New PSU
Antec High Current Gamer 900W Power Supply HCG-900

new case to keep everything nice and cool
CoolerMaster CM Storm Scout

cpu cooler to prolong the life of my Q6600
CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooler

and a new screen so im not playing at 1600x1200 LOL
AOC 2436VWH 23.6in Widescreen LCD Monitor

keep in mind this is my second computer so I don't want to spend thousands, any suggestions are welcome different brands cheaper options better anything really, thanks in advance for your help.

kjameel1

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Its a very good upgrade and also this card is a beast.U will be able to play any games on high res and also full AA.As Why_Me has said these v8 are junk, better take something better. Best of luck 4 ur new upgrade.....

A graphics card upgrade is the usual recommendation for better gaming FPS. But, you may not be able to take advantage of a 6970 with your current cpu.
To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

1) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

2) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

If you are using the stock intel cooler, then an aftermarket cooler is a good idea. It need not be expensive to be effective.
the XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 is $30 and will fit both 775 and 1155 sockets,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082

Plan on keeping your old monitor attached if you have the desk space. Put static stuff like e-mail or performance monitors on it. Gaming will not be impacted.

You can run any single card with a 650w or 700w psu. But the Antec you mentioned is a very good one and a good value, even if it is more power than you need right now.
Still, you can save some $ to be used elsewhere with a psu at half the cost.

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I understand that "for now" I may be bottlenecking the cpu i have and that the PSU is to big but I am trying to plan ahead, for future upgrades, I think it would be easier to get a bigger psu now than buy a smaller one now and a bigger one later.
I have also decided to pull my ASUS Radeon 6970 DirectCU II 2GB out of my other system and use it instead of running crossfire so when the time comes and I upgrade the mobo, ram and cpu I can then get the newest graphics cards at the time.

For the next upgrade I am thinking of saving for;
2 new graphics cards maybe 8GB how nice with that be 2 4GB cards cant be far away
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard B3
Intel Core i7 2600K
with some G.Skill ram

Thanks for the advice with the cooler I will be looking into that today. I am on this site so much and everyone posts newegg links I wish they delivered to Australia lol

Does anyone know anything about the ram i have should it be ok for another 6 months or so

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I have been looking around at coolers for overclocking my Q6600 and the silver arrow seems to be the cooler of choice by a LOT of people anyone got one or have had experience with these coolers?
Hopefully with the silver arrow and the CoolerMaster CM Storm Scout case with the 2 extra fans I should be able to keep everything in my pc nice and cool, I am only so stuck on cooling because I live in the middle of Australia and it is HOT, anyone else have advice on cpu coolers or even cooler cases?

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

I was thinking of price point with that cooler. The Silver Arrow and Noctua ND-14 are about as good as it gets. You can't go wrong with either cooler imo. Also there's optional add on case fans for that case..in the link and on megabuy.