Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel i5-2500K vs Phenom II x4 965

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 19, 2011 3:50:08 PM

Hi, I'm having a little problem. I really like the Intel i5-2500K, but the Phenom is good too. Thing is, the i5 puts me over my budget.
How much of a performance difference would there be between aan overclocked Phenom II 965 to 4 GHz vs an i5? With a 6950? If I were to play Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Black Ops, Crysis, etc., how much FPS difference will there be? Thanks for any help.

More about : intel 2500k phenom 965

October 19, 2011 4:23:29 PM

I'm not a benchmark guru, but it's probably not much difference, if any, in the real world. I CAN tell you what I have, and I would expect better results.

Phenom II 945 - upp'd slightly to 3.3GHz
AMD 6870, recently made Crossfire.

In the BF3 Beta, I was just running one 6870. I was running 1080p, with most of the settings turned on, except AA, and maybe 2 or 4XAF. I was getting about 35-45 fps at the time. I would expect it to run a little better with Retail once they optimize the textures and what-not.

In BF:BC2, I have it maxed out, and was getting 40-50fps on a singe 6870, and now I'm getting 75-85 fps easy with Crossfire.

I would think either of those setups would be somewhere in between.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 19, 2011 5:31:30 PM

In games that are CPU intensive the i5 will be worlds better then the P2. In games that are more GPU intensive it's much closer. Keep in mind the i5 has loads of overclocking potential.

That being said; I'm pretty sure my next rig will be Intel. My last Intel CPU was a 486 66MHz if that tells you anything ;) 

I'd say if you can stretch your budget just a bit then go with the i5-2500K and a mobo ready for Ivy Bridge.
m
0
l
October 19, 2011 6:25:32 PM

Well if u have a tight budget u should consider an I3, it's strong, has a small power consumption, small temperature, good performance compared to Phenom II x4 965, and it's almost 40% cheaper than I5(at least it is in my country :D ).
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 6:30:59 PM

You should make an effort and grab the 2500k believe me it's worth the money
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 8:03:35 PM

The i5 is indeed more powerful but the Phenom II is adequate for gaming.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 8:09:10 PM

What's the price difference of the whole rig and what you want to do primarily?

If the difference for the cheaper PhII buys you a "next step" video card and you want to primarily game in it, I'd say go for the PhII. If the difference would only get you a better after market cooling solution at most, get the i5 to OC it.

All in all, for gaming, video cards are more important than CPU muscle power (when talking mid-upper range, off course).

Cheers!
m
0
l
October 19, 2011 8:33:46 PM

My budget is around 750. The i5-2500k brings me up to 850.

And yes, it's for a next-level video card. If I wanted to go down to a 6870 from an unlocked 6950 with the same clocks, speed, and shaders as a 6970, I could get a i5-2500k. But with the 6950, I can only get a Phenom.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2011 9:05:43 PM

If you ask me, I'd say go for the phenom. You won't notice an earth shattering difference to make it cost you the 6950 and 100USD more, lol.

Cheers!
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 5:36:23 AM

I'd go for a 2500k. In the future if you want you can upgrade your vcard and the 2500k won't bottleneck you as much as the phenom.
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 6:03:34 AM

Dropshock said:
Hi, I'm having a little problem. I really like the Intel i5-2500K, but the Phenom is good too. Thing is, the i5 puts me over my budget.
How much of a performance difference would there be between aan overclocked Phenom II 965 to 4 GHz vs an i5? With a 6950? If I were to play Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Black Ops, Crysis, etc., how much FPS difference will there be? Thanks for any help.



for performance and reliability go with I5-2500k, you have complete budget limit go with phenom but remember phenom 2 is very poor compare to I5 in all apps in gaming and windows apps. :ange: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2011 6:17:04 AM

I was lucky. I bought a i5-2500k at Frys for $180 and a week later Frys had it on sale for $150 and they refunded me $30. So keep an eye out there can be bargains.
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 6:39:15 AM

Goodeggray said:
I was lucky. I bought a i5-2500k at Frys for $180 and a week later Frys had it on sale for $150 and they refunded me $30. So keep an eye out there can be bargains.



yep you are very lucky,in my town they don't refund at least a penny :( 
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 8:54:12 AM

Lol all shops have to refund the difference if they increase the price in the next few weeks after u bought sumthing. If they don't have this policy then it must be some creepy neighborhood shop, and it's not recommended to buy from places like that.

