More RAM?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2005 4:33:29 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron (don't know the model number, but it's 4 years
old). It has become really, really slow within the past year or so.
All the windows slowly close and it freezes constantly. I'm thinking I
need more RAM as it still has it's original 128 and since I've gotten
it, I've installed Windows XP along with many other programs. If I go
and get RAM installed so that it's 512, does that generally take care
of the slowness? I don't want to take my computer into a store and
tell them I want RAM and then they end up talking me into getting other
things installed that i dont really need. So, is RAM usually the cause
of slowness?

Thanks!
Lisa

More about : ram

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2005 6:02:53 PM

With a four year old machine, you have a totally outdated processor in
there. While adding more RAM will help out to some degree, that dinosaur of
a processor is a problem. As one reply to your post indicates, RAM could be
very expensive for your Inspiron. If it turns out that RAM will cost you
more than about $150 to purchase and install, consider putting that money
toward a new laptop. You have a four year old, RAM starved, outdated unit.
Don't throw much money at it.

<lis0122@msn.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Inspiron (don't know the model number, but it's 4 years
> old). It has become really, really slow within the past year or so.
> All the windows slowly close and it freezes constantly. I'm thinking I
> need more RAM as it still has it's original 128 and since I've gotten
> it, I've installed Windows XP along with many other programs. If I go
> and get RAM installed so that it's 512, does that generally take care
> of the slowness? I don't want to take my computer into a store and
> tell them I want RAM and then they end up talking me into getting other
> things installed that i dont really need. So, is RAM usually the cause
> of slowness?
>
> Thanks!
> Lisa

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2005 6:50:12 PM

lis0122@msn.com wrote in news:1121283209.060435.9800
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I have a Dell Inspiron (don't know the model number, but it's 4 years
> old). It has become really, really slow within the past year or so.
> All the windows slowly close and it freezes constantly. I'm thinking I
> need more RAM as it still has it's original 128 and since I've gotten
> it, I've installed Windows XP along with many other programs. If I go
> and get RAM installed so that it's 512, does that generally take care
> of the slowness? I don't want to take my computer into a store and
> tell them I want RAM and then they end up talking me into getting other
> things installed that i dont really need. So, is RAM usually the cause
> of slowness?
>
> Thanks!
> Lisa

yes indeed.... 128 is outrageous!!!!! you will notice a huge difference
with an adequate amount of RAM.
Related resources
July 14, 2005 12:29:51 AM

lis0122@msn.com wrote:
: I have a Dell Inspiron (don't know the model number, but it's 4 years
: old). It has become really, really slow within the past year or so.
: All the windows slowly close and it freezes constantly. I'm thinking I
: need more RAM as it still has it's original 128 and since I've gotten
: it, I've installed Windows XP along with many other programs. If I go
: and get RAM installed so that it's 512, does that generally take care
: of the slowness? I don't want to take my computer into a store and
: tell them I want RAM and then they end up talking me into getting other
: things installed that i dont really need. So, is RAM usually the cause
: of slowness?

128MB is too little RAM for Windows XP. My recommended minimum for a
usable system is 256MB, preferably 512MB. This computer probably uses
SDRAM so the prices may be more expensive than modern RAM would be to
upgrade.

It may be very easy to add RAM to your computer. Tell us the model
number - I'll look it up for you on the Dell website or someone else
can tell you how hard it is to add RAM to that model. To see exactly
what type of RAM it needs, go to http://www.crucial.com and tell it
your computer's model number, etc., and it should tell you.

Keep this in mind: your computer may already have all the RAM slots
occupied - for example, it might have two RAM sockets filled with 64MB
each. (Or one could be empty - just depends.) To upgrade, you would
need to remove one and maybe both of the existing chips if there are
no empty DIMM sockets.

But you'll be amazed at how much quicker your computer will be with
just 256MB of RAM!

