Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Black rubber/plastic found after building PC

Last response: in Components
October 19, 2011 1:34:49 PM

I just finished putting together my new PC. After I closed up the case and moved my PC, I noticed a piece of black plastic or rubber on my table. It was black, about 1 inch long and about the width of a piece of thread. I'm not sure if this came from the rubber feet of my case, as I was sliding it around on the table, or whether it came from some insulation of some wire inside the case.

I was a bit worried that I had accidentally stripped the insulation of some wire inside my PC while assembling the PC. I reopened the PC to check for any obvious wires that were stripped, but didn't see anything.

What do you think I should do? Should I disconnect all the internal wiring and check each one for exposed conductors? The PC boots into Windows 7, and runs IntelBurnTest without any errors. Since my PC boots successfully should I just leave it?

My PC's specs:

Corsair 650D
Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Intel Core i5 2500K, not overclocked
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
Corsair AX850
2 x WD20EARS
October 19, 2011 3:12:53 PM

cant see that you would have stripped insulating wire off after all you werent using anything other than a cross point screwdriver were you?

could it be a little cable tie of the sort that keeps small cables tidy?
m
l
October 19, 2011 3:21:53 PM

Could be a cable tie. But best is upload a pic! :) 
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2011 3:28:43 PM

Might be a bit of trim for protecting wire from edges, may just be an oddment that fell from the packaging,
I don't think its anything vital :p 
Moto
m
l
October 19, 2011 3:30:36 PM

I'll try to see if I can find it and post a pic. It didn't look like a cable tie. It was definitely not as thick as a cable tie (it was more like the width of a black thread) and I was able to squish it up easily in my fingers. So I shouldn't worry about it then?
m
l
October 19, 2011 3:32:07 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
cant see that you would have stripped insulating wire off after all you werent using anything other than a cross point screwdriver were you?

could it be a little cable tie of the sort that keeps small cables tidy?

Right, I didn't use anything other than a screwdriver and I had actually put that away on a different table. It was much thinner than a a cable tie: more like a thread or fragment.
m
l
October 19, 2011 3:38:48 PM

i think you will be fine--but if it worries you then for your own peace of mind take the time to check it

all--those arent exactly cheap components after all

and after that overclock that 2500k--thats what they are for :D  :D 
m
l
October 19, 2011 3:59:34 PM

if it is as thin as i think it is (like a piece of sewing thread?) then the wire that was "stripped" still should have enough insulation that it wont short circuit.

I wouldn't worry about it, but that lack of worry is dependent upon the thickness of the piece of stripped wire assuming that is what it was.
m
l
October 19, 2011 5:14:19 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
i think you will be fine--but if it worries you then for your own peace of mind take the time to check it

Would you say just opening up the case and visually inspecting the wires for any obvious exposed metal is enough? I'm not sure how else I should go about checking this out...

thensappyfing: yes, the plastic/rubber was about the thickness of a sewing thread, and maybe 1 inch long.
m
l
October 19, 2011 5:26:15 PM

was it really squishy? are your rubber feet fairly soft or hard rubber? do your rubber feet have a fringe of left over rubber from the machining process?

It really sounds like rubber left over from the feet of your case. Worst case scenario a wire was stripped a little, but I don't think that there is any risk that you stripped the rubber to a point where the wire would be exposed.

The only way to be entirely certain is to open the case and inspect every black wire, probably wouldn't take to much time and would be worth your ease of mind.
m
l
October 19, 2011 5:42:00 PM

thesnappyfingers said:
was it really squishy? are your rubber feet fairly soft or hard rubber? do your rubber feet have a fringe of left over rubber from the machining process?

It really sounds like rubber left over from the feet of your case. Worst case scenario a wire was stripped a little, but I don't think that there is any risk that you stripped the rubber to a point where the wire would be exposed.

The only way to be entirely certain is to open the case and inspect every black wire, probably wouldn't take to much time and would be worth your ease of mind.

I remember it being pretty squishy. My case has two soft rubber feet in the rear that actually leave black marks on my desk when I drag the case across it. Also when I rub my finger across the rubber feet it leaves some black "dust" on my fingers. Do you think that could be it?

I'll open up the case again and check out the wires and report back.
m
l
October 20, 2011 1:37:12 AM

Ok here is a photo of the little piece of rubber. It is very elasticy. I checked the wires inside my case but didn't see any obvious signs of exposed conductors. Would you say my PC is safe to use?

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
October 20, 2011 1:42:06 AM

If its elastic it isnt insulation, its probable a bit of trimming from one of the feet of your case that fell off when you were putting the system together. Certainly does not look like anything critical.
m
l

Best solution

October 20, 2011 1:45:22 AM

Hmm. I don't think it is part of a wire, and even if it was it looks so thin that I highly doubt that there was enough insulation taken away from a wire to expose the copper.

It looks really thin, like paper thin if not thinner, so I would not worry about it. I don't even thing it is part of a wire. still think the rubber feet are the culprit
October 20, 2011 10:53:56 AM

Yes, thats just a oddment of scurf,
like offcuts from timber when you make a plank
totally superflous and can be binned with no worries mate,
same as the 'dust' from the feet, that will wipe off and stop marking your desk soon
Enjoy your build
Moto
m
l
October 20, 2011 11:49:39 PM

Moto, every time you put your name at the bottom of your post I immediately read "once you start watercooling..."
m
l
October 20, 2011 11:51:29 PM

Hehe, I always sign my posts :p 
Moto
m
l
October 20, 2011 11:54:43 PM

I know, it makes me laugh because I begin to read your motto every post.
m
l
November 3, 2011 12:42:49 PM

Best answer selected by loosley.
m
l
November 3, 2011 12:43:00 PM

Thanks everyone!
m
l
!