Photoshop's folder names

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 16, 2005 2:45:33 PM

Hi,

Before I started using Photoshop Elements 3.0, I was using Canon
software to get pictures from my digital camera, and Canon downloads
the pictures into folders named by the date the pictures were taken on.
I don't see how to do that with Photoshop, but I'd really like to. It
makes it far easier for me to find the right picture from different
applications since I can just go by the dates on the folders. Is there
any way to make Photoshop do this? Until and unless I can, I have
reluctantly begun to use the Canon software again because I just can't
stand Adobe's cataloguing system of filing the pictures into folders of
"date downloaded" - who cares about that? I link the pictures to the
dates they were taken. Thanks for any info and/or advice!

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)

free the fish to reply

More about : photoshop folder names

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:04:05 AM

"SeaShel" <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> Before I started using Photoshop Elements 3.0, I was using Canon
> software to get pictures from my digital camera, and Canon downloads
> the pictures into folders named by the date the pictures were taken on.
> I don't see how to do that with Photoshop, but I'd really like to. It
> makes it far easier for me to find the right picture from different
> applications since I can just go by the dates on the folders. Is there
> any way to make Photoshop do this? Until and unless I can, I have
> reluctantly begun to use the Canon software again because I just can't
> stand Adobe's cataloguing system of filing the pictures into folders of
> "date downloaded" - who cares about that? I link the pictures to the
> dates they were taken. Thanks for any info and/or advice!
>

> ---
> Michelle
> (SeaShel)

Michelle,

Methinks you need to dig a little deeper into the options available when you
transfer pics.

You have the option to create a folder and name it whatever you wish before
beginning the xfer. Maybe it's different if you are coming right out of the
camera? I'm using a multi-format card reader and I get several options for
which folder to send them to and what to call that folder.

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 10:20:45 AM

SeaShel <seashel@boxofwsfish.com> wrote:
: Hi,

: Before I started using Photoshop Elements 3.0, I was using Canon
: software to get pictures from my digital camera, and Canon downloads
: the pictures into folders named by the date the pictures were taken on.
: I don't see how to do that with Photoshop, but I'd really like to. It
: makes it far easier for me to find the right picture from different
: applications since I can just go by the dates on the folders. Is there
: any way to make Photoshop do this? Until and unless I can, I have
: reluctantly begun to use the Canon software again because I just can't
: stand Adobe's cataloguing system of filing the pictures into folders of
: "date downloaded" - who cares about that? I link the pictures to the
: dates they were taken. Thanks for any info and/or advice!

I think that what you are looking for is "save as" under the file menu.
When you select this you get a box that allows you to select where to put
the picture (even making a new folder to put it in), what to name it, and
even to change file format. One thing about the last, if the image has
layers it can only be saved in the Adobe format. But if you flatten the
image it can be saved to any supported format. This loses the layers, but
you can save a finished product as a JPG or other format this way.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
March 18, 2005 1:50:15 AM

SeaShel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Before I started using Photoshop Elements 3.0, I was using Canon
> software to get pictures from my digital camera, and Canon downloads
> the pictures into folders named by the date the pictures were taken on.
> I don't see how to do that with Photoshop, but I'd really like to. It
> makes it far easier for me to find the right picture from different
> applications since I can just go by the dates on the folders. Is there
> any way to make Photoshop do this? Until and unless I can, I have
> reluctantly begun to use the Canon software again because I just can't
> stand Adobe's cataloguing system of filing the pictures into folders of
> "date downloaded" - who cares about that? I link the pictures to the
> dates they were taken. Thanks for any info and/or advice!
>
> ---
> Michelle
> (SeaShel)
>
> free the fish to reply

Why 'reluctantly' start to use Zoombrowser again? Have you been able to
download the version 5 upgrade from the Canon USA website? It is much
improved over version 4.x, and I have no trouble using it to retrieve
images from a CF card in a USB 2 card reader, which is much faster than
acquiring images straight from my 300D.

Here's a link to get Zoombrowser 5:

http://alpha03.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900

Also, the RAW image handling in Zoombrowser is considerably better than
Elements 3.

Colin
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 1:59:20 AM

Colin D wrote:
> Here's a link to get Zoombrowser 5:
>
> http://alpha03.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900

That link doesn't work, dammitall. But with a bit of surfing you can
find ZB5 on the web. Me, I'm going to bed, it's 2300 hours local, so
I'm not going to look further.

If you find it, caution: it's a 39megabyte file. If you don't have
broadband, it'll take about 2½ hours to download. But it's worth it
IMHO.

Colin.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 1:59:21 AM

Colin D wrote:
> Colin D wrote:
>> Here's a link to get Zoombrowser 5:
>>
>> http://alpha03.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900
>>

> That link doesn't work, dammitall. But with a bit of surfing you can
> find ZB5 on the web. Me, I'm going to bed, it's 2300 hours local, so
> I'm not going to look further.
>
> If you find it, caution: it's a 39megabyte file. If you don't have
> broadband, it'll take about 2½ hours to download. But it's worth it
> IMHO.
>
> Colin.

Thanks...I have the newest Zoom Broswer, it came with the XT. Reluctant is
only an issue of streamlining - because there's two programs to use instead
of just Elements. But I'll live. :)

---
Michelle
(SeaShel)