Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustee2011

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
To mousemonkey: I'm thinkin to get a 512GB 9800 GT from tigerdirect for $50.00 and SLI it with the 1GB 9800 GT already in the rig and that will give 1500 ram of graphics memory without the problem of a direct X 11 supported graphics card conflicting with the winxp direct X 9. please advise, over.

Solution
To clarify, when you SLI cards everything is "downgraded" to the lowest cards settings, this includes memory "amount", and clock speeds. This is becuase for SLI, everything must be equal between the two cards.

To furter explain, when you have cards in SLI, each card must share the same textures at the same time. This is why when you SLI a 1GB card with a 1GB card you effectivly only have 1GB of memory, not 2GB, becuase each card must share the same data that is stored in the memory, in essense it is duplicated. It is becuase of this, that that when you combine a 1GB card with a 512MB card, each card can only hold 512MB of data, and thus, effectlivly you only have 512MB of RAM.

If I got to techinical on you, sorry.

Helltech

Distinguished
To clarify, when you SLI cards everything is "downgraded" to the lowest cards settings, this includes memory "amount", and clock speeds. This is becuase for SLI, everything must be equal between the two cards.

To furter explain, when you have cards in SLI, each card must share the same textures at the same time. This is why when you SLI a 1GB card with a 1GB card you effectivly only have 1GB of memory, not 2GB, becuase each card must share the same data that is stored in the memory, in essense it is duplicated. It is becuase of this, that that when you combine a 1GB card with a 512MB card, each card can only hold 512MB of data, and thus, effectlivly you only have 512MB of RAM.

If I got to techinical on you, sorry.

Solution

Rustee2011

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Nope, U didn't Helltech, what U got is me ready to follow you into Battle Homes!!! Okay, so I'm running winXP with 4GB of ram and an AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core 6000+, this is my lady's rig. She does all her important stuff on her laptop. I built this rig for her bout 4 years ago to game on. She does shooter games, left 4 dead 1 and 2 all the tomb raiders and my old half life, blue shift, all the resident evil games, etc. She doesn't really need top of the line graphics. There is an EVGA 9800 GT akimbo 1GB in her rig right now. What is the best card I could get her that would cooperate with the above specs? Please advise, over.

Gobble45

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

how about another EVGA 9800 GT ?
and then you can SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS