Memory Types

G

Since the prices of SDRAM hit lowest prices I what to by some memory and (I’m locking at Micron two 256 so I would have 512 MB) I have a ? for you guys what is the best memory to get like ECC, Registered, SPD (serial presence detection), my mother board supports all of those. But what combination is the best

I heard that if you enable ECC it slows the system down?
Will the Registered SDRAM faster then Non- Registered?
Does SPD will help my mainboard handle the SDRAM better and eventually improve performance of the memory or I can set all the correct settings for memory in bios my self and it will give me same performance?
Are there any other options for the memory beside one I listed?

G

ECC (Error Checking amd Correcting) is maily for servers. I've also heard it's slightly slower than non-ECC RAM.
As for the other 2 types you mentioned, I've never heard of either of them. What motherboard do you have?

G

yes leave it off.

You should stick with the same brand if your leaving in the old stick.

Take care.

G

New mem will replace my current 128 meg so there is no need to stick with same make. And i have SuperMicro SUPER P6DGU mainboard.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rotal on 11/16/00 05:02 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

ECC, Error Checking and Correcting, is 10%-15% more expensive since it uses 72 bits (9 x 8 instead of 8 x 8 bits). The ECC calculations add some latency to the memory writes and reads.
Registered is only needed if you need more than (roughly) 64 RAM chips in your memory bus, e.g. with servers. If so, then you use DIMMs with Register chips so that the chipset electrically "drives" fewer chips: 2 or 3 register chips per DIMM instead of 18 or even 36 chips (big modules usually are for servers, servers all have ECC, obviously). Don't need more than a gig of mem? Stick with unbuffered.
SPD means Serial Presence Detect, it's basically an EEPROM with all important memory data, like timings etc. If your BIOS can handle SPD, and if the memory module manufacturer correctly programmed it, it's the most ideal way to set your memory parameters. Intel and Asus mobo's really like the SPD a lot. However, a lot of "cheap" modules have no SPD or have incorrectly programmed SPD's.Corsair or Crucial modules can be expected to have 100% correctly programmed SPD's. you can check your SPD with ctSPD.exe, to be downloaded at www.heise.de/ct/ftp Please note thaht the current version 0.9.2 has a little bug, it sometimes incorrectly disapproves of the SPD value for "Intel Specific Data". E.g. Corsair modules have value F7h, which is fine (all clocks connected, junction temp. B, support for CAS2&3, support for Intel Auto Refresh) but ctSPD gives that an error. Don't know why...

So my advise would be to go for unbuffered non-ECC memory with a good SPD (especially if you want performance, like with a PC133 CAS2 module).

"I'm a stream of noughts and crosses in your R.A.M."