Your question

Mother board and case?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Cases
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
July 14, 2012 8:16:55 PM

Hello, i'm wondering would these fit in my case.

My case is a cooler master elite 430 black
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Asus M5A97 PRO 970 Socket AM3+ 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
http://www.ebuyer.com/270702-asus-m5a97-pro-970-socket-...

gtx 560
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-ENGTX560-GTX-560-DirectC...

amd phenom ii x4 965 BE
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Phenom-II-x4-965-Black-Ed...

More about : mother board case

a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2012 12:49:19 AM

You should be fine. However, I'd recommend getting a good Radeon 7770 over the GTX 560.
July 15, 2012 12:56:53 AM

blazorthon said:
You should be fine. However, I'd recommend getting a good Radeon 7770 over the GTX 560.

I already have a gtx 560.. :/ 
Related resources
July 15, 2012 1:00:48 AM

blazorthon said:

I just noticed i had the wrong motherboard listed. Look at it now would that still work?
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2012 1:28:17 AM

Leem123 said:
I just noticed i had the wrong motherboard listed. Look at it now would that still work?

Still yes. That's an ATX motherboard and an ATX case.
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2012 1:28:43 AM

Leem123 said:
I already have a gtx 560.. :/ 

Oh well, no big loss except in power consumption and very highly overclocked performance, the latter of which not being very relevant to most people. Just be sure that you don't skimp on your PSU and get a cheapy or a used model. Wattage and wattage/price isn't everything and isn't even always accurate (yes, they lie to you about the wattage on many PSUs) on very cheap PSUs.
July 15, 2012 1:31:36 AM

blazorthon said:
Oh well, no big loss except in power consumption and very highly overclocked performance, the latter of which not being very relevant to most people. Just be sure that you don't skimp on your PSU and get a cheapy or a used model. Wattage and wattage/price isn't everything.

I have this PSU: http://www.ebuyer.com/264380-xfx-550w-core-edition-pro-...

And would this Ram work that motherboard? I think it will: http://www.ebuyer.com/264750-g-skill-8gb-ddr3-1600mhz-r...
July 15, 2012 1:39:53 AM

I was told to get that psu off of here. :)  Well I'm going to get the motherboard and that G-Skill 8GB Ram for that board. Thanks for your help much appreciated. :) 
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2012 1:42:44 AM

Leem123 said:
I was told to get that psu off of here. :)  Well I'm going to get the motherboard and that G-Skill 8GB Ram for that board. Thanks for your help much appreciated. :) 

Glad to help.
July 15, 2012 5:26:36 PM

blazorthon said:
Glad to help.

Would i need to buy windows 7 again? I bought the PC with Windows 7 already in it?
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2012 8:26:14 PM

Leem123 said:
Would i need to buy windows 7 again? I bought the PC with Windows 7 already in it?

Maybe, maybe not. This might need some more effort to work out. I'll see if I can help you not need to buy a new OS.

If your case is from the previous computer and not one that you just bought for your new computer, then I'd have to assume that you built your last computer rather then it is an OEM computer (correct me if I'm wrong here). If it isn't an OEM computer, then I'd also have to assume that you bought the OS license in use on your previous computer and that it is a retail version. Retail versions of Windows are supposed to be transferable between computers (legally), so if this is true, then you should be able to not need to buy a new one so long as you either have the key used in your previous computer or can get that key.

If MS gives you a call (highly unlikely), then don't worry about it because they can't do anything other help you or hang up because this is perfectly legal and allowed in their own licenses. I've never had a call from MS over this (or anything else) and I've done it at least dozens of times on many different computers. I admit that I haven't read the entire license for any version of Windows, but I've read some things in them and can say that I am 100% sure that this is legal with retail copies.

However, if you're using an OEM copy, then it is not legally transferable. However, it could still be done legally if you're careful. What you would need to do is install all of the necessary drivers for the new motherboard, CPU (usually not necessary unless you move from one manufacturer to another for CPUs because I'm pretty sure that the drivers for a CPU never get updated because problems with CPUs are instead fixed in the BIOS), and if necessary, any other parts that you change over (don't install a graphics driver until you have the card that you're installing the driver for already plugged in and connected to the computer). Then, you'd change the parts over (motherboard, CPU, etc. etc.) and give it a try. If it works, then great. If not, then you try booting into safe mode to see if there's anything that you can do. If not, then you put the old parts in and try again. If it works, then you uninstall any and all drivers for the old hardware that you removed to reduce the chance of any drivers from conflicting with each other and causing crashes.

