[Solved] HP M8200n Desktop PC Intermittently Shuts Down

Iceman24

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hello everyone. Thanks for taking the time to read this and for your help.

I have a friend who has this computer and I'm trying to help him with this problem.

His computer has turned itself off after a few seconds of being on over and over typically around 5 times before it will finally boot up all the way. It's not very consistent. When it turns off, it stays off, never reboots itself. Usually, after around 5 tries, it works.

The only time it has ever turned off at any other time is during Windows Vista Welcome screen once and a couple times while playing a game (but not a really intensive 3D game, just a relatively basic one).

This has happened on and off for several weeks. Sometimes he could go several days without any issue, and then maybe after 1 or 2 tries of booting it up, it worked. He keeps it sleep mode a lot so he doesn't have to cold boot it and that works well.

Does any have any idea or input as to what this may be?

I was thinking perhaps a power supply as the most likely culprit, but without being able to reproduce the problem enough, even if I swapped him in new one, it could take awhile before we know if that was it.

Thanks again.

Solution
Overheating could cause this. Fans inside need to be thoroughly cleaned ( don't miss the PSU). If this does not solve it, try the PSU swap. Let us know how it goes.
If the PC has been moved recently, check all the cards/modules to be plugged all the way in, also the cables/connectors.
Overheating could cause this. Fans inside need to be thoroughly cleaned ( don't miss the PSU). If this does not solve it, try the PSU swap. Let us know how it goes.
If the PC has been moved recently, check all the cards/modules to be plugged all the way in, also the cables/connectors.

Solution

Iceman24

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for the reply house70. Sorry it has taken so long to respond, but I had determined that it was the motherboard (bulging capacitors). I've since rebuilt the computer and it is working fine. The PSU actually failed a test as well, so both components were bad.

Cool, glad it worked out for you.