XFX 6950 2G w/dual BIOS availability

I'm amazed how quickly the XFX 6950 2G w/dual BIOS has disappeared from all retailers. Seven EBay sellers are confused with the new 2g unit as they are picturing the dual BIOS unit but describing the new replacement. If you do find one they are priced outrageous.

Tigerdirect had one marked "in store only" yesterday but now that disappeared. I have one these and am searching for a 2nd to CF since I recently obtained a 32" LED-LCD Samsung TV. I need it to "future proof" my rig for a few years as my spending on computer hardware is about to be eliminated for a while to raise my 2 new kids.

Anyone have one "reasonably priced" or able to find links to sites that have the correct model at a good price? I've done most of my searching from my iPhone from work so I may not be gettingthe best search results.

Any assistance is appreciated! =D

sofyanator

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
were both kind of screwed, u see amd isnt to happy about people getting free 6970 upgrades so they took the dual bios model off the market, u might get lucky on ebay, craigslist, or a local store. sorry dude it realy sucks as ive been looking fruitlessly as well

Unfortunately I believe your right. I was thinking this would happen as soon as I found out you could flash this BIOS. I didn't have a spare 330.00 at the time so I waited and now here I am left wanting.

The thing is, all retailers and even people on ebay are listing the new rev cards with the old rev pictures making it not easy to spot. Apparently the new one is the (HD-695A-CNFC) in which is still a good card but I don't think it sports the dual BIOS switch like mine.

Thanks for the link but I think that one is the new revision card as well. We may not see these cards again until people start upgrading and placing on ebay.

This is unfortunate... :cry:

As far as recommending the 560ti or the 6950, I have to say these are the differences I'm aware of and you find out what suits your needs best.

the 560ti is shorter (apprx 9inches), quieter and about 6 degrees cooler and slightly slower. The 560ti is about 37db and the 6950 is 42db @ idle, not a huge difference but its a difference if not being able to hear the 560ti to barely hearing the 6950.

I don't know about the 560ti as far is 100% fan capacity but I do know the 6950 @ 100% sounds like a pontoon plane about to take off. I never need 100% as of yet so its not a problem and I'm not as sensitive about it as most people anyway.

Also, if your favorite games have the ATI or Nvidia logo at the intro, you may want to consider going in that direction as the game will play better on the hardware it was designed to be played on.

Hopefully that will help you make the right choice. =D

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
My MSI twin frozr III seems to have a bios switch (it has a switch dunno if it actually is a bios switch since I haven't bothered messing around with it.). You could search for some reviews to see if it has.

michaeld_83

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009

Thanks for the tip about noise. Are you sure that is not the one as there is a review from the 2nd of May in the reviews section from someone saying they did? How is overclockers rep? If they say it is revision one and it isn't can't you send it right back?

Actually I'd like to hear someone elses opinion about the version 1.1 & 1.2 issue. I'm only basing that statement on the fact my dual BIOS card is a ver 1.1 but I don't know for a fact ver 1.2 is the newest model that is the black unit on the market now.

I don't know if they will let you send it back based on the version. My guess would be no but you will need to speak to someone from there first to see what they say.

I had an eBay seller that seemed to have a promising unit but after asking a couple of questions I found the card ships from a warehouse in Texas and there was no way of checking to see what version it is before ordering. I'm learning that most sellers simply don't know...

I read some reviews off of newegg, and it appears that the switch is a fan switch of some sort.

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

Ow oke could be. I haven't tried or was planning too so it's not something I was really certain off.
Also if it is a fan switch, I can not see the reason for it.

I agree, unless it's a switch to just turn it on to full power vs having it controlled by software. Even that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Or maybe it's a switch to change between a more aggressive fan profile.

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

I'll test it see what will happen, best way to find out right:p.

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
MSI Exclusive P/S Switch Function
- Two fan speed profiles - Performance / Silence
- Performance Mode provides best cooling demand; Silent Mode balances noise and GPU Temperature

Though I can't say I notice any real difference nor do I even know wich I'm on since the heatsink is in the way:p.

I contacted an eBay seller questioning them about the model # why they advertise only a 1 year warranty on an XFX product & this is what they said:

"Hi, we order these as we get orders. So we don't actually have them to look at. Warranty is what XFX distributor tell us. And remember lifetime means lifetime of the product. If XFX stop making it the warranty ends. That's how it works."

I've never heard this and frankly I don't think they know what they are talking about. Anyone else heard this?...

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
I wouldn't go to ebay for anything that expensive anyway.
Also when your product stops functioning there is a big chance they won't help you anyway and you just have to contact xfx personally.
I think it is something that is out of their hands, they just sell and only help you out when product is doa or not the one you ordered. Atleast that is my experience with ebay.

I expect to have to contact XFX after 30 days or so anyway so that's not an issue. His statement that the warranty ends after the manufacturer stops producing the item is what I had a problem with.

With the availability of these cards so scarce, eBay is becoming one of the few options to buy from...

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Your best bet is to contact xfx and ask them if they still support those older models and what they would do if 1 broke down. When my reference 6950 broke down the store I bought it from could not replace the card because it was no longer manufactured and offered me a instore refund deal, but I could also choose to wait for 6 weeks (time estimate) to get it repaired. I don't know if the card will ever get repaired. However the new models are not that different from the older ones so if a certain part of the card breaks they might be able to swap the broken part, probably depends on the manufacturer.