Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hooking up a cd/rw/dvd module to laptop- not recognizing. ..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2005 10:18:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi, Just bought a used laptop that came with XP professional- but
nothing else i.e. Microsoft Suite (Word etc..)

I havent owned a laptop before so Im a novice with these-- however, I
took the combo drive and hooked it to the back of the laptop- I do get
a "chime" from the pc but the light on the drive does not come on-
doesnt look like there is power from the Drive. I also noticed that
the PC doesnt say "new hardware has been installed etcc."

Are these external drives tempermental? Im running a dell laptop.

Does the fact that Im getting that sound mean anything? Any help you
can provide would be very useful- Im thinking maybe its a defective
drive?? what can i do to test this theory?
Thanks again
KOS
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2005 10:58:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Okay-
when I look at device manager- i see a disk drive a....when I plug the
cd/dvd drive in i get a disk drive b... It doesnt say cd drive...


The cd/combo drive just has 1 connection on it- i connect the cord dell
sent me to that and the other end to the laptop (rear).. There isnt a
place to hook up a power supply to this.

(it is a Dell 8x cd-rw/dvd module- this helpful?)

thanks for your response
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2005 3:03:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

KOS wrote:
> Okay-
> when I look at device manager- i see a disk drive a....when I plug the
> cd/dvd drive in i get a disk drive b... It doesnt say cd drive...
>
>
> The cd/combo drive just has 1 connection on it- i connect the cord
> dell sent me to that and the other end to the laptop (rear).. There
> isnt a place to hook up a power supply to this.
>
> (it is a Dell 8x cd-rw/dvd module- this helpful?)
>
> thanks for your response

Insert a known good CD into the drive and see if you can see the disk
and files?

Q
Related resources
July 14, 2005 5:45:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

KOS <computerstuff2@excite.com> wrote:
: Hi, Just bought a used laptop that came with XP professional- but
: nothing else i.e. Microsoft Suite (Word etc..)

: I havent owned a laptop before so Im a novice with these-- however, I
: took the combo drive and hooked it to the back of the laptop- I do get
: a "chime" from the pc but the light on the drive does not come on-
: doesnt look like there is power from the Drive. I also noticed that
: the PC doesnt say "new hardware has been installed etcc."

Uh, silly question: did you plug the power cable into the external
drive? I have heard of USB-powered external CD/DVD drives before,
but I have never seen one and expect most of them are self-powered
with their own power supply. (A model number and manufacturer for the
drive might be helpful to tell us.)

The USB port could supply enough power to the drive to let Windows
know a new device has been plugged in but not enough to use it - that
could explain the "chime."

Did you go to "My Computer" and see if the drive is indeed showing up?
If you go to Device Manager, do you see an extra CD drive showing up
as a devic?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2005 8:44:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

can not do that- the cd/dvd combo drive has no power- I press the
button and nothing..
July 14, 2005 9:00:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

KOS <computerstuff2@excite.com> wrote:
: Okay-
: when I look at device manager- i see a disk drive a....when I plug the
: cd/dvd drive in i get a disk drive b... It doesnt say cd drive...

That doesn't sound right. The "b" drive (B:)  is almost always reserved for
floppy drives. CD drives should get assigned drive letters after C:,
probably E:. Still, if you go to "My Computer" do you see the combo
drive listed at all? What if you "explore" it?

Sounds like your laptop (what kind of laptop is it? what model?) is
incorrectly detecting the combo drive as a USB (external) floppy
drive. Do you have any sort of user's manual?


: The cd/combo drive just has 1 connection on it- i connect the cord dell
: sent me to that and the other end to the laptop (rear).. There isnt a
: place to hook up a power supply to this.

OK, then it must be powered from the laptop's USB port (or firewire -
do you know which it is?)

: (it is a Dell 8x cd-rw/dvd module- this helpful?)

A model number would be more helpful.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2005 11:23:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

KOS wrote:
> can not do that- the cd/dvd combo drive has no power- I press the
> button and nothing..

What is the *laptop* model number, and what is the drive model number?
You can go to Dell support and download all of the drivers necessary,
especially any drivers specific to that laptop, www.dell.com, and the
user manual as well.

With the model number of the laptop, also you can post to
alt.sys.pc-clone.dell where there are likely several posters familiar
with the laptop. Turn it over and the model number should be on the
bottom.

My *guess* is that there is a driver missing from your installation -
perhaps the previous owner installed the OS without either the CD driver
or without the CD connected, and the laptop OS installation is
incomplete.

The is a possibility that the BIOS has a switch to enable the CD drive
(Del or F2 at power-on, look for "integrated peripherals" section or
similar for a switch to enable the drive.

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2005 1:24:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 14 Jul 2005 04:44:29 -0700, "KOS" <computerstuff2@excite.com> wrote:

>can not do that- the cd/dvd combo drive has no power- I press the
>button and nothing..

What are you talking about?

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
!