Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2011 1:52:40 PM

My current setup is:
Phenom 9500
6gb corsair xms pc8500
nvidia 512mb 9600gt superclocked
500w psu

I am looking at upgrading my graphics card, and I am *** little confused on which card to purchase. I will be building *** new PC here within the next month or so and as of right now I will be going with the i5-2500k but for right now I am lagging on COD Black Ops and it is killing me. I am debating between the nvidia 460 and ati 6850/6870 don't want to go too much above $200. Ok guys and gals let me have it on which card and why.

More about : graphics card

a c 214 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 14, 2011 2:19:31 PM

What is the make/model of your power supply?

What resoultion are you playing at?

Upgrading to the GTX460 or one of the 68xx series cards would be *** huge improvement over the 9600GT.I know this GPU upgrade is only *** temporary card as *** quick fix that will be following into your next build but either choice will be severly bottlenecked by your CPU.You will see an improvement over the 9600GT but only slightly because of the CPU.

EDIT: Dunno why but it's censoring out "Aye".Wherever theirs * it means Aye as in the first letter of the alphabet.
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 14, 2011 2:28:48 PM

^ I agree.Although the Sandy Bridge processors are really good I encourage you to hold off on the processor ugprade unti AMD's new lineup is released sometime in June or July.It's AMD's first major design change since 2003 so hopefully they will have something to bring to the table against Intel.And even if you still want to go with Intel wait because when AMD release's their new lineup it is very possible that Intel may have to lower their prices to compete.
Related resources
May 14, 2011 2:48:57 PM

purple stank said:
^ I agree.Although the Sandy Bridge processors are really good I encourage you to hold off on the processor ugprade unti AMD's new lineup is released sometime in June or July.It's AMD's first major design change since 2003 so hopefully they will have something to bring to the table against Intel.And even if you still want to go with Intel wait because when AMD release's their new lineup it is very possible that Intel may have to lower their prices to compete.

While I understand that the 9500 was AMD 1st quad core and by no means is anywhere near the best out there...it would bottleneck either of those mid range graphics cards? Also I will wait to see what's out there, that is my choice of CPU's as of right now. I rushed with the 9500 and boy I wish I would have waited. I did my current build about 2 weeks after it launched. I did successfully get it to run stable at 2.8ghz for what it's worth!
May 14, 2011 2:50:50 PM

Quote:
HD6870 is currently the best card u can get under USD200.

u can do for this Asus Direct CU HD6870 USD199, USD 179 after Rebate

or if u can expand ur budget *** little bit more

XFX HD6950 1GB USD239, USD 209 afer rebates

I agree that the CPU upgrade is necessary to see performance boost though.
and since u're going upgrade in the next month, consider waiting for Bulldozer due June 20th

Well the budget isn't the problem its just more of buying upper midrange cards and then upgrading in 2 years.
May 14, 2011 3:00:35 PM

purple stank said:
What is the make/model of your power supply?

What resoultion are you playing at?

Upgrading to the GTX460 or one of the 68xx series cards would be *** huge improvement over the 9600GT.I know this GPU upgrade is only *** temporary card as *** quick fix that will be following into your next build but either choice will be severly bottlenecked by your CPU.You will see an improvement over the 9600GT but only slightly because of the CPU.

EDIT: Dunno why but it's censoring out "Aye".Wherever theirs * it means Aye as in the first letter of the alphabet.

Power Supply is Ultra and im only on *** 19" LG monitor so 1440x900
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 14, 2011 3:11:06 PM

Do you know the model number?

How many amps are on ther 12/v rail(s)?
May 14, 2011 3:49:22 PM

purple stank said:
Do you know the model number?

How many amps are on ther 12/v rail(s)?

28A
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
May 14, 2011 4:13:16 PM

Your going to have to upgrade your PSU for those cards then.Seems like a good idea anyway,i'm sure if you bought the PSU the same time of your CPU then it's probably aged quite a bit,time for an upgrade.

Do you have a budget for the new PSU?
!