Fans running constantly

ChazeXavier

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hey guys, I've got a prebuild Gateway system with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (G0 stepping) @ 2.4 Ghz, and a GeForce 9800 GT running Vista 32-bit.. Earlier today, I went down to Best Buy to replace my aging 17" CRT with a nice new shiny 22" LED.

Came home, shut down my system, unplugged everything, popped the case open, used compressed air to blow it out (since it seemed a good a time as any), closed the case, hooked up the new LED, powered up.

Now, usually, I could hear my casefan, video card fan and CPU fan kick up to 'max' then throttle down to basically SILENT. Ever since rebooting and hooking up the new LED - the fans come on during bootup and never throttle down.

I've installed Speccy (which I've been told gives higher than actual temps) and Speedfan (which is more accurate I've heard) and I am getting VASTLY different results.

What could cause this?

With the case opened up, reboot the system and look at all the fans. Sometimes blowing compressed air on a fan makes it spin faster than it's designed to, thus damaging it. Also, make sure some connectors did not come loose after cleaning up. It could be something as simple as a temp probe that came dislodged, giving false readings.