1st time ordering computer parts

Glancaster

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Hello, I've built myself a set and I'd like to see if it's parts are compatible with eachother.
Any tips what I should do?

Asus (geforce) GTX 560 Ti
Asus M4A77TD 7720 AM3 ATX
4GB Kingston Value RAM DDR3 x2
AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 980 4x 3.70ghZ
520w Antec High Current Gamer ATX2.3
Centurion 5 II ATX-case

^
CPU - X4 955

Mobo - Get a 880G / 870 chipset board with USB3.0

RAM - You can get a single 4GB stick now and can later on add 1 more 4GB stick,... RAM prices are pretty low these days,...

CASE - See if you can get the Cooler Master Elite 430, has better airflow or NZXT Gamma.

Glancaster

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Thank you for your quick reply.

Can you tell me why the X4 955 and not X4 980?

I saw a "dual-kit" on a merchant's website, with 2 rams in the picture, for like 26 euros, and "single" would've cost me 24euros, so basically I'm saving in this one. Unless "dual-kit" has some different meaning.

The case, well, I already ordered that part. But if it's compatible, I'm fine with it.

About the mobo, I checked that USB2 devices aren't compatible for USB3 unless you have a converter, which I don't. Is this true?
Also, what's mainly the difference between the mobo I picked and the one you're suggesting?

Thanks.

^ The main difference between the 955 and 980 is the clock speed, which you can overclock it to reach that speeds, with a cheap cooler like the CM Hyper 212+ will allow for overclocks upto 4GHz...

USB3 - No USB3.0/ USB 2.0 is backwards compatible,...

Mobo - A better newer chipset, which might allow for future CPUs to be installed, as well as better options,...

Glancaster

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Seems reasonable.

However though, what if I'd change both and take
Intel Core i5 2500K and Asrock Z68 PRO3-M S1155 motherboard?

^ That would be a major upgrade, but again will be worth it only if you have plans to run atleast 2 graphic cards,... If no overclocking and a single card, then even the basic version of the i5 would do,...

Glancaster

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
I'm planning on overclocking, but not probably instantly after I buy the parts.
No plans for two graphic cards, I've heard it's not really worth it.
It's around a 50€ upgrade, if you call it major in the specs, I think it's totally worth it. Thanks for your help, I think I'll stick to 2500K and Asrock.

That is a major upgrade of cpu capability. Do it if your budget allows.

4gb of ram is good if you will mostly be doing one thing at a time, like gaming. But if you tend to have lots of things open at the same time, 8gb is better.
Fortunately, ram is cheap these days. The current Intel nehalem and sandy bridge cpu's have an excellent integrated ram controller. It is able to keep the cpu fed with data from any speed ram. The difference in real application performance or FPS between the fastest and slowest ram is on the order of 1-3%.
Synthetic benchmark differences will be impressive, but are largely irrelevant in the real world.
Fancy heat spreaders are mostly marketing too.
Only if you are seeking record level overclocks should you consider faster ram or better latencies.
I would suggest the cheapest 8gb kit of 2 x 4gb up front.
Here is study on that:
http://blog.corsair.com/?p=65

The dual kit means that you get two sticks of ram. That is needed for dual channel ram operation. It is a minor performance item worth 1-3% as a guess.

Your case has usb2.0 in front. It is really only backup devices that can benefit from usb3.0 speeds .If you want to use usb3 speeds just plug the device into the rear panel port of the mobo. Otherwise the functionality is ok, any combination you use.

Your psu is ok, it is good for up to a GTX570.

With a 2500K, you are set for quite a while on the cpu front. I doubt that you will want an upgrade whenever the 22nm ivy bridge cpu's launch. The option will be there, since ivy bridge will be compatible with the P67 or Z68 chipsets.

If you should ever want more, it will be in the graphics area. The GTX560ti is a very good card at 1080P.

As a tip, download and read the motherboard and case manuals now. Many questions will be answered.