New Build Trouble Shooting

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Hey Guys I need help - I have a new build, I just put it together last night, here are the components:

Asus Z68 ProV Mobo
XFX 6950 VGA
650D Corsair Case
Windows 7
Hauppauge 2250 HDTV card
Asus Xonar DX 7.1
2 x 4GB Gskill Ram ddr 1600

So I got everything up and running and even installed Windows 7. Then I was trying to trouble shoot the internet connection (I kept getting error 651 whatever that is) and so I decided to download the XFX drivers off of the included disc.

Now nothing works and the Asus board has an LED warning light saying that there is a problem with the VGA (the 6950). I can't get any signal at all from the computer - what do I do?

Thank you very much for your help I worked all night on this and almost had it running - this is very discouraging.

Solution
Can you let us know the brand and size of the PSU?

Pull everything off the board except for the CPU, cooler, and one memory module. Have just the keyboard, mouse, and vga connected to the I/O shield. The only connections in the front panel area should be power, reset, and case speaker. Disconnect the hard drive and optical. Power on and see if it will POST and enter BIOS. If not, move the memory module and try again. Repeat and if necessary, switch memory sticks.

Good luck, let us know how this goes.
The drivers shouldn't have done that; it should still at least power on.

Did you install the standoffs between the case and motherboard?

Check all of the power connections (motherboard cable will cause the system to boot or not), especially to the GPU.

Reseat the GPU - take it out of the slot and put it back in fully.

There's a list of things to do, but I never have it. Hopefully somebody else will.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Id recommend you start by re-installing all drivers you uninstalled. Doesn't hurt to install the entire driver CD again. After you've done this id go to the manufacturer website and download the latest possible drivers from there too.

Also check Device Manger, check for any conflicts and check if everything is working as it should.

The Z68 ASUS board has on-board video aswell so if your cant get any display, remove the Graphics card and use the onboard to set everything up and then install the graphics card after everything else is up and running.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks, I will double check the power connections and yes I did correctly installed the standoffs per spec. I am fairly sure it is not the PSU or the connections, but I am double checking the connections anyway. I have the 650D Corsair case and the PSU could not be seated better - their system for locking in the PSU is second to none.

I think it may be the motherboard or the VGA.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the help.

I did not uninstall any drivers, I was installing the XFX 6950 drivers from their disc and that appeared to make the VGA system crash. The drivers on the disc appeared to have some conflict with the motherboard.

The problem is that the system will not boot to even the bios and so I cannot do any of the things that you recommend.

I did remove the 6950 and tried on the IGPU to see if that would respond and the the VGA light stayed on. I think that there is some kind of software loop or glitch as the board is going through the check sequence and it is stopping at the VGA and not going forward.

I have removed all other cards but the video card and so they are not an issue. Also I believe that the RAM is good and is not the problem

Thank you again for your help.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Can you let us know the brand and size of the PSU?

Pull everything off the board except for the CPU, cooler, and one memory module. Have just the keyboard, mouse, and vga connected to the I/O shield. The only connections in the front panel area should be power, reset, and case speaker. Disconnect the hard drive and optical. Power on and see if it will POST and enter BIOS. If not, move the memory module and try again. Repeat and if necessary, switch memory sticks.

Good luck, let us know how this goes.

Solution

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks, I'll try it.

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished
sounds like what happened to my p8p67 pro rev3.0 board (that board had a lot of problems there is now a rev3.1 board). i think it is the motherboard. it doesnt make sense that so many lights are on. if what nd hunter says does not work send it back and get another one. or try a different brand like gigabyte since they make great boards too

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

It is just the VGA light that stays on.

I have the Corsair 850 HX PSU and so I do not think that the PSU is the problem. I purposely spec'd the PSU to run a 50% capacity (its most efficient range).

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

oh i thought u said before that there was the vga ram and cpu light on. do you have another system running that can test the gpu? if so try it and see if it is just the gpu

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
OK Guys, I'm done. I disconnected everything like nd-hunter recommended and the board will still not post. No signal is being sent to the monitor. I am going to send the board back to Newegg unless anyone has any other suggestions.

It is disappointing because Asus boards are supposed to be the best.

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

i felt the same way.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I could not get the board to post anything to the monitor either through the discrete GPU or the IGPU on the mobo. Even when it is disconnected from everything else. That damn VGA LED stays lit though. I think I would send this back just to get rid of that VGA LED light ha, ha. Hopefully with the replacement board it will stay off.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to my request.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Just lucky I guess, ha ha.

I am RMA to Newegg today. It is frustrating because it was working until I tried to load the XFX 6950 drivers. I am really suspicious of that disc now. Maybe I will just download them from on-line directly.

If I have any problems at all with the new mobo, that card is going straight back to Newegg. It is the only other thing that could have caused the problem. But even when it was removed and I used the on-board IGPU, the mobo would not post.

It was buggy but Windows 7 had downloaded and then boom after the xfx 6950 reboot - nothing. And nothing I could do would even get a signal to the monitor.

I know everything was plugged in right and working because it worked up until that point. The RAM, PSU, HDDs, optical drives and USB ports and HDMI ports all were operating and were good. Then after the driver download it would not post. Frustrating to say the least because I was almost there. Like seeing the finish line and then getting hit by a car ha, ha.

Well, time to go to UPS and then have a beer - damn it. At least Newegg paid for the shipping ha, ha.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Im supprised the graphics card didnt work at all, especially as the motherboard supports "Lucid Virtu" so its suposidly smart enough to use whichever will give the best performance anyway. Hope you have more luck when a new one gets sent out.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

I agree - you would think that at least the IGPU would post but I don't think it is a graphics card issue. I think is was some kind of conflict between the motherboard program and the graphics card update driver disc program, but I cannot prove that. When I put in the XFX 6950 drivers the whole computer stopped functioning.