Dropshock, u should go and get that I5 :D , forget about AMD if u want performance.
m
0
l
October 20, 2011 9:10:31 AM

if the 2500k is even a consideration, take it. i couldnt be more pleased with mine

5ghz was easy, i could get more
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 4:34:44 PM

To all the first posters on this thread:
I want to livestream and record games such as bf3 , gw2 and diablo 3 etc.

So, should i go with the 2500k (its the best cpu for gaming) or with the fx8120 (its 8 cores which is good when it comes to multitasking during gaming)

Also, the fx8120 is cheaper
m
0
l
April 14, 2012 5:59:12 PM

I dont know if there will be a price drop but you might wana wait for IB release to see if SB comes out a little lower
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2012 8:35:49 PM

comparing a $130 chips to a $220 chip is not a good consideration. The i5 is over 3 years newer tech and the best price/performance sandy out with the rather underwhelming offerings in the i7 department.

The 965 BE is a good chip very capable across the board, if you are on a budget, it is certainly a good consideration for its price point.
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 5:32:20 PM

I would have to say go with the 965 and go with the higher graphics card. Graphics cards influence performance much more, except in the cases of games on the Intel Havock physics engine, such as Starcraft 2, Skyrim or Just Cause
m
0
l
April 24, 2012 4:22:00 PM

Dropshock said:
Hi, I'm having a little problem. I really like the Intel i5-2500K, but the Phenom is good too. Thing is, the i5 puts me over my budget.
How much of a performance difference would there be between aan overclocked Phenom II 965 to 4 GHz vs an i5? With a 6950? If I were to play Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Black Ops, Crysis, etc., how much FPS difference will there be? Thanks for any help.



Not sure why these 2 processors are even being compared???? A night and day comparison honestly. The Phenom 965 barely Oc's to 4ghz without overheating, the 2500k easily runs 5ghz for 24-7 use and stays around 52-58C(40 degrees under the max)
Puzzles me why people would even create this thread...........

Maybe this chart will help -http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-c...

Also, I notice a lot of people saying that processor strength isn't as important as the graphic card you choose.......completely wrong. Nowadays your CPU just as important as the graphic card you choose.
m
0
l
May 1, 2012 7:26:19 AM

i5 2500k vs Phenom II 965 = Lionel Messi vs Fernando Torres (Even though he scored a hattrick)
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
May 1, 2012 7:51:25 AM

My opinion is that if an i5 puts you too far over your budget, you're better off with a Phenom II than an i3. Both of them perform about the same in gaming, but the Phenom II is going to excel is productivity type applications, ergo a better balanced PC.

Also, I would suggest when buying a Phenom II 965 to turn the multiplier to 18.5x, this effectively will give you the stock settings of the more expensive 980 model (3.7GHZ) at a lower cost, and you should not require an aftermarket heatsink to do so.

@Sean76
Quote:

Also, I notice a lot of people saying that processor strength isn't as important as the graphic card you choose.......completely wrong. Nowadays your CPU just as important as the graphic card you choose.


That depends on what you're doing on your computer. As far as games, not all games are CPU intensive, some are, some aren't. Multiplayer games in particularly are generally more CPU intensive than a single player game.

As far as the difference being night and day, sure the 2500k has astronomical overclocking potential, but I can say that since I own a system with an i5-2400 w/GTX 460 as well as the build in my sig, both of them can do the same things (gaming, browsing, productivity) with no noticeable difference.
m
0
l
May 1, 2012 1:58:07 PM

nekulturny said:
My opinion is that if an i5 puts you too far over your budget, you're better off with a Phenom II than an i3. Both of them perform about the same in gaming, but the Phenom II is going to excel is productivity type applications, ergo a better balanced PC.

