Which is better for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhhcliff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I WANT TO KNOW WHAT WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE AS I AM GOING TO USE THIS PC ONLY FOR GAMING SHOULD I GO FOR THE ALMIGHTY I5 2500k WHICH IS COSTING ME 20K OR
GO FOR X4 955BE+MOBO WHICH I am getting for 7.2k from a friend??????????

Solution
1) For gaming, there is no doubt that the 2500K is better than the X4. Gaming needs two or three fast cores, and there is nothing faster than sandy bridge.

2) The graphics card is much more important for gaming than the cpu. If the price difference lets you buy a significantly better graphics card, then get the cheaper cpu and spend the difference on a better graphics card. That will give you the best gaming today.

3) As to the future, the 2500K will not need replacing when ivy bridge arrives. The 2500K, when overclocked to 4.0 will drive any graphics configuration well. The Z68 and P67 motherboards will be forward compatible with ivy bridge. Past that, who knows?

hhhcliff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
yup i know i5 2500k is awsome but i just dont like intel cause of their habbit of making socket extinct soon i had a lot of trouble finding a good mobo for my q6600 which was working fine and as a result had to sell it off and because of this i am not sure if i should go for i5 since am worried the 1155 socket will also be extinct in say 3yrs time
taken it easily outpeforms x4 and am really tempted of geting it cause of its oc ability but wanted to know if there is going to be a significant diff bet them in gaming considering am geting x4 for 7.5k shipped
also wanted to know if the price is good or should i ask for less as procc is 1 yr old and mobo is dfi 790fx???
i wait so damn long just to be shattered by seeing the bd benchmarks

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
955BE for the price is the best option. if you are interested, there is a Zogma 960T chip that unlocks to a hex-core for roughly 7.35k (rough estimate), but im not sure its available for you. Should be a decent OC'er due to the fact its a black edition as well.

Side note: "Don't feed the beast!"

1) For gaming, there is no doubt that the 2500K is better than the X4. Gaming needs two or three fast cores, and there is nothing faster than sandy bridge.

2) The graphics card is much more important for gaming than the cpu. If the price difference lets you buy a significantly better graphics card, then get the cheaper cpu and spend the difference on a better graphics card. That will give you the best gaming today.

3) As to the future, the 2500K will not need replacing when ivy bridge arrives. The 2500K, when overclocked to 4.0 will drive any graphics configuration well. The Z68 and P67 motherboards will be forward compatible with ivy bridge. Past that, who knows?

Solution

hhhcliff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Alright so I guess i5 is the much superior cpu but buying the x4 would be a better option considering the price right as am.going to use it only for gaming and I guess I wont suffer much lag because of x4 when I combine it with 560ti ??????

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
2500k and 2600k are both quad-core cpu's. for gaming, the only real difference is the price. applicational work loads, the 2600k does give a bit better margin for performance, but honestly, you're better off with the i7 9xx at that point.

hhhcliff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
will be upgrading my monitor to a 22" when I get the procc.was thinking of skipping the sb as x4 955peforms quite good in gaming and am getting procc mobo combo only for 7.2k and then maybe upgrd ltr say aftr 2yrs hopefully amd will realease a good enough procc by then

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
if you are going with amd, and a quad core is your choice, i would recommend the Zosma 960T. Its a stable BE quad-core, so its good for OC, but has the chance to unlock 2 more stable cores. Its priced right at $125. Asrock makes a 990fx board for $140 that has everything you will need, and a grood OC board.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

I am not sure what you are talking about.The lga 1366 was the top of the line socket for almost 4 years.
Back when from Nov 2008 and until this time and still going strong.So you still think 4 years its not time for an upgrade?

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Sorry for being rude mate.But i dont think intel is keen on using socket 1366 for 20 years.

hhhcliff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Cant anyone selling zosma here in india

Yup I hear h67 goona be compatible with ivy but as I said earlier m not a big intel fan simply because they change sockets soon and leave the end user stranded

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Ivy bridge will be good for many years to go.
Here is the support list.As you see the p67, H67 and z68 all support Ivy bridge.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4830/intels-ivy-bridge-architecture-exposed

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
thats only because they release new cpu's so much faster. 1155 is a great socket, and should be around through Ivy Bridge, and possibly Haswell release. If AMD released as many cpu's as INTEL, they would have a lot more socket changes too. Intel wants people to buy new chips, but they also need people to buy new mobos so that the companies that feed them money (important thing) can make more money to give them. Hence, new sockets mean new mobos, means more money for companies. its a nasty circle, but that is a reason intel has so much money for research and pushing newer, better products.

I would imagine 1155 socket being around another 2-5 years, depending on what you would call "obsolite".

hhhcliff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
^^^gna
Bro firstly m not interested in1366 socket would love if they would kp the 1155soc for long but I seriously doubt it I think max it will b there for 2more yrs and then they will release a diff socket and again the headache of finding a good mobo
M saying they should atleast release good mobo of part socket na when they are changing the socket of their flagship model
I had bought a q6600 ok now I know its past its prime but it still peforms well when overlocked to 3ghz but the sad thing was I could not find a single mobo of 775 socket that could overclock it well as a result I hd to part with it

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Things to think about:

____Mart computers are replaced every 1-3 years, or eat up hundreds extra on "repair" costs.

People who buy seperate hardware or build themselves upgrade every 1-5 years, depending on budget ability.

If you are saying that any intel socket is dead within 2-3 years, i fear you are wrong.

Technology is improving so fast, 2-3 years IS obsolite. I don't want to sound like an intel fanboy, as i am an amd fanboy, but you shouldn't change people's minds by saying intel's sockets dont stick around long enough. 775 sockets are still available for purchase, and they are how many years old? Just because you can't OC your crappy q6600 chip doesn't make that socket board dead.

hhhcliff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
firstly am not trying to change anyones mind dear m just stating the fact
Correct me if I am wrong but mostly people choose intel for better peformance regardless of price
When I say that I mean they dnt have any prob to change the entire sys after a couple of yrs
And amd for their price peformance ratio
And for your info am no amd fanboy rather a intel actually
When I am saying the sock dnt stay long enough I am basically sayin intel doesnt release good enough mobo after some time and for your info q6600 is still a kiss ass procc for gaming if you have a good mobo for it

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I have no idea where we are going with this then. You have all your recommendations, either a 955BE/960T, or an i5 2500k. What is the issue here? if you don't like the socket expiration on intel, which is apparently obvious, then get the AMD chip and be done with it. There really isn't anymore else to say. Gaming builds are straight forward. sorry for any aggression. long week, and not enough caffeine in my system.

The Mysterious Guy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011

Can you give me some more information about this zogma 960 T ?

Status
Not open for further replies.