New Build Help and Opinions

imlowkey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hi, relatively new to Tom's hardware, i want your opinions on this setup I'm planning:

CPU: Intel i7 2600K
Mobo: Asus P8Z68 Vpro
GPU: EVGA GTX 560Ti
PSU: Corsair TX 850W
Cooler: Coolermaster V6GT
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8G Dual Channel Kit, Low Profile
HDD: 1.0 TB Western Digital Black
Optical Drive: Just some normal Samsung DVD Writer
Casing: CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced

Use will be for gaming, some Photoshop work, some video editing and coding. E-peen factor also in consideration :D. Plans to overclock, and would maybe do an SLI once funds come in in a few months.

Now my concerns, please note I'm from the Philippines so some parts are not readily available:
1. Is the Corsair TX 850 good enough? I know the HX series is better, but I can't seem to find those here in our area.

2. In the Asus P8Z68 Vpro, would there be enough space to fit the RAM sticks properly with that huge CoolerMaster V6GT? This is one of the reasons I am opting for the Vengeance Low Profile.

3. My casing options at mid-tower are fairly limited in what we have here, and this is what i saw as the best. My other options that seem to be ok are the Antec 600 and Antec DF-10. Is this case good enough? Would the space be enough if i decide to SLI?

ADDITIONAL EDIT:

- Since this will be used primarily as a gaming rig, would it be better if I just get an i5 2500K and use the $100 saved to buy a better video card like a 570? Would the PSU be enough for a 2x 570 SLI for that matter?

Thanks in advance for the help!

1. Actually for 560 Ti SLI, even the 750TX would suffice,...

2. Just see if you will be using all the additional features the PRO offers compared to the non-PRO as even the non-PRO has good overclocking capabilities and also does x8x8 SLI. So maybe with the money saved, you can get the GTX 570,...

3. The CM 690 is one of the best Mid-Towers in that price range and will have no issues fitting 2 cards in SLI,...

I might stick with the 850TX if you can afford it. You'll need more power once you start OCing the CPU and GPUs, and more headroom means better efficiencies. You will need the 850 for 2x570s.

Also, check to see if you can get the Samsung F3 1TB for less than the WD Black. Its faster and more reliable (arguable) than the WD hard drives, and here in the US its about $25-30 less.

The CM 690 is still regarded as one of the most popular cases, and it looks pretty good too.

I'm going to guess that Slot 1 (closest to the CPU) will be blocked by one of the fans. My Hyper 212+ blocked mine with its fan, and it's a relatively thin cooler.

However, you can run the sticks in the second channel (slots 2 and 4) and it will run the same as 1 and 3 - I did that until I got my second 2x4GB kit.