GA G1 Sniper 3 not detecting 4th video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlockingsky

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
I have a Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3, i7 2600k, 16gb ram, and 4 GTX680 installed. Windows device manager only shows 3 GTX 680 and I am trying to make 4way-SLI.

The 4th video card is at the bottom of the mobo, and I can see the video card fan spinning when the computer is powered on. I had also tested the video card on a different slot and it is confirmed working.

Can someone help me with this? thanks.

Solution

I said that the ATX4P connector is on the motherboard. It's right beside the white SATA3 ports.
Gigabyte_G1_Sniper_3_ATX4_P_Port.jpg

I think it might, actually. If you look on this page http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/306/images/model.html and go down to the G1. Sniper 3 it DOES actually say that it supports 4-Way SLI.

Features & Software

3D Power, 3D BIOS,
Gen. 3 support, Ultra Durable 4,
EZ Smart Response,
Onboard OC buttons,
Creative Sound Core 3D, mSATA,
4 way SLI, 4 way CrossFireX, SLI,
On/off charge, Lucid MVP,
All Japanese Solid capacitors,
WiFi+Bluetooth 4.0, LAN Optimizer

Also, if you look further down the page that you linked, they confirm that.

Yes, but is it four-way with two dual-GPU cards? Most boards that say that they support 4-way SLI or Quad SLI actually only support it through two dual-GPU cards such as the GTX 590 and the GTX 690.

THAT's a good question, BUT, it should theoretically support true 4-Way SLI because the slots are x16, x16, x8, x8.

I wish board manufactures would make that distinction. Also, a lot of boards that say that only have 2 x16 slots capable of x8 or better. The G1. Sniper 3 has 4 such slots.

This too.

The Gigabyte program manager confirmed to Sin that it is 4-way SLI compatible just like the other PLX chip Z77 boards. Nothing in writing yet that I know of but the Gigabyte site is suppose to be updated reflecting the new information soon.

Why is there a 4-Way SLI bridge connector included with the motherboard if it's not supported?

The PLX Technology PEX 8747 PCIe 48-lane switch chip on the motherboard is what allows it to be supported. Each of the four PCIe x16 slots would be operating in x8 mode.

Maybe the original BIOS didn't support four Nvidia cards, but a newer version does. OP, try updating your BIOS. Also, make sure that you have the latest drivers. That might solve this issue.

Having read into it a little more OP, did you make sure that you plugged in a SATA power connector to the slot right next to the 24 pin power connector and that your PSU has enough wattage for four GTX 680s? You'd best have, at the very least, a 1KW PSU... I'd recommend more like a 1.2KW PSU at a minimum. If you're running out of power, then the last GTX 680 might not be getting enough power to work properly. The fan should work even if it gets almost no power because it doesn't need nearly as much as the GPU and memory do.

unlockingsky

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

i had already updated my bios to f5 version. and still no show on windows device manager.

i have 1.2kw psu already and every card is powered.

But did you connect a SATA power connector from the power supply unit to the motherboard's ATX4P power connector?

The graphics cards also draw some of their power from the +3.3V and +12V power lines in the PCIe x16 Slot. The ATX4P connector on the motherboard is suppose to supply the extra power to the PCIe bus as required when you are using more than two graphics cards.

unlockingsky

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

are you telling me that there is a sata connector on the video card? i have 2x 6pin connected to the video card. if there is a sata connector on the video card, please post screenshots.

I said that the ATX4P connector is on the motherboard. It's right beside the white SATA3 ports.
Gigabyte_G1_Sniper_3_ATX4_P_Port.jpg

Solution

unlockingsky

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
i got it... it was the atx4p that i didn't connect... after a couple reboots and visiting the bios, it finally shows up in windows device manager... i still don't know exactly what cause the delay. but i am a happy fellow now.

All right then, I guess that's case closed for now if you've already done an SLI test. Feel free to check back in if there are more problems later on ;)

unlockingsky

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

hell no more problem... 2sli and 3sli was a easy experience... but 4way sli was a learning curve because of the atx4p. i spent a total of 4 days getting 4way sli to work. on the other part. i will now try to find ways to enhance my case cooling. i have a azza hurriane 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.