High End PC for Graphic Artist

thesooey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Case- Antec Twelve Hundred V3

Processor- Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 95W

Motherboard- ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card- Quadro 4000 2GB

Power Supply- CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W Power Supply

RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB

SSD Drive- Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW300G3K5 2.5" 300GB SATA II

Sound Card- HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

Hard Drive (HDD)- Seagate Barracuda XT ST33000651AS 3TB

Networking card- Intel PWLA8391GT PCI Desktop Adapter PRO/1000 GT

Disk Drive- LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu-ray 3D feature SATA IHBS112-29

Card Reader- Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB Por

Cooling- Thermalright Venomous X - RT 120mm CPU Cooler

Good build overall.

SSD - Stick with a SandForce controller. The OCZ below will perform better than the Intel...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227730

HD - That 3TB drive will probably be fine, but at that price two Samsung F4 2TB drive may be a better option.

Optical - Not sure of the price on that Blu-Ray burner, but there is currently an LG for $80.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136226

GPU - Might want to consider downgrading that to a GTX 580 and add a second down the road if desired. They would outperform the GTX 590 in SLI...

PSU - 1200w is huge! With the 590 or dual 580 GPUs go with a 950w (or even an 850w). Good choice on going with Corsair.

NIC - You sure you need this with the onboard having 10/100/1000?

Enjoy that build. It should scream...

Lutfij

Titan
^ all these parts are fine and dandy for a gamer - probably a dream enthusiast config - but what you didn't include was what sort of software's you'll be running off this rig.

Furthermore;

2| are you going to use the system professionally?
3| having it around clients and maybe in an office?
4| depending on your use, you could cut down on GPU - see that 590 is a lot of muscle gaming wise - int erms of some programs, you might have a bit of a handicap situation.

5| you could invest a lil in a Z68 and an ssd(for caching) if you slice down a bit on GPU. One recommendation
6| don't get one MASSIVE drive - chances are you'll loose all your data in ONE swoop. Get multiple 1~2TB drives (of the same model ofcourse) and have a RAID0 or RAID5 setup - Raid explained

7| You don't need a networking card as you'll get 2 on-board lans (usually from intel)

8| are you interested in a passive cooler to reduce operating noise? or are you looking into OC'ing (the latter doesn't make much sense for now) but reduced temps mean better lifespan for parts - i.e; CPU
9| when you cut down on GPU, you could get a PSU in the 800~850W range.

My 2 cents :)

BTW, welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Edit; beaten by a few minutes to this post :p

thesooey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for the welcome

It would be used professionally, and primarily for extreme high resolution work, and large format printing (current pc's sometimes are unable to save banners billboards etc.

The Pc would be in an office and would primarily be running the adobe suite
-as of right now photoshop is unable to render at effects at certain sizes

and the only reason for the large ssd is loading all design software and the os

Lutfij

Titan
Hmmm :) but there's one thing you don't know. Adobe, uses whats called as scratch disk space. This is similar to creating backups or a dummy data in case you want to revert to the format/image/ effect you initially had.

SSD's are really good with reading but aren't THAT good with writing data. A large SSD only means you have a fast BOAT but can't load it heavily otherwise you see performance taking hit.

The P67 mobo i linked is good, as far as workstations go. Would recommend that over any other P67 mobo, thas used on gaming/high end systems.

If your going ahead with the P67 workstation, you have 8 sata ports. Here's how I'd go;
1 x SSD of any size.
4 x WD Caviar blacks that are in raid 5 and is used to store all your data and if you've read the link i gave about raid, you experience better speed.

I've used photoshop myself and yeah they can't render anything above 1920x1080 with any sort of effects, takes a good amount of time to get the job done. This can account from CPU , ram, mobo and ssd combo.

Although PS says it supports various graphics cards, your much better off getting a quadro or a firepro for the HEAVY rendering duties. A gaming graphics cards is totally handicapped when it comes to rendering (its only good rendering in game graphics not your custom effects) and since budget doesn't seem to be of an issue :) you seem to be the perfect candidate for a $2000 workstation card.

thesooey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
If photoshop, illustrator, and quark are the primary promgrams that are going to be used, would a consumer gpu be ok.

I was under the impression that they were more cpu than gpu heavy

Lutfij

Titan
its taking a shift towards gpu/cpu combo...some gpu some cpu. some both

yeah ofcourse, I used a 8600GT DDR3 256MB Fatal1ty Passive cooled edition for my Illustrator, Photoshop and Flash work back during the CS3 days.

Using consumer GPU would be a better opt IF your also into gaming :p - i know i was one.

A GTX 570~580 would fit your budget :)

with the other recommends, your all set to buy...if you don't have any doubts :/

TRENDING THREADS