Faster PC133 Memory worth the extra cost?

G

Is the more expensive CAS2 memory worth the money?

Can the "normal" PC133 dimms be overclocked as well?

What is the performance gain of CAS2 compared to CAS3 and wouldn´t overclocking a dimm be more effective that setting it to CAS2?

G

Good question,

Not sure my self, but my rule of thumb is to look at the speed in nanoseconds, the lower the number the better.
Hopefully someone can give a better answer.

Take care

G

Yes,the cas2 is definitly worth the extra.
If you buy quality cas2 PC133 then you should be able to o/c it but there is no definite yes or no.
As for the performance gain I don't really know if it would make a real amount of differance.

G

Yup, cas2 RAM has lower latency's (the CPU needs les time to acces the memory)thus is faster. Some claim it can be better overklokked than Cas3 ram but i'm not sure abbout that. Overklokking depends on the RAM's speed in ns.
8 ns 100 mhz SDRAM goes to max 125
7 ns 133 mhz SDRAM goes to max 144
6 ns 150 mhz SDRAM goes to max 160
it depends from brand to brand how high you can actualy clock it, normaly you should be able to get the max values here.

If you do not now how fast you're ram is, check the serial number on the chips
it's mostly something like W986564131BH-8H or KML35-7
in both cases the latest number (here the 8 & 7) represents the rams speed in ns

Godim

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Be aware that most memory( if not all) rated at CAS2 is rated cas2 at 100 mhz fsb. When running at 133 it needs to run at cas3. this applies to all but the very newest of memory.

Sometimes you have to read the fine print