Intel core versus intel pentium

Pretty much the Core 2 Duo will have better performance then something like the Pentium 4 Prescott series of Cpu's. A Core 2 solo has much better performance than a Pentium 4, so whether you go single or dual core, I highly recommend the Core 2 over any other chip. The benefit of a second core will only be noticeable if you do a lot of multi-tasking, or if you use applications that are multi-threaded (designed to use multiple cores simultaneously). If you use Photo Shop, do a lot of video/audio encoding or plan to play modern games on your new laptop, the dual-core version is a good investment.

Which pentium? There are almost a dozen different architectures that the pentium name has been used with, from the original Pentium to the newer Pentiums that are low end Sandy Bridge processors, there is a massive difference in performance between those two.

Which two processors are you looking at, that will help us give you an accurate answer.

cwwallac

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Intel® Core™ i3 Processor versus Intel® Pentium® ....thats all i got

Maybe I can answer the question simply. The difference between a P4 at 3Gig and a typical i3 speed wise is a factor of two for single threaded tasks and if the program is multi-threaded then the i3 is about four times faster.
Note; these are ball park figures and that your experience may vary.

Intel Pentium means it may be an original, or clarkdale based, or sandy bridge based, quite the spread of performance numbers between those three. You really need a model number because im not even sure of the architecture of the i3 you are looking at, it could be sandy bridge or clarkdale, quite a difference in performance between those two.