I apologize if any of this seems like I'm patronizing you; I'm just trying to be thorough.
July 15, 2012 8:29:45 PM

blazorthon said:
Maybe, maybe not. This might need some more effort to work out. I'll see if I can help you not need to buy a new OS.

If your case is from the previous computer and not one that you just bought for your new computer, then I'd have to assume that you built your last computer rather then it is an OEM computer (correct me if I'm wrong here). If it isn't an OEM computer, then I'd also have to assume that you bought the OS license in use on your previous computer and that it is a retail version. Retail versions of Windows are supposed to be transferable between computers (legally), so if this is true, then you should be able to not need to buy a new one so long as you either have the key used in your previous computer or can get that key.

If MS gives you a call (highly unlikely), then don't worry about it because they can't do anything other help you or hang up because this is perfectly legal and allowed in their own licenses. I've never had a call from MS over this (or anything else) and I've done it at least dozens of times on many different computers. I admit that I haven't read the entire license for any version of Windows, but I've read some things in them and can say that I am 100% sure that this is legal with retail copies.

However, if you're using an OEM copy, then it is not legally transferable. However, it could still be done legally if you're careful. What you would need to do is install all of the necessary drivers for the new motherboard, CPU (usually not necessary unless you move from one manufacturer to another for CPUs because I'm pretty sure that the drivers for a CPU never get updated because problems with CPUs are instead fixed in the BIOS), and if necessary, any other parts that you change over (don't install a graphics driver until you have the card that you're installing the driver for already plugged in and connected to the computer). Then, you'd change the parts over (motherboard, CPU, etc. etc.) and give it a try. If it works, then great. If not, then you try booting into safe mode to see if there's anything that you can do. If not, then you put the old parts in and try again. If it works, then you uninstall any and all drivers for the old hardware that you removed to reduce the chance of any drivers from conflicting with each other and causing crashes.

I apologize if any of this seems like I'm patronizing you; I'm just trying to be thorough.

I bought a pc with windows 7 already in it.. I'm going to buy windows 7 anyhow as i have the money for it, is there anything i need to do if i buy windows 7? Just install new motherboard and then turn it on and then what?
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2012 9:21:14 PM

Leem123 said:
I bought a pc with windows 7 already in it.. I'm going to buy windows 7 anyhow as i have the money for it, is there anything i need to do if i buy windows 7? Just install new motherboard and then turn it on and then what?

I gave instructions for not needing to do this, but it's your choice to not use them if you don't want to and would rather pay for a new license key. If you're just installing a copy instead of trying to transition it over like the OEM example I gave does, then you'd do the same thing that you do in the first example, except you buy a new key instead of using the old one. You put the computer together and when it's all put together, you turn it on and go into the BIOS.

You might want to make sure that there aren't any problems with settings such as the SATA ports (should be set to AHCI, not IDE emulation mode), memory (make sure that your memory is running at it's rated specifications for the frequency and timings). After that, you pop the Windows DVD in and boot up (obvious thing here, but I'll say it anyway: make sure that your hard drive is properly connected). You simply install Windows from there. It's very easy, has a full GUI, and the process is both simple and self-explanatory. If you really need help, then you'd probably be able to get better help than I can give by doing a Google search for "how to install Windows 7 on my computer" or something like that, but I'm fairly sure that you won't need help.
July 15, 2012 9:25:44 PM

blazorthon said:
I gave instructions for not needing to do this, but it's your choice to not use them if you don't want to and would rather pay for a new license key. If you're just installing a copy instead of trying to transition it over like the OEM example I gave does, then you'd do the same thing that you do in the first example, except you buy a new key instead of using the old one. You put the computer together and when it's all put together, you turn it on and go into the BIOS.

You might want to make sure that there aren't any problems with settings such as the SATA ports (should be set to AHCI, not IDE emulation mode), memory (make sure that your memory is running at it's rated specifications for the frequency and timings). After that, you pop the Windows DVD in and boot up (obvious thing here, but I'll say it anyway: make sure that your hard drive is properly connected). You simply install Windows from there. It's very easy, has a full GUI, and the process is both simple and self-explanatory. If you really need help, then you'd probably be able to get better help than I can give by doing a Google search for "how to install Windows 7 on my computer" or something like that, but I'm fairly sure that you won't need help.

