Nate711

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Recently I got Bad Company 2 for PC, but when I play it, my two 5770's go crazy. The fans make a ton of sound and the temperature reads almost 100c when I'm running BC2 at low quality. This isn't normal is it? When I'm on my desktop, the temps read between 30 and 40c. Just Cause 2 also makes the cards really loud. I'm using Thermaltake V9 case (the one without the side fan). Does anyone know whats going on?

Nate711

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Update: After installing and using msi afterbuner, I found that my second card is not doing anything. The temp hovers around 33c and the gpu usage percentage is around 0. Why is it not using the second card?

I've heard of a lot of cards in crossfire not being utlized when playing BFBC2.Some people can get it to work but i guess it depends on the hardware,the outcome is different for everyone.

The only thing I can tell you is to make sure you have the Crossfire profiles from AMD and the newest drivers.
Also when the cards are loud that usually means their being stressed a lot so they tend to heat up thus meaning the fans speeds up to cool it.Try not to exceed the 100c barrier or you risk overheating.

Have you done any type of overclocking?

What model Asus 5770 do you have?

Try taking the door off your case and see what your temps are like then.Is their anyway you can post a picture of the inside of your case looking at the GPU's and how their setup.Trying to look at any airflow problems.

Nate711

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Here is a pic
IMG_3198.jpg

Should I get a replacement card (maybe a 6870) or invest in a better cooling system (new case, water cooling)??

Nate711

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
By "front bays" do you mean where the dvd-rom is? There aren't any fans on the big side door and the thin side doors each have one 120mm fan. Should I get a VGA card cooler (Accelero 2?) for the 5770's or get a 6870 and sell the 5770's? Would getting a better case be any help?

No,that case is fine.I bet your problem is that the cards are too close and they get no ventailation.
And by bays I mean the Hard Drive bays,their are empty bays beneath your HD so use that for the extra cables.You could also use the DVD ROM bays too,infact that would proably be better so the front 200mm fan can blow air to them.Fit what you can underneath the DVD-Rom and place the others in the HD Bays.
Getting a single 6870 sounds like a good idea.But be sure to get one with aftermarket cooling like something from MSI or Asus.

Nate711

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
I'll probable settle on a 6870. Are the MSI 6870 Hawk or MSI 6870 Twin Frozer good? Is the gigabyte 6870 with "Windforce 3x" any good? Would betting a XFX reference card and getting a Artic twin turbo be good? How much is a decent water cooling system?

sharpbrick

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
purple stank: ati catalyst says that it runs around 30c under load with a light oc to 1000mhz from the stock 900mhz. that is also on the same loop as my cpu oc'd to 3.6
Nate711: the hawk edition cards are very nice i have had some of them (5770) dont know much about the othe brands though. getting a decent water cooling loop is going to be around 300-400$ depending on what pumps rads and blocks you get.