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
July 14, 2005 2:35:05 AM

Kevin <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote:
: With a four year old machine, you have a totally outdated processor in
: there. While adding more RAM will help out to some degree, that dinosaur of
: a processor is a problem. As one reply to your post indicates, RAM could be
: very expensive for your Inspiron. If it turns out that RAM will cost you
: more than about $150 to purchase and install, consider putting that money
: toward a new laptop. You have a four year old, RAM starved, outdated unit.
: Don't throw much money at it.

Actually, a four-year-old CPU may be fine for surfing the web and word
processing. I work with some non-profits with old computers, and I
have found that even very old computers with slow CPUs work quite
well so long as they have enough memory. I'm talking about 500MHZ
Pentium II+ class being OK for many people. I've also wiped
(re-installed Windows from scratch) two older laptops in this class
for people recently and upgraded the RAM from 128MB to 256MB in one
case - a Sony Vaio - and after the upgrade Windows XP worked
perfectly well.

FYI, I managed to find a used 128MB PC100 SO-DIMM for the Vaio for
only $15 (to upgrade the Vaio to 256MB), and it has worked perfectly.
It's amazing what a little RAM upgrade can do for an old computer and
how cheaply it can be done sometimes.

Andrew

: <lis0122@msn.com> wrote in message
: news:1121283209.060435.9800@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
: >I have a Dell Inspiron (don't know the model number, but it's 4 years
: > old). It has become really, really slow within the past year or so.
: > All the windows slowly close and it freezes constantly. I'm thinking I
: > need more RAM as it still has it's original 128 and since I've gotten
: > it, I've installed Windows XP along with many other programs. If I go
: > and get RAM installed so that it's 512, does that generally take care
: > of the slowness? I don't want to take my computer into a store and
: > tell them I want RAM and then they end up talking me into getting other
: > things installed that i dont really need. So, is RAM usually the cause
: > of slowness?
: >
: > Thanks!
: > Lisa
: >
: >

--

Andrew
--

Andrew wrote:

> Kevin <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote:
> : With a four year old machine, you have a totally outdated processor in
> : there. While adding more RAM will help out to some degree, that
> : dinosaur of
> : a processor is a problem. As one reply to your post indicates, RAM
> : could be
> : very expensive for your Inspiron. If it turns out that RAM will cost
> : you more than about $150 to purchase and install, consider putting that
> : money
> : toward a new laptop. You have a four year old, RAM starved, outdated
> : unit. Don't throw much money at it.
>
> Actually, a four-year-old CPU may be fine for surfing the web and word
> processing. I work with some non-profits with old computers, and I
> have found that even very old computers with slow CPUs work quite
> well so long as they have enough memory. I'm talking about 500MHZ
> Pentium II+ class being OK for many people. I've also wiped
> (re-installed Windows from scratch) two older laptops in this class
> for people recently and upgraded the RAM from 128MB to 256MB in one
> case - a Sony Vaio - and after the upgrade Windows XP worked
> perfectly well.

FWIW, my old Thinkpad 770 with 192 meg RAM is still quite adequate for many
purposes. I wouldn't try to put XP on it but it runs 2K just fine.

Further, if you're budget-limited it may be cost effective to put in a
heavy-duty server and use the existing PCs as thin clients.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

<lis0122@msn.com> wrote in message
| I have a Dell Inspiron (don't know the model number, but it's 4 years
| old). It has become really, really slow within the past year or so.
| All the windows slowly close and it freezes constantly. I'm thinking
| need more RAM as it still has it's original 128 and since I've gotten
| it, I've installed Windows XP along with many other programs. If I go
| and get RAM installed so that it's 512, does that generally take care
| of the slowness? I don't want to take my computer into a store and
| tell them I want RAM and then they end up talking me into getting
other
| things installed that i dont really need. So, is RAM usually the
cause
| of slowness?
|
| Thanks!
| Lisa

Before you make any hardware changes, there are a number of housekeeping
tasks that can help speed up your system. Do a system

1) empty the recycle bin

2) empty all of the Temp files. Do search for *.TMP and *.~mp files and
delete them

3) from Run in the Start Menu, type CHKDSK/F and reboot

4) run Defrag to defragment the HDD

5) if you don't already have these programs, D/L AdAware and SpyBot and
run them. You could have a lot of spyware slowing down your system.

