Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dell Optiplex GX620 BIOS Update

Last response: in Motherboards
July 14, 2012 6:50:56 PM

I am trying to update the BIOS on my dell optiplex gx620, it is no longer running the stock os, Windows XP Pro 32 bit, but now running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I keep getting errors when trying to use the BIOS updater. I ran as "administrator" and then windows stops the BIOS updater because of unsigned drivers, i have before changed settings so that it will install unsigned drivers, but it still won't.

Thanks for any help given! :hello: 
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 6:54:16 PM

You might need to run Windows XP for that to work. Windows XP 32 bit doesn't have much support, if any at all, for Windows 7 drivers, especially 64 bit drivers, so anything in that update that needs XP drivers will fail to work. Anything that tries to use 32 bit XP drivers in Windows 7 x64 will also fail and that is likely what's going on here.
Score
July 14, 2012 6:58:31 PM

is there a way i can do this with out, getting rid of my windows 7 install?
Would a virtual machine work?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2012 7:08:40 PM

Lord_Pluto said:
is there a way i can do this with out, getting rid of my windows 7 install?
Would a virtual machine work?

Yes to the first question and probably no to the second question. What you might do is get another storage drive (maybe even a USB flash drive), remove the Windows 7 drive, install XP x32 on that other drive, try updating the BIOS and if that works, then shutting down the computer to reconnect the drive that holds the Windows 7 installation and then maybe reformatting the XP drive.
July 23, 2012 11:55:45 PM

Best answer selected by Lord_Pluto.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 24, 2012 2:16:00 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!