Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Corsair TX 750 airflow question

Last response: in Components
October 19, 2011 9:31:34 AM

I'm currently running this PSU inside a Coolermaster HAF- X, I have the PSU's big fan facing downward against the bottom of the case where their is a vent. I am trying to work out whether this is right. Does this big fan blow air or suck it in?
Either way, it's not going to be very effective since it's facing the bottom of the case which sits on the ground.... :heink: 
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2011 9:40:06 AM

got the same psu and same case--thats the way i put my tx 750 in as i thought it better it was sucking cool air in--rather than fan upward as got 2 exhaust fans on the top to take hot air out

though i have put the wheels on the haf x to make sure the psu is able to suck the air in--if you dont have

the wheels on and its sitting on carpet it might be a bad idea
October 19, 2011 10:16:14 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
got the same psu and same case--thats the way i put my tx 750 in as i thought it better it was sucking cool air in--rather than fan upward as got 2 exhaust fans on the top to take hot air out

though i have put the wheels on the haf x to make sure the psu is able to suck the air in--if you dont have

the wheels on and its sitting on carpet it might be a bad idea

So the vent on the back of it where the power switch is blows hot air out?

God damnit, now I have to flip it over, hopefully it doesn't twist the wires too much.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2011 10:25:10 AM

yes--not saying you absolutely have to do it that way --but it works better for me than having the large fan upwards--but as i said i do have the wheels on to make sure it can draw cooler air in the bottom
October 19, 2011 10:30:10 AM

mcnumpty23 said:

yes--not saying you absolutely have to do it that way --but it works better for me than having the large fan upwards--but as i said i do have the wheels on to make sure it can draw cooler air in the bottom

Okay, I have the big fan facing down, but 3/4 of it is uncovered as I have about 1/4 of the case hanging out over the desk (it's safer than it sounds lol).

Do you think 3/4 of the fan uncovered is enough? :o 
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2011 10:46:35 AM

yeah you do need a big desk for a haf x thats why mine is on the floor :D 

should be ok i would think

you can always add the second 200mm fan to the top to exhaust more hot air--i did that and also managed to fit the larger 230mm fan that goes on the front onto the side panel--bit tight but it will go on there

so now i have 230mm front intake--230mm instead of 200mm side intake--2 x 200mm top exhaust and the corsair h50 drawing air inwards at the back

the reason for upgrading the fans was that the h50 worked better drawing cooler air inwards over the rad than exhausting hot air out over it
October 19, 2011 10:58:09 AM

Oh so you configured your case to push all the hot air upwards instead of out the back?
Smart, as hot air naturally rises :p 

I think I might give that a try, although I am going to need to buy another 200mm fan for the second spot on the top of the case.
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2011 11:06:16 AM

the idea came from my other case the silverstone raven rv02--it uses a top to bottom airflow rather than

the conventional front to rear and as you say the hot air rises anyway--seems to work fine as with a

4.2ghz i7-920 and an overclocked gtx570 in there the system temps showing 31c
October 19, 2011 11:13:23 AM

So the only problem I am seeing right now is the dead spot around the GPU. The side fan sucks cool air in right? ( Haven't tried it yet, side of case is off)

I am thinking I should set up that airduct thing that came with the case. I have a spare small fan that would fit perfectly.
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2011 11:26:29 AM

dont know if theres a dead spot but my gtx570 runs really cool--overclocked to 855mhz and 4400mhz on

the memory and its idling now at 26c in gpuz which is 5c cooler than easy tune is reporting the system

temperature--though i dont know where abouts it takes the system temperature from--i believe cpuz is

pretty accurate --and it is the asus direct cu version so has huge

heatsinks and fans --takes up 3 slots
October 19, 2011 11:33:04 AM

Well the GPU is the only thing I haven't upgraded yet. I am planning on getting a ASUS GTX 580 direct cu. I think I should be right for now, coretemp says my 2500k is idling at 22 degrees celcius which seems like a good indicator that my case temp is low.

If I have temp problems with the 580 (which I doubt I will), I'll configure the airduct.

Thanks for the help :) 

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2011 11:35:28 AM

you are welcome
October 19, 2011 11:38:38 AM

Best answer selected by -Sylvan.
!