Also, I would suggest when buying a Phenom II 965 to turn the multiplier to 18.5x, this effectively will give you the stock settings of the more expensive 980 model (3.7GHZ) at a lower cost, and you should not require an aftermarket heatsink to do so.

@Sean76
Quote:

Also, I notice a lot of people saying that processor strength isn't as important as the graphic card you choose.......completely wrong. Nowadays your CPU just as important as the graphic card you choose.


That depends on what you're doing on your computer. As far as games, not all games are CPU intensive, some are, some aren't. Multiplayer games in particularly are generally more CPU intensive than a single player game.

As far as the difference being night and day, sure the 2500k has astronomical overclocking potential, but I can say that since I own a system with an i5-2400 w/GTX 460 as well as the build in my sig, both of them can do the same things (gaming, browsing, productivity) with no noticeable difference.


LOL@2400........your in the wrong forum post little boy. Why wouldn't you have spent the extra $20 for the 2500k??? The 2500k@5ghz is easily twice as fast as the 2400, and makes a HUGE difference in all gaming scenarios.......
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:04:50 PM

What is your deal? Theres no reason for that kind of attitude. If you're going to be disrespectful, then I hope you have no expectation of an intelligent discussion.

I am a Dean's List 1st year IT student, who are you?
m
0
l
May 1, 2012 2:10:37 PM

nekulturny said:
What is your deal? Theres no reason for that kind of attitude. If you're going to be disrespectful, then I hope you have no expectation of an intelligent discussion.

I am a Dean's List 1st year IT student, who are you?


LOLOLOLOLOL Dean's list.........the intelligent conversation ended when you compared a i5 2400 to a 2500k OP.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:10:39 PM

P2 is much budget oriented more than performance. Amd mobo is more cheaper than equal intel mobo....

Why u considering 100$ over budget? do u have the budget? If u have it, then better go to Blue one it considered the best one this moment. If u don't go with green one as long don't place the expectation skyhigh it will serve u well, (the value of time is priceless, there will always better one in the future. u won't get back the time u waste waiting)

Edit: Read it wrong, better go with green if it will cost u to drop the unlocked 6950
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:12:09 PM

Sean76 said:
LOLOLOLOLOL Dean's list.........the intelligent conversation ended when you compared a i5 2400 to a 2500k OP.

*sigh* if thats your idea of contributing to this forum, expect a banhammer before your 20th post. Do have a nice day. :) 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:16:11 PM

The i5 offers very little performance gains over the phenom. You'd be hard pressed to notice performance difference with a 6950 as the gpu during gaming. OCing the i5 doesn't really do much as you will almost always be gpu limited even at stock.

The 965 at above 3.6 ghz has no problem with a 6950 and you would be perfectly fine to have it and stay within your budget.

All the people pushing you to buy the i5 don't seem to get the budget and the performance difference. The difference in gaming would be maybe 1-2 fps in all the games you listed as they are all GPU bound games. The phenom is more than capible pushing 60fps in all of them with enough gpu power.

You really should consider as much GPU as possible in a budget gaming setup and the i5 2500k might be the thing to cut down if you are really tight on your budget.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:23:41 PM

That crawling bug avatar drove me nuts the first time I saw it. :lol: 

And to interested parties, Its was a 30 dollar price difference between the 2400 and 2500k, its my significant other's system that he had a local shop build for him, he had a strict budget and the 2500k did not fall into it, most of the money was spent on the GTX 460 card which at the time was over 200 dollars. Which is as esrever pointed out where you need to go heavy in a budget gamer, and those who know what they're talking about understand.

The mention of the 2 systems was merely meant to provide perspective from one who has both systems.
m
0
l
May 1, 2012 2:25:51 PM

esrever said:
The i5 offers very little performance gains over the phenom. You'd be hard pressed to notice performance difference with a 6950 as the gpu during gaming. OCing the i5 doesn't really do much as you will almost always be gpu limited even at stock.

The 965 at above 3.6 ghz has no problem with a 6950 and you would be perfectly fine to have it and stay within your budget.