And if my memory timings aren't right, how do i fix that?
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2012 9:32:18 PM

Leem123 said:
And if my memory timings aren't right, how do i fix that?

BIOS settings. If it isn't right, then you simply increase or decrease the timings to the right numbers. Same goes for the frequency and voltage of the memory. If you want an exact run-through of how to do it, then I'm sorry, but almost every BIOS is different and since I don't have the board that you want to buy, I have no idea what to say about it. There should be a manual for the BIOS in the box that your motherboard ships in that explains how to do this and much more. For more help, you could look up reviews on the board and they will almost definitely have details on the BIOS, but that shouldn't be necessary. If you know anyone who has that same board (even if only online), then speaking to that person (or persons) could be the best course of action, but again, that shouldn't be necessary.
July 15, 2012 9:36:43 PM

blazorthon said:
BIOS settings. If it isn't right, then you simply increase or decrease the timings to the right numbers. Same goes for the frequency and voltage of the memory. If you want an exact run-through of how to do it, then I'm sorry, but almost every BIOS is different and since I don't have the board that you want to buy, I have no idea what to say about it. There should be a manual for the BIOS in the box that your motherboard ships in that explains how to do this and much more. For more help, you could look up reviews on the board and they will almost definitely have details on the BIOS, but that shouldn't be necessary. If you know anyone who has that same board (even if only online), then speaking to that person (or persons) could be the best course of action, but again, that shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks man! I'm going to buy Windows 7 online and get it sent out with the motherboard and install the motherboard and then insert the Windows disk and install it from there? Am i correct? Just want to make sure. :) 
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2012 9:53:44 PM

Leem123 said:
Thanks man! I'm going to buy Windows 7 online and get it sent out with the motherboard and install the motherboard and then insert the Windows disk and install it from there? Am i correct? Just want to make sure. :) 

What do you mean by install the motherboard? All that would be is screwing it to the case (or whatever other way that the case holds motherboards; some cases don't use screws). You'd need the entire new computer already fully built (including all cables being properly connected) in order to Install Windows onto the hard drive. That includes a DVD drive to put the Windows DVD into if you use a DVD. You could also use a flash drive if you want to, but you'd need to copy Windows over to the USB flash drive with one of a few certain programs (all of which that I know of are free) on a working computer with working USB ports.
July 15, 2012 9:55:12 PM

blazorthon said:
What do you mean by install the motherboard? All that would be is screwing it to the case (or whatever other way that the case holds motherboards; some cases don't use screws). You'd need the entire new computer already fully built in order to Install Windows onto the hard drive. That includes a DVD drive to put the Windows DVD into if you use a DVD. You could also use a flash drive if you want to, but you'd need to copy Windows over to the USB flash drive with one of a few certain programs (all of which that I know of are free) on a working computer with working USB ports.

I already have a built PC with dvd,hdd and all that in it, I'm looking to change the old motherboard to the one above..
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2012 9:57:24 PM

Leem123 said:
I already have a built PC with dvd,hdd and all that in it, I'm looking to change the old motherboard to the one above..

You're only changing the motherboard? Well then, you might as well use the Windows version that you already have. Buying a new one would just be a waste of time and money.
July 15, 2012 9:58:49 PM

blazorthon said:
You're only changing the motherboard? Well then, you might as well use the Windows version that you already have. Buying a new one would just be a waste of time and money.

But i don't have a clue on how to use it with the new motherboard I'm getting? It's the OEM Version so?
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2012 10:08:56 PM

Leem123 said:
But i don't have a clue on how to use it with the new motherboard I'm getting? It's the OEM Version so?

The last paragraph of the post that I ended with an apology if it seemed like I was being patronizing is all about what to do with an OEM version. All you do in this scenario is install the drivers for the new motherboard, shut down the computer and unplug it's power cable, hit the power button to ensure that there is no more power (lights might flash for a few seconds and fans might also run during that time, but it should quickly run out of power completely), exchange the motherboards (don't forget to unplug and remove everything from the board and then plug it all into the new board), plug the power cable back in, and power on. It should work just fine. If not, then we can try trouble-shooting some more and if nothing works, then you can buy a new copy of Windows 7 while knowing that you at least tried. If it does work (it probably will), then you just saved yourself some money. This is legal. What isn't legal with the OEM licenses (from what I know of them) is to try re-using the key on another computer.
July 15, 2012 10:14:00 PM

