Sign in with
Your question

Intel core versus intel pentium

Last response: in CPUs
October 19, 2011 9:52:25 PM

Hello,
what are the differences between Intel core and Intel Pentium processors?
a c 146 à CPUs
October 19, 2011 10:04:10 PM

Pretty much the Core 2 Duo will have better performance then something like the Pentium 4 Prescott series of Cpu's. A Core 2 solo has much better performance than a Pentium 4, so whether you go single or dual core, I highly recommend the Core 2 over any other chip. The benefit of a second core will only be noticeable if you do a lot of multi-tasking, or if you use applications that are multi-threaded (designed to use multiple cores simultaneously). If you use Photo Shop, do a lot of video/audio encoding or plan to play modern games on your new laptop, the dual-core version is a good investment.
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 à CPUs
October 19, 2011 10:24:25 PM

Which pentium? There are almost a dozen different architectures that the pentium name has been used with, from the original Pentium to the newer Pentiums that are low end Sandy Bridge processors, there is a massive difference in performance between those two.

Which two processors are you looking at, that will help us give you an accurate answer.
m
l
October 19, 2011 11:04:54 PM

hunter315 said:
Which pentium? There are almost a dozen different architectures that the pentium name has been used with, from the original Pentium to the newer Pentiums that are low end Sandy Bridge processors, there is a massive difference in performance between those two.

Which two processors are you looking at, that will help us give you an accurate answer.

Intel® Core™ i3 Processor versus Intel® Pentium® ....thats all i got
m
l
October 19, 2011 11:37:58 PM

"What's the difference between a Model T and a Toyota Prius?"

Where shall I start? You could make a book about the differences. Anything specific?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2011 1:34:07 AM

Maybe I can answer the question simply. The difference between a P4 at 3Gig and a typical i3 speed wise is a factor of two for single threaded tasks and if the program is multi-threaded then the i3 is about four times faster.
Note; these are ball park figures and that your experience may vary.
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
October 20, 2011 1:40:05 AM

Intel Pentium means it may be an original, or clarkdale based, or sandy bridge based, quite the spread of performance numbers between those three. You really need a model number because im not even sure of the architecture of the i3 you are looking at, it could be sandy bridge or clarkdale, quite a difference in performance between those two.
m
l
!