All the people pushing you to buy the i5 don't seem to get the budget and the performance difference. The difference in gaming would be maybe 1-2 fps in all the games you listed as they are all GPU bound games. The phenom is more than capible pushing 60fps in all of them with enough gpu power.

You really should consider as much GPU as possible in a budget gaming setup and the i5 2500k might be the thing to cut down if you are really tight on your budget.



really??? I have benchmarks that state otherwise OP.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-c...

Notice the 2500k doubling the fps of a 975 Phenom and that's at stock speeds.

Now let's compare the 965 and the 2500k overclocked.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/overclocked_cpus.html

Notice the Phenom 965=4,500 points, where as the 2500k almost doubles the performance of a 965 in the 8,500 point range.
So what was your argument again?

I feel bad for AMD owners, their second to Intel in every cpu category, and second to Nvidia in every gpu category.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:28:25 PM

You have benchmarks but you have no understanding of them, your computer can send over 1000 FPS to the monitor, its limited to displaying 60FPS. And any game that can sustain anything over 40FPS is completely fluid and playable. Maybe you have lots of money to buy any CPU you want, if you do.. Good for you, not everyone has 220 bucks to shell out for a processor.

60hz monitor=60FPS, anything above that and the difference is entirely "on paper".
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:31:18 PM

Sean76 said:
really??? I have benchmarks that state otherwise OP.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-c...

Notice the 2500k doubling the fps of a 975 Phenom and that's at stock speeds.

Now let's compare the 965 and the 2500k overclocked.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/overclocked_cpus.html

Notice the Phenom 965=4,500 points, where as the 2500k almost doubles the performance of a 965 in the 8,500 point range.
So what was your argument again?

and what gpu are they using??? Please understand what you read before you post. Also keep the synthetic benchmarks out of things, they are as pointless as random numbers generators for gauging real performance in game.
m
0
l
May 1, 2012 2:36:12 PM

2520416,33,1071176 said:
and what gpu are they using??? Please understand what you read before you post. Also keep the synthetic benchmarks out of things, they are as pointless as random numbers generators for gauging real performance in game.[/quotemsg


LOL we're not comparing gpu's OP. The Andtech is not a synthetic benchmark.......

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=288

Now what??
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:37:40 PM

Now what? I think Tomshare should do a more thorough age verification before allowing people to post on the forum.... :pfff: 

By the way.. thats not "double". Overall rank (based on your claim) 205 vs 265, what percent difference is that? Math isn't my strong point, but I know its not 50 percent. :whistle: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:38:22 PM

@sean76 now you missed the point and make yourself look stupider.
m
0
l
May 1, 2012 2:39:13 PM

nekulturny said:
Now what? I think Tomshare should do a more thorough age verification before allowing people to post on the forum.... :pfff: 


Awwwww Op is mad that he's been proven wrong??? Maybe next time do your research first?
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:40:46 PM

OP stands for "Original Poster"... esrever is not the original poster of this thread, nor am I. *walks away giggling*
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:42:36 PM

I Think just partial benchmark is not valid, The pc marathon wih 750$ budget The i5-2500k + 6870 pc , Vs 965 + 6970 pc is the one we looking for.

(even it not full cover the addon benefit u get from the mobo)........

m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:46:38 PM

rdc85,

Unfortuately the problem we run into on here is the issue between Intel and AMD gets heated, often its caused by a handful of young people, or immature adults who understand very little about computer performance, look at a chart and automatically assume because one is better, that the other is completely useless.


