Sign in with
Your question

Administrate two different connections (lan and usb) to one pc Vista at the same

Last response: in Networking
September 21, 2010 8:09:04 PM

Hello,I have one lan adsl connection that can be wireless or with cable, and a usb connection with my iphone 3gs tethering unlimited. I was wondering if there is a chance of having this two connections working at the same time, but have them working on specified application separately, like for example one for downloading heavy stuff using a certain application while using the other one at the same time to surf the internet at high speed.

Cheers
a b X LAN
September 29, 2010 12:00:08 AM

Yes and no (it’s a little complicated).

Windows (and most OSes) just don't work that way. Network access is purposely kept more abstract to keep things simple and easy to manage (from the end-user perspective). Most applications address the network w/o respect to a specific network interface. The one exception is server applications. Some server applications can be bound to specific network interfaces; one of them, some of them, or all of them. But for the typical Windows end-user application, the environment just isn't designed to provide that kind of fine control.

That said, I can think of one way to “indirectly influence” Windows to use the network interface you want; use a VM (virtual machine), such as Virtual Box. Because you can control which network interface(s) is seen within the virtual environment, it’s possible to have the host system use one network interface, while limiting the guest system to the other network interface. Now you can INDIRECTLY chose which network interface is used based on which system (host or guest) is running a given application.

Granted, it’s not the most convenient solution, but it does work.

Another possibility is to create multiple, local networks. Perhaps one network interface is using the 192.168.1.x network, while the other network interface is using the 192.168.2.x network. If you then place different resources on the different networks, then obviously Windows will use the appropriate network interface to access a given resource.

Here again, it’s not necessarily convenient since you have to configure and manage multiple local networks. And you can’t really have internet access from both network interfaces at the same time. When given two or more network interfaces that provide a gateway to the Internet, Windows will chose the one w/ the highest priority and use it exclusively. So you couldn’t be downloading a large file on one network interface, while simultaneously browsing a website on the other network interface. The only way that’s going to happen is using the VM solution I discussed previously.

As I said, a bit complicated. It’s probably more trouble than it’s worth for most ppl. But if you must have this capability, at least these strategies will work.

m
l
Related resources
!