6) switch from the MAC look to the Classic Desktop and turn off all
animations and other eye candy.

7) if you have hundreds of fonts, delete the ones you'll never use.

After these steps, your PC may run a lot better.

Next add memory but don't invest too much in a laptop that's probably
worth only $200-$400.

Good luck

Chas.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2005 10:38:25 AM

Thanks for all the replies! It's a Dell Inspiron 8000 and according to
www.crucial.com it has SDRAM and a max capacity of 512 RAM. I'm not
sure if both slots are being used, so I'll check that later on. You
made a good point in that I shouldn't spend too much money on RAM for a
computer that isn't worth much anyways. I really want to get away with
just installing the bare minimum that will make my computer run like a
normal computer. Right now, it's so slow that it's pretty much
unusable and I want to tear my hair out every time I use it. When I
close a window, it closes pixel by pixel - it's crazy. I use my laptop
as a secondary computer anyway - I have a desktop that is my primary
computer.
So, I'm not sure how this works. If I wanted to upgrade to 256 instead
of 512, if both slots are being used with 64MB each, do I remove one
and install 192MB? About how much would that cost? And if one slot is
being used with the 128MB and then I install 128MB in the other slot,
about how much would that cost? Is there any certain brand that I
should buy or are they all pretty much the same? I'm a newbie here so
bare with me. ;)
I don't know if this has anything to do with this decision, but my
harddrive has 9 gigs of storage and I'm currently using only 3 gigs.

Thanks again. I appreciate your help.
Lisa
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2005 2:48:27 PM

You guys have been great. Thanks for all the feedback - I really
appreciate it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2005 4:06:32 PM

| You guys have been great. Thanks for all the feedback - I really
| appreciate it.

I have a 5 year old IBM 240x 500MHz Pentium III with only 192MB of
memory that runs WinXP fine.

Forget about all of the hardware stuff for starters and do my
suggestions in a previous post concerning cleaning up your software
first.

Any PC running as slow as you are suggesting very likely has a lot of
temporary files and a lot of files in the Recycle Bin: delete them and
run CHKDSK/F from Run in the Start Menu, reboot and let it fix any
problem then run Defrag.

I've seen PCs with hundreds of MBs of Temporary files and Recycled files
that run normally after a simple cleanup operation.

After you've done the MS Windows basics, get copies of the free anti
spyware programs AdAware and Spybot and run them to cleanup any malware
that may be slowing down your system.

Next update your antvirus software - you are running an antivirus
program aren't you - and run it. If you don't have one or yours is out
dated there are plenty of good ones available, some are even free.

Chas.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2005 6:36:54 PM

> So, I'm not sure how this works. If I wanted to upgrade to 256 instead
> of 512, if both slots are being used with 64MB each, do I remove one
> and install 192MB? About how much would that cost? And if one slot is
> being used with the 128MB and then I install 128MB in the other slot,
> about how much would that cost? Is there any certain brand that I
> should buy or are they all pretty much the same? I'm a newbie here so
> bare with me. ;)

On your 'puter each slot can hold up to 256 MB. Memory comes as 64, 128, 256, 512,
etc MB modules, so act accordingly. Memory is cheap, so you may want to max it out
to 512M by buying 2 256M modules.
Go with a reputable source - Crucial is great. A 256 MB module for your machine
should be no more than $60-70 (yes...almost twice as much as the modules for newer
machines...)

> I don't know if this has anything to do with this decision, but my
> harddrive has 9 gigs of storage and I'm currently using only 3 gigs.

