Sign in with
Your question

CPU and Fan Speed help

Last response: in CPUs
October 19, 2011 12:17:11 AM

Just bought a Phenom II 965BE, but then when I tested it at the first time, the fan speed goes
at 5800+ RPM and CPU temp is 39C.. Is it normal?

Any suggestions? I think its not normal cause the fan makes noise and very fast..

More about : cpu fan speed

a c 352 à CPUs
October 19, 2011 2:59:02 AM

The temp is good, but the fan shouldn't be spinning that fast. Faulty HSF?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 9:10:45 AM

HSF = Heat Sink Fan. In other words, the fan on top of the CPU heatsink.

How are you determining the speed it's going at? Through the BIOS? In Windows, download Speedfan and run it...might give a better idea of what speed it's going at. 5600rpm seems a bit outside the capability of a stock fan to me...not sure if any PC fans go at that speed, actually! I'm guessing it's an erroneous reading.

The temperatures seem fine. Is the cooler you're using the one that came with the CPU?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 9:34:46 AM

wouldnt think any fan other than a 50mm or 60mm would spin that fast

if it is you would know about it from the jet engine sound coming from your pc

look in the bios for cool and quiet or something similar and enable it
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 10:15:50 AM

Basically you need to boot into the BIOS and enable the Auto Fan Controlling features.
My Phenom used to start up like that and then after setting the CPU fan to PWM and enabling the threshold temps to 55C everything is fine now.
Set the minimum Fan speed to 20% and enable 100% Fan control.
It actually all depends on the Board, but this is the way the BIOS setting are available on an MSI board. Asus also has the same features but the language is slightly different.
m
l
October 19, 2011 2:23:45 PM

diellur said:
HSF = Heat Sink Fan. In other words, the fan on top of the CPU heatsink.

How are you determining the speed it's going at? Through the BIOS? In Windows, download Speedfan and run it...might give a better idea of what speed it's going at. 5600rpm seems a bit outside the capability of a stock fan to me...not sure if any PC fans go at that speed, actually! I'm guessing it's an erroneous reading.

The temperatures seem fine. Is the cooler you're using the one that came with the CPU?

just don't know the abbreviation for the heat sink fan (well thanks for answering that hsf :wahoo:  ).

Yes, been using the one that's on the package of the CPU. I didn't install yet an OS so I'm seeing the data through the BIOS.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 2:29:55 PM

I'd not worry just yet, then. Check you've got the fan connected to the correct header on the motherboard (should be connected to the one labeled CPU_FAN) and as long as your temps are within the 40 - 50 deg C mark in BIOS, go ahead and install your OS. You can check the fan speed from there.
m
l
October 19, 2011 2:53:49 PM

I noticed also, after testing it for several minutes, the CPU heats fast.. BTW my board is biostar.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 2:58:56 PM

its normal for the cpu to run a bit hot in the bios--once you get into windows you should hopefully see a difference

if not then check the heatsink is on ok
m
l
October 19, 2011 3:22:16 PM

Ok. will Install an OS and give my feedback ASAP.
m
l
October 20, 2011 3:09:24 PM

thanks for all your help.. its working now with a normal RPM.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2011 3:32:37 PM

you are welcome :D 
m
l
!