blazorthon said:
The last paragraph of the post that I ended with an apology if it seemed like I was being patronizing is all about what to do with an OEM version. All you do in this scenario is install the drivers for the new motherboard, shut down the computer and unplug it's power cable, hit the power button to ensure that there is no more power (lights might flash for a few seconds and fans might also run during that time, but it should quickly run out of power completely), exchange the motherboards (don't forget to unplug and remove everything from the board and then plug it all into the new board), plug the power cable back in, and power on. It should work just fine. If not, then we can try trouble-shooting some more and if nothing works, then you can buy a new copy of Windows 7 while knowing that you at least tried. If it does work (it probably will), then you just saved yourself some money. This is legal. What isn't legal with the OEM licenses (from what I know of them) is to try re-using the key on another computer.

Well looking for answers online, out of most of people asking about the motherboard/windows 7 thing said they needed a new Windows 7. :/ . I don't want to try it and then it not working as I will have to wait like 2-3 days for another version of Windows 7?
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2012 10:48:41 PM

Leem123 said:
Well looking for answers online, out of most of people asking about the motherboard/windows 7 thing said they needed a new Windows 7. :/ . I don't want to try it and then it not working as I will have to wait like 2-3 days for another version of Windows 7?

Most people who tried it probably did it wrong. Most people who try much of any such tasks with technology do it wrong even if it is a very simple procedure because they had no clue as to what they were doing. Regardless, again, it's your decision, I'm just saying that not only is it not what I would do and what I would do instead of wasting money on another Windows 7 license key. Also, you shouldn't need to wait if this doesn't work. Just buy digital copy that you can download when you buy it or you can simply buy a key and download an eval copy that you activate with your key to turn it into a full copy. Unless you have absolutely no access to any other computer, you can either burn the disk yourself or copy it over to a flash drive or even to a hard drive if you don't have a flash drive.
July 15, 2012 11:00:17 PM

blazorthon said:
Most people who tried it probably did it wrong. Most people who try much of any such tasks with technology do it wrong even if it is a very simple procedure because they had no clue as to what they were doing. Regardless, again, it's your decision, I'm just saying that not only is it not what I would do and what I would do instead of wasting money on another Windows 7 license key. Also, you shouldn't need to wait if this doesn't work. Just buy digital copy that you can download when you buy it or you can simply buy a key and download an eval copy that you activate with your key to turn it into a full copy. Unless you have absolutely no access to any other computer, you can either burn the disk yourself or copy it over to a flash drive or even to a hard drive if you don't have a flash drive.

Anywhere i can buy a key?
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2012 11:15:09 PM

Leem123 said:
Anywhere i can buy a key?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/shop

Choose the version of Windows 7 that you want by clicking on the "learn more" text next to the version that you want. The next page that loads let's you choose if you want to buy a downloadable version with a downloadable key instead of buying a physical DVD that you need to wait to get shipped to you. Also, I know that the Ultimate version says "More computing power.", but it is lying. There are also probably other places where you can buy downloadable Windows DVD images and license keys.
July 15, 2012 11:33:20 PM

blazorthon said:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/shop

Choose the version of Windows 7 that you want by clicking on the "learn more" text next to the version that you want. The next page that loads let's you choose if you want to buy a downloadable version with a downloadable key instead of buying a physical DVD that you need to wait to get shipped to you. Also, I know that the Ultimate version says "More computing power.", but it is lying. There are also probably other places where you can buy downloadable Windows DVD images and license keys.

What about 32bit and 64bit? How do i know what i am? atm i am 64 bit :/ 
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2012 11:41:02 PM

Leem123 said:
What about 32bit and 64bit? How do i know what i am? atm i am 64 bit :/ 

You should get both when you buy a retail copy of Windows and you should be able to choose which type to install.
July 16, 2012 3:03:42 AM

blazorthon said:
Yes, that is an OEM copy.

So this is fine?
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2012 6:15:42 PM

Leem123 said:
So this is fine?

It is if you want an OEM copy.
July 16, 2012 6:17:45 PM

blazorthon said:
It is if you want an OEM copy.

Well if i get the OEM Version is that fine?
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2012 6:26:37 PM

Leem123 said:
Well if i get the OEM Version is that fine?

It's the same Windows 7 operating system. The difference is just that the license doesn't include both 32 bit and 64 bit versions and it isn't intended to be reused on different computers. The retail license includes both of these. There might be other minor differences, but I'm not aware of any.
!