Of course the 2500k is a better CPU, at nearly double the price of a 965 it damn sure better be. The question at hand that needs to be looked at per the OP is, "will the cheaper CPU be enough to meet my needs?", in respect to the OP's stated needs the answer is yes.
m
0
l
May 1, 2012 2:48:53 PM

Lulz@ this guy^^^
A. 965 unavailable no longer stocked.
B. 965 was 139.00 i5 2500k was 179.00(at least when I bought mine it was)
Your logic proven in-adequate again. For double the fps I'd spend the extra $30
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:55:01 PM

A. In stock and guaranteed to be shipped in 3 days anywhere in the Continental US: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

B: $220 dollars, same guaranteed shipping time applies:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Priced at $170, however in my experience MicroCenter adds 10 dollars shipping and 6 percent sales tax to my order where Newegg does not effectively making the total $190. '

In America, you have the freedom to purchase whatever you want. Good luck with it. Do read up on monitor frame rate limitations.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:57:13 PM

also would be nice if he read up on manners and how to discuss things like a civilized person.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
May 1, 2012 2:59:19 PM

Yeah... but I'm not here to teach manners, if someone wants to make themselves look immature, I'm not interested in taking up the job their parents clearly did miserably at. Thats what we have Proximon for. :D 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2012 3:03:16 PM

Some people will always like that, without them it will be much borring....

Back to topic:
-I5 is very good, 965 is very capable chip so nothing wrong with them especialy when u O.C.
-is droping 6950 unlocked for 6870 in favor of i5? NO....
-Is adding 100$ worth it to get both? hell YES if u got money to burn...
-Is i have to work extra hour or wait till next paycheck? NO..... (how much u value your time?) It better to upgrade small each year vs go to the most advance each couple of year.

Again This is my opinion.

Edit: I found this intresting

"i5 2500k vs Phenom II 965 = Lionel Messi vs Fernando Torres (Even though he scored a hattrick)"
Fernando is the one who seal the barca fate with his goal...... (Yup Chelsea beat barca, i'm still cannot belive it)
It good example like football/soccer, it is the team (whole system) that make the different, not the individual (one component) ..... just 2 cent
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2012 10:22:38 AM

With the FX 8120 now at $165 and if you are sporting a AM3+ motherboard then the FX 8120 is the way to go. If a $220 chip is over your budget then there is no point in discussing it when a i3 or Phenom II with a good enough graphics will play BF3 easily.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2012 2:55:38 PM

Anyone that said there's little improvement with the 2500K over the PII... is just crazy. You can hit 4.5ghz with voltage set to "auto" with the 2500K and have to jump through numerous hoops with gobs of voltage just to get the PII close to 4ghz.




m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
May 2, 2012 3:33:59 PM

Thank you for that.. The link was sufficient. The long ass picture wasnt.

I won't speak for anyone else, but the point I was trying to make, (as that unnecessary picture confirms) is that despite being almost half as much in price, for gaming the P II is sufficient for smooth gameplay at max settings when paired with an appropriate video card.

And I will say that you are absolutely WRONG that it requires any difficult effort to get a Phenom II x4 to 4.0GHZ. If you actually owned one, perhaps you would know that. I'm running stock voltage, and all I did was turn up the clock frequency to get 4.0GHZ. It took all of 10 seconds. Seriously, your profile says you're 34 years old, why haven't you learned by now to not make such incorrect claims that cant be substantiated?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2316227
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2012 3:41:30 PM

nekulturny said:
Thank you for that.. The link was sufficient. The long ass picture wasnt.

I won't speak for anyone else, but the point I was trying to make, (as that unnecessary picture confirms) is that despite being almost half as much in price, for gaming the P II is sufficient for smooth gameplay at max settings when paired with an appropriate video card.

And I will say that you are absolutely WRONG that it requires any difficult effort to get a Phenom II x4 to 4.0GHZ. If you actually owned one, perhaps you would know that. I'm running stock voltage, and all I did was turn up the clock frequency to get 4.0GHZ. It took all of 10 seconds. Seriously, your profile says you're 34 years old, why haven't you learned by now to not make such incorrect claims that cant be substantiated?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2316227


When you go from Intels 1 click overclocking to AMD, anything looks complex. Intel noobs. And Ditto, the Phenom II's are very much still gaming grunts, or would they like to see me play BF3 on youtube to clarify this.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
May 2, 2012 3:42:15 PM

Apparently LOL.

Edit: I don't think putting it on youtube would do any good. Too many people talking out of their behinds who dont actually own these processors and yet they "know" all about it.
m
0
l
!