rehal

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
hello sir, i just wanted to know that whether there is any way to merge two IPs together or not? I've two IPs (static) maybe with two different gateway. 1 is (IP 192.168.120.177 Gateway 192.168.120.128) 2nd is (IP 192.168.180.192 Gateway 192.168.180.128) they both uses the same DNS because i've purchased two connections. i went to network properties, IPv4, Advanced, and added two of them there. now what I want to know is can I use both of them as a one for better speed? hope I made u clear with my question. Thank u.

Back in the old days, they actually made modems that can "stitch" 2 56k connections into one faster one. You needed an ISP that supported that tough.

You can't do this with a broadband setup, for example take your 5 mb/s service and connect it to 2 PCs then get a 10 mb/s service.

Frankly, I'm not sure what you've purchased here from your ISP. Both those are *local* IPs, not public IPs. That may or may not be an issue for you, but a primary motivation for ppl to request/purchase multiple IPs is precisely so that have multiple *public* IPs. Purchasing multiple *local* IPs accomplishes nothing as far as I can see, well…, unless you only have two devices and don’t want to manage your own router.

The impression I’m getting is that you believe (erroneously) that having these multiple IPs has somehow given you multiple connections (e.g., if your ISP offers 3mbps per connection, then by having two IPs, you believe you now have 6mbps over 2 connections). As hang-the-9 suggests, that’s not how it works. In order to have multiple connections, you’d probably need two dsl/cable modems. Then depending on which modem you used, each would return one of those two IPs. Regardless, you can’t “bond” those modems together and increase your throughput. Even if you had two network cards on your PC and ran ethernet cables from each to separate modems, it still wouldn’t work. When given a choice of multiple gateways to the Internet, the PC will only use one of the network cards and completely ignore the other!

So unless I’m just not getting the picture correctly, it appears to me you’re paying needlessly for that second IP. As I said, even as a second *local* IP, it’s not all that useful. You’d probably be better off (both in terms of functionality and cost) w/ a single IP and using your own router.