread?

Furthermore, your opinion that Cooler Master is a so so manufacturer is also irrelevant as they have made truly tested stellar PSU's in the past and have different markets with some of their products to be considered as you put it "so so". Fact remains PSU testing even among hardware review sites is iffy at best and to judge what I would likely guess you dont own many CM PSU's to be "so so" I assume would be irresponsible and not likely fair to CM. Every vendor out there has made some really crap PSU's and if CM is so so, well then I dont know what to say other than that is opinion and not likely based on the PSU A or PSU B in the OP's conversation. Unless they were both thoroughly tested side by side and a large sampling at that procured in the retail market and not cherry picked by the manufacturer as well as samplings to the possible different variants that may exist of the power supplies life cycle.
Score
a c 276 ) Power supply
October 19, 2011 2:08:59 AM

80+ certification does NOT mean that "that someone somewhere claims it is [80% efficient]", it means that the sample submitted to Ecos tested within the required parameters at 25 C. Very few 80+ stickers are faked, and to say it doesn't mean anything is ignorant, it means that the PSU is a decent design and can sustain full load at least briefly at 25 C. If you don't trust that a claim is legitimate check it on the ecos site, its fairly easy to use and has a full list of all unit they have ever given a certificate to.
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.as...

In 2 minutes i found the 80+ reports on the TXV2, the Seventeam built GX 650, and the Enhance built GX 650
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/CORSAIR_CM...
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/COOLER%20M...
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/COOLER%20M...

At 50% load they are within 50W of each others DC load and within 2% efficiency of each other so its close enough to say they will draw the same. Don't discount the 80+ logos, its one of the few things that a legitimate manufacture's marketing department doesn't make up. If you look at the 750TXV2 review done at jonnyguru you will see Oklahoma wolf had very similar efficiency to the 80+ sample in the cold testing.

In the end, once you have an 80+ basic certified unit, the power savings from even 80+ platinum are small and will likely never pay for the price premium for a single user.

If you don't think cooler master is a "so so", its time to look at the reviews of the GX 750, any of them, even the review here at Tom's that was done in the cooler master test facility saw it go out of spec on ripple on the 3.3 V rail, and what do you call their eXtreme Power Plus series they are still selling? If thats not crap in an over priced box i dont know what is. They have some good units, but many many bad ones, their silent pro series is their only good non-discontinued series, yet they continued to make POS extreme power plus units why? They definitely aren't on my top 5, but they haven't made it to my bottom 5 yet either.
Score
a c 697 ) Power supply
October 19, 2011 2:17:05 AM

mickey21 said:
Furthermore, your opinion that Cooler Master is a so so manufacturer is also irrelevant as they have made truly tested stellar PSU's in the past and have different markets with some of their products to be considered as you put it "so so". Fact remains PSU testing even among hardware review sites is iffy at best and to judge what I would likely guess you dont own many CM PSU's to be "so so" I assume would be irresponsible and not likely fair to CM. Every vendor out there has made some really crap PSU's and if CM is so so, well then I dont know what to say other than that is opinion and not likely based on the PSU A or PSU B in the OP's conversation. Unless they were both thoroughly tested side by side and a large sampling at that procured in the retail market and not cherry picked by the manufacturer as well as samplings to the possible different variants that may exist of the power supplies life cycle.

My view is based on information available on the www in many forms test from respectable hardware sites and lists like these that are generated based on many of those tests http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?1080...
http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/667515-referenc...
Not many CM units in the top tiers but lower tiers hold the GX series. I might be biased but I do my research and I have never owned a CM PSU but instead I currently own a few Corsair and Antec PSU's which all are in the top 3 tiers on those list.
CM PSU's I call so so because they actually make (have OEM's make) some good units but the majority of their units is substandard but without the one and one good unit I would call them a bad PSU brand.
Here is a conclusion on a test on the GX750 http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-GX... notice the bit about not being save to run past 450watts?
Score
October 19, 2011 5:25:19 AM

after reading your suggestions ,based on all of your opinions ..... i am thinking to get the corsair 750w

even if some one wants to give me more suggestions pls pls provide me...

i bought the corsair thanks for all your suggestions
Score
October 22, 2011 4:10:41 PM

Best answer selected by izhan22.
Score
a c 276 ) Power supply
October 22, 2011 5:23:12 PM

This topic has been closed by Hunter315
Score
!