Maximus vs P8Z77-V Pro vs Z77 Sabertooth

elijahsearle

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2012
So all of these mobos are within my current budget.

It's my first build and I'll mostly be using it for gaming.
I'll be using a i5 3570k (OC eventually), EVGA gtx 670 ftw (one more in sli later) and 4x4gb G. Skill sniper 1.25v ram.

So I like the pro for its wifi, but I can easily buy a wireless adapter. I'm more interested in performance and future upgradability.

What would you choose?

The Sabertooth Z77 offers the best warranty (5 years) and I like the chipset & VRM active cooling for OC'ing. Sure the PLX equipped offer 3-4 WAY SLI.

There are several ASUS Maximus and the mentioned EVGA Z77 FTW (PLX) isn't bad nor is the ASU Maximus V Formula with 2-WAY SLI support and good onboard SupremeFX sound.

elijahsearle

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2012
Okay, loving the idea of powerline. Do have a question though, say I went with the z77 sabertooth, is it possible to use 1.25v g. Skill snipers with them? I just checked the asus site and couldn't find anything about voltage.

elijahsearle

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2012
So, went to the g. Skill site, it says it works with z77's but doesn't have any listed. It's compatible with the z68 versions of the pro and sabertooth. Would I be fine? Or should I just bump up to the corsair vengeance 1.35v?

I run DDR3L (1.35v) on my X79 and it works great, and both DDR3L and DDR3U are rated as dual voltage Rated and 1.50v. The AMD's initially had issues with either low voltage RAM but I've never seen an issue on Intel.

So I'd don't see any reason whatsoever for you to have any issues. Once in the BIOS simply set the 'AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP / Profile 1' and everything will be set properly.