Solution
It will probably run maxxed smoothly on most things. I will warn you though that it does not like AA and shading much. I run the card at 1280X1024 with everything but those 2 turned up (however I'm also running 8gb ddr3 and a new i3 sandycore).

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
It will probably run maxxed smoothly on most things. I will warn you though that it does not like AA and shading much. I run the card at 1280X1024 with everything but those 2 turned up (however I'm also running 8gb ddr3 and a new i3 sandycore).

Solution
OP:

well with your lowly cpu even a 5670 is going to be bottle necked you will be able to run things on on low settings likely, and the best answer you selected is absolute crap, 8 gigs of ram is going to benefit bak0n 0% in gaming and an i3 2100 is worlds different then the processor you have, so dont listen to this poster, overall you gaming experience will be okay but I would recommend saving up for a new build and upgrading soon.

personally I run a backup, 720p rig with an AM3 mobo, athlon II 240 @ 3.5ghz, 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM, and a 5770, it is able to do what I want it to, but any less gpu power, even at 720p which is a bit less then what your res is, then I would not be happy with the performance so personally I would upgrade your rig and get a bit better of a gpu, I got my 5770 in an open box sale at frys electronics for $100 which was a great deal for a backup, 720p gaming rig , imo

these days you could get a decent am3 mobo for like 50-60 bucks and a P2 955 for 120 or a cheaper quad for like 90-100, really inexpensive just fyi

an afterthought:

you could of course buy an aftermarket cpu cooler and try your luck at oc'ing your current dual core... then it would be better matched with the 5670, in the end it shouldn't bottleneck terribly but I would question your systems ability to maintain good fps, even at your 12X10 res... good luck

yeah well i must be a lot more anal than you and also those 2 games you mentioned are very low cpu/gpu demand try some more modern games and you will change your tune...

in the end what is good gameplay to you is not good to me, not to mention that at a lower resolution, more demand will put on the cpu rather than gpu so yeah it is likely that with a lowly c2d and a 4650 that you might be better off at a higher res, but mostly the games you mentioned are not demanding at all, I gaurantee that if you tried some more modern games such as BFBC2, Just Cause 2, Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, etc then you would fine that your c2d at 2.4 and your 4650 are simply not enough power to max these types of games out or even have them be playable, yeah you can lower settings but I like to game on all high settings with 4xaa so what is sufficient at 12X10 for you is a bit underpowered for (an even less res) of 720p for me

I wanted to point out JJB that the OP stated maxed out
at 1024x768 which a C2d and a HD 5670 should be fine
with

I do agree with you

the HD 5670 is a light duty gaming card
and the latest games have to have AT LEAST a 3.0ghz or higher C2D
but really a decent quad core is called for

With my C2D 2.93 and HD 4650 I can play
Crysis Warhead at 1920x1080 mainstream/gamer settings
with no AA/AF
and Warhead is more demanding than Crysis 2 from what I understand
I did order a HD5670 to do a little better