Sign in with
Your question
Closed

6870 Crossfire possible with PSU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2011 11:14:42 PM

Hey i was thinking of adding in another XFX Radeon HD 6870 into my system by the end of the summer. I was wondering if this PSU would be able to handle the extra load..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also the PCI-E 6 pin power cables that came with it are both double headed, if that makes sense. If it doesn't then i'll try to explain it. Coming from the PSU the wire splits into two PCI-E 6 pin male connectors. The second male connector comes out directly from the first male connector. Would I be able to use these connectors for crossfire or would it reduce the amount of power that goes into each GPU?

If it still doesn't make sense i'll try taking a picture of it and posting it up.

PS: I'm also fully aware my MOBO doesnt support x16/x16. It only allows x8/x8 which i've read is a small performance loss.. Very negligible to the amount of performance I will gain so I don't mind it.

More about : 6870 crossfire psu

Related resources
May 15, 2011 9:36:17 AM

Yes, that PSU will be able to run CF 6870.
Score
May 15, 2011 10:19:53 AM

ok great! now i have to figure out if the connectors will work with it..... biggest concern right now
Score

Best solution

May 15, 2011 1:33:51 PM

Well, a pictures worth a thousand words, but that picture doesn't show much... (sorry way too dark)

That aside I own a couple Antec TP 650watt supplies; they come with the correct connectors for a crossfire setup:

2 x 6-Pin, 2 x 6+2-Pin

Just use one 6 pin & one 6+2 pin per card.

I've got 5770's running in crossfire in my rig no issues with connections...........

NOTE: that 650watt is a good supply and this site recommends a 600watt supply for CrossFire so size SB good

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
May 15, 2011 6:04:12 PM

jb6684 said:
Well, a pictures worth a thousand words, but that picture doesn't show much... (sorry way too dark)

That aside I own a couple Antec TP 650watt supplies; they come with the correct connectors for a crossfire setup:

2 x 6-Pin, 2 x 6+2-Pin

Just use one 6 pin & one 6+2 pin per card.

I've got 5770's running in crossfire in my rig no issues with connections...........

NOTE: that 650watt is a good supply and this site recommends a 600watt supply for CrossFire so size SB good

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

So it would be ok to use one wire with the 6+2 pin and 6 pin pci-e male connectors that are attached together? The power won't be diminished when using that type of connection?
Score
May 16, 2011 11:57:00 PM

Yes this will be perfectly fine.......

It won't reduce the voltage, or limit the current delivered to your cards in any way.

BTW, I took the side panel off my computer and looked at the PCI-E cables on the Antec TP 650watt supply that powers it, NOW I understand what you were describing. One cable from the supply has a 6 pin PCI-E and the wires simply daisy chain (loop) over to the SECOND 6 + 2 pin PCI-E connector.

Score
May 22, 2011 6:03:18 AM

Best answer selected by dgio21.
Score
May 22, 2011 9:48:57 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!