Sign in with
Your question
Closed

P9X79 Deluxe vs Rampage IV Extreme?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 14, 2012 6:29:18 PM

Hey everyone! I'm building a new PC. I was wondering what the major differences are, and which one is better?
These are going to be the specs
64GB of ram
2 x GTX 670 4GB
LGA 2011 Intel Core i7 3930k
1200w PSU
256GB SSD
3TB HDD

I might in the future want to upgrade to 3 x GTX 670, (probably won't)
So guys... Which one? Money is not the issue, it's overall for performance and other things like that. Thanks guys!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 7:02:21 PM

What is this computer for, gaming? If so, then step that RAM down to at most 16GB unless you know for a fact that you'll do something ridiculous enough to use that much RAM... Also, if you're going for SLI/CF, the 7970 or 7950 might be a better choice, especially if three-way is in the plan. 2GB of VRAM on a 1500MHz 256-bit memory bus can cause serious bottle-necking problems with very high end gaming computers, but 3GB on a 1375MHz 384-bit bus has no such problems. Also, step down that PSU to at most a 900w. I recommend an 800w myself. Going too far in the wattage can drastically reduce PSU lifespan almost as much as going too low in wattage would.

With the money you save, you can get a ridiculously high end storage setup. For example, how about four 256GB Intel 510 SSDs in RAID 5 for supreme reliability and performance? Or, a single larger SSD that doesn't rely on compression for it's performance, such as a 512GB Vertex 4.

Also, the 3930K is not any faster than an i5-2500K for gaming performance, so if that is what this build is for, then you're wasting your money. If this is a high-performance productivity build, then that might be a whole other story if you do any highly threaded work and maybe you can use more RAM, although 64GB is still incredibly more than practical. In that case, 7970s could be far better options than 670s
Score
July 14, 2012 7:30:07 PM

The computer won't be for gaming, some of it will. Thanks for all the information about it! The Computer will be mostly for video editing and 3DS Max animations, but I want to do some gaming as well ;) . Though you still haven't answered my question... Which motherboard should I go with? Thanks!
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 7:44:57 PM

intensityfims said:
The computer won't be for gaming, some of it will. Thanks for all the information about it! The Computer will be mostly for video editing and 3DS Max animations, but I want to do some gaming as well ;) . Though you still haven't answered my question... Which motherboard should I go with? Thanks!

For 64GB of RAM, you'd pretty much need to have an eight DIMM socket motherboard because 16GB modules are more server oriented (and priced to fit) right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think that this is the one that I'd recommend for 64GB of RAM. Also, even for what you say that you'll be doing, using more than 16GB of RAM still seems very unlikely... Using more than 32GB seems almost impossible unless you're going to do stuff with very large RAM drives.
July 14, 2012 7:54:39 PM

Thanks! I will definitely check those two guys out!
Score
July 21, 2012 12:13:16 AM

Best answer selected by intensityfims.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 21, 2012 12:19:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!