Nikon 5700 - battery & charger questions

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 17, 2005 12:42:32 AM

Hi all,

We've had a Nikon 5700 since it was introduced and we're still very
happy with it. We bought a replacement battery online (LI-Ion
1800MaH?) to complement the one it came with. I noticed that after we
started using this new battery, neither of the batteries last very
long. I'm not sure if there's a problem with the charger or what;
perhaps just a coincidence.

Nikon lists the charger as a MH-53. Is there a better charger
available for these type of batteries? I read in an older post that
these LI-Ion batteries have a shelf life, so I guess buying from a
'reputable' dealer will be in my best interest, but I want to make
sure I get a better charger if there's one available.

I've read that TigerDirect (yuck) and BHPhoto are good for replacement
batteries - anyone care to chime in with as-good or better sites for
quality LI-Ion batteries? Specifically, the 5700 uses a nikon part
#EN-EL1.

thx for any input
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:42:33 AM

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:42:32 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Bob <bob@bob.bob>
wrote:

>I've read that TigerDirect (yuck) and BHPhoto are good for replacement
>batteries - anyone care to chime in with as-good or better sites for
>quality LI-Ion batteries? Specifically, the 5700 uses a nikon part
>#EN-EL1.

Can't help with direct experience with the 5700, I have always used the
optional MB-5700 battery grip with mine. I did pick up spare batteries from
Thomas Distributing for my D70. I"ve also bought Maha charger and NiMh AA
from them in the past. A very good vendor.
http://thomas-distributing.com/index.htm
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
March 17, 2005 1:43:46 AM

"Bob" <bob@bob.bob> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> We've had a Nikon 5700 since it was introduced and we're still very
> happy with it. We bought a replacement battery online (LI-Ion
> 1800MaH?) to complement the one it came with. I noticed that after we
> started using this new battery, neither of the batteries last very
> long. I'm not sure if there's a problem with the charger or what;
> perhaps just a coincidence.
(snip)
The 5700 has a high power demand, so a charge does not last long. Changing
the charger will make no difference, the battery can only hold what it can
hold. For cheaper generic batteries try ebay.com, many suppliers there send
worldwide, some great deals and no difference in performance that I can
detect from the originals.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 10:40:22 AM

I use 4 batteries..(5700/4500...Stock charger and DC....Still using original
and additional from...Tiger...No problems. As far as BH..I'd never deal with
them again... They lied about selling me gray market.