Dell Optiplex GX620 BIOS Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord_Pluto

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
I am trying to update the BIOS on my dell optiplex gx620, it is no longer running the stock os, Windows XP Pro 32 bit, but now running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I keep getting errors when trying to use the BIOS updater. I ran as "administrator" and then windows stops the BIOS updater because of unsigned drivers, i have before changed settings so that it will install unsigned drivers, but it still won't.

Thanks for any help given! :hello:

Solution

Yes to the first question and probably no to the second question. What you might do is get another storage drive (maybe even a USB flash drive), remove the Windows 7 drive, install XP x32 on that other drive, try updating the BIOS and if that works, then shutting down the computer to reconnect the drive that holds the Windows 7 installation and then maybe reformatting the XP drive.
You might need to run Windows XP for that to work. Windows XP 32 bit doesn't have much support, if any at all, for Windows 7 drivers, especially 64 bit drivers, so anything in that update that needs XP drivers will fail to work. Anything that tries to use 32 bit XP drivers in Windows 7 x64 will also fail and that is likely what's going on here.

Yes to the first question and probably no to the second question. What you might do is get another storage drive (maybe even a USB flash drive), remove the Windows 7 drive, install XP x32 on that other drive, try updating the BIOS and if that works, then shutting down the computer to reconnect the drive that holds the Windows 7 installation and then maybe reformatting the XP drive.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.