Sign in with
Your question

Computer crashing and freezing due to motherboard failure?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Desktops
  • Computer
Last response: in Motherboards
July 14, 2012 3:36:49 AM

So my desktop that I've had for about 2 years has started to crap out on me and I think it's due to motherboard failure.
Some things that occurred that leads me to believe that:
1.Recently the computer prompted me to do windows startup repair. About 2 minutes in the computer froze and I had to reset it.
2.On two separate occasions today the computer froze. Once when I started it up and reached the desktop and a second time when I started up a game.
3.The computer would randomly crash as well. When it crashed two things would happen. Either parts of my screen would pixilate and the computer would make a strange noise then reset or it would just go to a blue screen where it said it was dumping physical memory.

The motherboard I'm using is an Asus M4A78LT-M LE if that helps at all.
So any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : computer crashing freezing due motherboard failure

a c 128 V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 4:49:13 AM

Could be a PSU issue or it could be a memory issue also. Could also be a MB issue. The thing is start troubleshooting starting with your memory. Test your memory using memtest86+. If it passes, you can look elsewhere.
m
l
July 14, 2012 4:56:54 AM

abekl said:
Could be a PSU issue or it could be a memory issue also. Could also be a MB issue. The thing is start troubleshooting starting with your memory. Test your memory using memtest86+. If it passes, you can look elsewhere.

I just installed a new PSU recently after the last one died and I've already run memtest without getting any errors. It's come to the point where the computer won't even properly start up now.
m
l
a c 128 V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 5:25:57 AM

OK. So you've run memtest and the ram's OK. Good.

Can you get a spare PSU to try on your machine?
m
l
July 14, 2012 5:39:00 AM

abekl said:
OK. So you've run memtest and the ram's OK. Good.

Can you get a spare PSU to try on your machine?

I think my friend might have an extra that he can lend me. At this point I'm thinking of just buying a new mobo and seeing if it'll fix the problem.
m
l
!