Computer won't start with 3 memory sticks

edzha90

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Hello, I have an issue my computer doesn't want to start with three memory sticks even all three sticks are same. Basically it's working only when it's with two sticks plugged in.

What should I do to make computer working with three memory sticks ? thank you,
Ed

Not all dual/quad-channel motherboards support odd numbers of memory sticks. If your board doesn't support it, then there is probably nothing that you can do to use three sticks. The third stick might be faulty or if there is a fourth memory slot, you might need to occupy it as well as the third in order to expand your memory capacity without replacing your current modules. Try testing the third stick with one of the other two to try to ensure that it works properly.

Then that leads me to believe that your motherboard only supports dual-channel memory. You almost definitely can't use an odd number of memory modules in that computer. You can try a BIOS update, but it probably won't help.

edzha90

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Thanks guys for help, but it's a bit strange that a motherboard has 3 memory slots but it seem only two is working.

On some Dual Channel MOBO's 3 sticks 'can' work, and older systems it often will not work, BUT if the 'Stick' doesn't exactly match (Frequency, CAS, Voltage, SS vs DS, etc) it might not. No, not all situations are the same. If the RAM is pre-DDR3 the likelihood of it all working is remote.

Q - What CPU?
Q - What MOBO?
Q - What EXACT Sticks? ; please provide a link to ALL sticks.
Q - What BIOS version?
Q - What DIMM Slots?

Lets start there and see where the problem is and if it 'can' be corrected.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
If the ram slots are all the same colour then it should work however, it could be that your motherboard is dual ddr2/ddr3 and the third slot is DDR3 singular whereby you either have 2 DDR2 or ONE single DDR3 stick, if the third slot is slightly spaced away from the other two slots.

As Expert has asked, give all your details.

dersuaniko

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

This is because some motherboards need whole the bank are full ( oldiest).

DSC_0013.jpg

If one memory bank have two slots, then both have to be used ( in these atipical boards).

82143.image0.jpg

Therefore, this may be of same kind of memory.

This is cause some time we get less memory detected while they are put into slots.

c00309904.jpg