Please review build and see if it'll work.

Sylvynn

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hi everybody! I'm searching for a computer and I built this one (theoretically) and, since I'm not very tech savvy (otherwise I'd build my own) I was just wondering if these components would be compatible with each other and end in a working system. Thanks!

Zephyr Intel P67 Core i5/i7 Configurator

Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower Gaming Case - Black

Case Lighting: Sleeved LED Case Lighting - Blue

iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction: None

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion: [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

Processor Cooling: Thermaltake SpinQ CPU Cooling Fan System

Memory: 16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6950 - 2GB - Single Card

Motherboard: [SLI] ASUS P8P67 PRO -- 3x PCI-E 2.0 x16, On-Board Bluetooth

Power Supply: 850 Watt -- CoolerMaster RS850-AMBAJ3-US - ** Back2School Sale! ** FREE Upgrade to CoolerMaster 1000W

Primary Hard Drive: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive: 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - [Lightscribe Technology] Black

Flash Media Reader / Writer: 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Network Card: Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

Solution
I would start by saying, putting together a computer is much easier than you would imagine. Think of it as playing with legos. As far as the build goes here are my two cents.
CPU- drop down the the 2500k as the hyperthreading offer no benefit to gaming
PSU- look for a corsair seasonic antec or other reliable brand, for a single card setup (assuming that you are not going to cf thos 6950's) 650w is plenty.
SOUND CARD- Unnecessary as the onboard is good enough.
NETWORK CARD- Same as sound cards, actually these network cards are nothing more then a gimmick.
MEMORY- 16gb is way overkill, but I suppose with memory being so cheap It isnt that big of a deal, you could easily get away with 4gb although 8gb seems to almost be the new standard.

justjohn5

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
If you will be gaming, then you could save $100 by changing the processor to an intel core i5 2500k. It is better with gaming than the i7 2600k and cheaper. Also 16Gb RAM is a little overkill. I think 8 gb will be perfect.
If you make these changes, you will save money, and can either keep the money, or get a better graphics card. The AMD Radeon HD 6950gb is a really good card for the money. It can be overclocked to work just like a radeon 6970.
So, you can either keep the money, keep your configuration, or change the graphics card to maybe a gtx 570? I do not know if you will save enough money for it but you should check it out. If you do buy the gtx 570 though, get an ASUS or MSI, because many reviews show that the EVGA GTX 570 has a short life. But then again EVGA gives you a life warranty.
So really it depends on what you want.
What resolution will you play on? And one monitor or more?

justjohn5

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Oh and if you really can't build the computer by yourself, I would recommend CyberPowerPc over iBuyPower. Seems as if their computers are a little bit more stable. Anyway, I would not want my case stamped with the title " iBuyPower" just saying.
Really, you should watch some videos on how to build your own computer, it really is not that hard, you save a lot of money, and you feel proud of yourself :)

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I would start by saying, putting together a computer is much easier than you would imagine. Think of it as playing with legos. As far as the build goes here are my two cents.
CPU- drop down the the 2500k as the hyperthreading offer no benefit to gaming
PSU- look for a corsair seasonic antec or other reliable brand, for a single card setup (assuming that you are not going to cf thos 6950's) 650w is plenty.
SOUND CARD- Unnecessary as the onboard is good enough.
NETWORK CARD- Same as sound cards, actually these network cards are nothing more then a gimmick.
MEMORY- 16gb is way overkill, but I suppose with memory being so cheap It isnt that big of a deal, you could easily get away with 4gb although 8gb seems to almost be the new standard.

Solution

Sylvynn

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Yeah, I was building this at IBuyPower PC and though the company's stamp is on the computer and it's annoying, it'd be the same if it was an HP or Dell stamp.

I was planning on one monitor, but I'll probably want to switch to two once I get into photo and video editing. Not sure about the resolution...my current monitor is at 1920x1080 and I was thinking either DisplayPort or HDMI...but DVI would be okay too...it depends on which monitors I pick out. I wanted to buy those in person instead of hoping a monitor found online will turn out okay.

I'm not really a BIG game player like WoW or CoD, though I'd like to have that option if I ever decide to. Mostly I just play the Sims 3 or whatever catches my eye. What I'm really getting it for is for the future video and image editing and 3D rendering I'll be doing.

I wasn't sure which processor to chose since I've no idea how to overclock a system.

The only reason I really chose that PSU is because the site was saying I'd need at least 700~750W PSU for the GPU. And I was reading somewhere that the Intel P67 MB doesn't have onboard graphics so I figured it wouldn't have onboard sound, but, as I said, not very tech savvy... :sweat:

justjohn5

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Well if you will want to be photo editing and video editing you should stick with tthe intel core i7 2600k.
If you were to be gaming with, like you said, COD or WoW then the i5 2500k would be the better choice.