Asking for boot disk after replacing broken motherboard

(My pc came pre-installed with windows 7 Ultimate)
Hey everyone, my old motherboard had bad capacitors, since I don't have the skills to replace them, I trashed it and got a new one. Other than being an MSI motherboard and the old one being Intel, they are exact copies of each other. After the install, I booted it up, it showed the start-up logo, then spat this out:

Boot failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A:
Press any key to continue

("Where's the 'Any' key!?" lol)
12 answers Last reply
More about asking boot disk replacing broken motherboard
  1. Did u do a clean windows install?
  2. Can u get in to the safe mode?

Keep pressing F8 button during the BIOS start up.
  3. I Didn't do a reinstall because I don't have the CD, it came pre-installed.
    F8 isn't working.

Update: I put a Ubuntu boot disk from a long time ago(not really), and it booted up with Ubuntu, but it came to a black screen and told me that it couldn't find a live file system. Is it not recognizing my hard drive?
  4. Well, Windows isn't Ubuntu.

And clean install is the key.
  5. Is it a retail version, that pre-installed W7 Ult.? Did u pay extra for it?
  6. If it is OEM Win7, and I think it is, than was it u who activated the windows?

U may have a way to get it activated again.
  7. No, I'm not the one that activated it. It's not OEM, the computer itself far out dates windows 7. I don't have the disk nor the key though, I only recently acquired the outdated thing.
  8. So there is no link to your name and that W7 Ult.?
  9. Oh, update! My motherboard must not be detecting the HDD, because I got into the BIOS and I can't set the HDD as a boot device, only my DVD drive.
  10. robotic38 said:
    (My pc came pre-installed with windows 7 Ultimate)
    Hey everyone, my old motherboard had bad capacitors, since I don't have the skills to replace them, I trashed it and got a new one. Other than being an MSI motherboard and the old one being Intel, they are exact copies of each other. After the install, I booted it up, it showed the start-up logo, then spat this out:

Boot failure
    Insert BOOT diskette in A:
    Press any key to continue

("Where's the 'Any' key!?" lol)

You change the MB and use everything that came with the old PC right? The pre-installed Win 7 OS is solely for the old MB(motherboard) that Win 7 installed on the old MB is tied only and it will only run to the old motherboard. You have to buy a new copy of Win 7.
  11. aqe040466 said:
    You change the MB and use everything that came with the old PC right? The pre-installed Win 7 OS is solely for the old MB(motherboard) that Win 7 installed on the old MB is tied only and it will only run to the old motherboard. You have to buy a new copy of Win 7.

Aw, well that sucks :(

Still can't set HDD as boot device. : :??:
  12. robotic38 said:
    Aw, well that sucks :(

Still can't set HDD as boot device. : :??:

Win 7 Home Premium OEM version ia only $99.99 in Micro Center.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets Windows 7 Boot Motherboards