The drive capacity is not a problem here, but the data access speed of your drive is.
You may want to upgrade it, too to a 5400 or (preferably) 7200 RPM drive with a
larger data buffer. Together with the memory upgrade it'll make a huge difference in
speed.

And don't buy the "obsolescence" spiel: as long as the machine is in good condition
and its speed and features are enough for your needs - it is not obsolete. We still
use 600 MHz laptops with the maximum of supported RAM and modern hard disk drives.
Work great for word processing, spreadsheets, web surfing, email, etc. - 95% of the
stuff that we do :-)))

--
><eM eL><
July 14, 2005 8:12:42 PM

On 14 Jul 2005 06:38:25 -0700, lis0122@msn.com wrote:

>Thanks for all the replies! It's a Dell Inspiron 8000 and according to
>www.crucial.com it has SDRAM and a max capacity of 512 RAM. I'm not
>sure if both slots are being used, so I'll check that later on. You
>made a good point in that I shouldn't spend too much money on RAM for a
>computer that isn't worth much anyways. I really want to get away with
>just installing the bare minimum that will make my computer run like a
>normal computer. Right now, it's so slow that it's pretty much
>unusable and I want to tear my hair out every time I use it. When I
>close a window, it closes pixel by pixel - it's crazy. I use my laptop
>as a secondary computer anyway - I have a desktop that is my primary
>computer.
>So, I'm not sure how this works. If I wanted to upgrade to 256 instead
>of 512, if both slots are being used with 64MB each, do I remove one
>and install 192MB? About how much would that cost? And if one slot is
>being used with the 128MB and then I install 128MB in the other slot,
>about how much would that cost? Is there any certain brand that I
>should buy or are they all pretty much the same? I'm a newbie here so
>bare with me. ;)
>I don't know if this has anything to do with this decision, but my
>harddrive has 9 gigs of storage and I'm currently using only 3 gigs.
>
>Thanks again. I appreciate your help.
>Lisa

Ram only comes in 64,128,256,512,and 1 gig, there is no 192MB RAM
stick(that I know of). When you open up your computer,you'll see on
the one stick how much memory it is, and should be able to decide
which to buy from there, to get you to your desired RAM level (512
hint! hint!).

If you are running XP, strongly suggest minimum 256, best to go with
512...it will save your hair. XP may run fine once you get up and
running, but start using other apps and background processes, and XP
quickly runs out of RAM (more hair loss). Any amount less than 512, I
would suggest Windows2000(for security and stability). The more RAM
you get, probably the longer you'd be able to use your laptop
comfortably.

If you can save all your information off your laptop, wipe the hard
drive, install anti-virus and SpyBot. It's easier and faster to wipe
the HD than remove spyware/viruses. It cleans the system of old
registry entries, files and programs not used, and other stuff I'm
sure.

The suggestions by other readers here are right on target, so try to
accomodate some their suggestions as well.

Good luck!
samurai
July 14, 2005 8:24:00 PM

OK, good. Find out whether the Dell has two 64MB SO-DIMMs or just one
128MB SO-DIMM. If it has just one, you can order just another 128
SO-DIMM. You don't necessarily have to get it from Crucial, but you
should try to get one that is to the specs they list for your
computer. Looking at the one in there and seeing if it has markings
on it telling you its specs might be helpful. Sometimes two SO-DIMMs
do not work together. Just tried combining one 256MB PC2100 SO-DIMM
already in my laptop with a new PC2700 512MB SO-DIMM (laptop runs it
at PC2100) and they did not work together, I could not even power up.
But I could plug in the new 512MB SO-DIMM by itself.

Where I live (Portland), I can buy cheap computer stuff used on
Craigslist.org, Portland section. You could also try buying an
SO-DIMM off of eBay. Once you plug any new DIMM in, though, no matter
where you get it, you should try to run a program called Memtest in
your computer to make sure your computer RAM is working fine. If you
have a CD burner somewhere that's best - try here:

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

and make a bootable CD or floppy.

Andrew
--