Sign in with
Your question

Most expensive thing you ever broke while building

Last response: in CPUs
October 18, 2011 11:09:28 PM

what is the most expensive component you've broken while building a PC? e.g. bent pins on i7 990x, frying two gtx 590s at once, lava engulfing your entire build etc

:bounce: 
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2011 11:22:56 PM

My Ego....It is very fragile, and very expensive! Priceless even!
m
l
October 18, 2011 11:23:24 PM

I've burn't my first PC. Unplugged and plugged in the P4 power connector for the CPU.

Also friend a HD and 2 DVD drives by finding out that if I touch the circuit board I can reset the HD and overvolt the DVD drives on the same line. Was fun though.
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2011 11:26:12 PM

I was wearing a watch and smoked a IBM PS/2 Model 80 Motherboard; I was lucky and all that went *POOF* was the Chips and Technology CT82C206. Back when PCs were proprietary units used Microchannel BUS Architecture. Nasty, learned that week how to use a soldering station. Instead of a 1800usd replacement mobo from IBM.

Or once had a defective power plug from the factory the neutral wire went to the ground plane; it blew most of the chips off the motherboard and cracked the i486.

Thanks for all the 'interesting' flashbacks....

On purpose, used a dual mode cga/mga (Color Graphics Adapter/Monochrome Graphics Adapter) and hooked it into a fixed frequency VGA display and wrote and assembly program that switched between modes and watched smoke pour out the back of a monitor. (Demonstration for a group of book trained techies)
m
l
a c 86 à CPUs
October 18, 2011 11:30:42 PM

My marriage

It was pretty shabby anyway , but it did cost a lot
m
l
October 19, 2011 1:04:06 AM

Connecting a new PSU, in germany (was in 110, when it needed to be 220) fried the PSU, MB, HDD1, HDD4, DVD, and Vid. (yes I had 4 HDD's, that weren't RAIDed)
m
l
a c 89 à CPUs
October 19, 2011 2:04:35 AM

back before i knew not to get cheap PSU's and that their ratings cant be trusted, i suspected i had a fault with the psu with random shutdowns. So i tested the psu on my dads computer and it blew up in smoke and took out his motherboard, so i had to get him another one.
m
l
October 19, 2011 2:42:39 AM

I cracked the rear gpu in half on a HD 4870x2 video card while I was trying to replace the factory heatsink with one from Arctic Cooling.

$375.00 down the drain!
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 3:01:10 AM

My first build in high school was a nice (and a bit overpriced) Pentium 3 system. I put it all together, it posted fine, did all the cable management and it looked very nice and clean. Not sure what possessed me, but I decided to take it to the other room to show my dad instead of having him come over to take a look (who is also a big nerd). When I brought it in to set it on the table it slipped from my hands, a corner hit the table, and then the whole case landed on a corner when hitting the floor and cracked the mobo.
What hurt more than making a fool of myself in front of my dad was that I had a very limited income (being an unemployed high schooler), and it took an extra 5 months to replace the case/mobo. By that time the Pentium 4s were out, as well as some much faster/larger/cheaper HDDs (which were important as I was attempting to do real time video editing), and I had to turn down 3 wedding projects that were supposed to pay for the computer in the first place.

Aside from that I had a bad PS that would test fine until under load which I suspect killed 3 mobos over a 2 year period. Technically that was more expensive, but as I was working it was not nearly as painful as that first build.
m
l
October 19, 2011 3:16:05 AM

After building my rig then moving it upstairs then got tripped on the ladder, i saw my rig falling and breaking to pieces on our 16 feet long ladder.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 3:31:35 AM

My arm.I twisted to get one of those rear screws at the back of those full tower cases then suddenly i quickly pull out my arm and with great force my arm broke.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
October 19, 2011 4:35:51 PM

An Althon XP 2xxx+ CPU; can't remember exactly.

Actually, it wasn't really my fault. I was in the middle of installing a new heatsink when my cousin dropped by unexpectly with his 1-2 year old son. Since this was going to be a quick process I left the PC connected to the A/C outlet, and the PC was on the floor.

In less than 2 minutes of chatting with my cousin, his son managed to press the power button to my PC, then POOF!!!! My Athlon XP CPU went up in smoke because the heatsink was not attached.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 7:29:37 PM

jaguarskx said:
In less than 2 minutes of chatting with my cousin, his son managed to press the power button to my PC, then POOF!!!! My Athlon XP CPU went up in smoke because the heatsink was not attached.

LOL. When I built my first computer with a CD drive (yes, back in the '90s when a lousy CD drive cost $200 or more), a friend came over with his 2-yr-old daughter to see this marvel of wizardry. While we were admiring it, his kid took a cardboard beer coaster and stuck it in the drive slot. Took me half a day to disassemble the thing and get the coaster out, as it had bent and jammed inside..
m
l
!