What to do about install CD's that wipe everything?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 13, 2005 11:55:19 PM

I just purchased a refurbished Averatec laptop... Can I re-install
Windows XP without having to purchase a full retail package?

The Averatec notebook computer comes with 3 CD's that say...

"CAUTION: All data in your hard drive will be permanently deleted."
"...and thus cannot be used to perform a manual or selective install."

I don't see where they offer standard CD's on their website.
What can be done?

Can I make an install CD or folder, with the files that are already
pre-loaded on the computer.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler
http://denniskessler.com/acupuncture

More about : install wipe

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2005 8:31:48 AM

There may be a way to get what you want.

The factory installation (the one that wipes out everything) may leave a
full "I386" folder on your PC (could be almost anywhere). If so, and
if that folder has the files WINNT.EXE and WINNT32.EXE in it (the folder
will be about 400 megabytes), then that folder essentially is the "core"
of a "retail" package of Windows XP. If you burn that folder to a CD,
and you know what you are doing (or can find someone who does), you can
do anything with that folder (burned to a CD) that you could do with a
full retail package.

The key is having the full I386 folder with the two (DOS and Windows)
WINNT setup programs.

dk_ wrote:

> I just purchased a refurbished Averatec laptop... Can I re-install
> Windows XP without having to purchase a full retail package?
>
> The Averatec notebook computer comes with 3 CD's that say...
>
> "CAUTION: All data in your hard drive will be permanently deleted."
> "...and thus cannot be used to perform a manual or selective install."
>
> I don't see where they offer standard CD's on their website.
> What can be done?
>
> Can I make an install CD or folder, with the files that are already
> pre-loaded on the computer.
>
> -Dennis

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2005 8:31:49 AM

Barry,

Thank you for the details.

So far I have not setup the computer. I'll look for the folders and
files "if" I set the machine up.

I see that one of the USB ports is missing the white plastic piece
inside the center of the port. ...Not sure what I should do at this
point. Also, the screen has two red pixels.

Thanks again.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler
http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

I have the Averatec 6130HS and had to redo the system with the 3 disc set.
The first disc was bad. They sent a new set. It worked ok
I found on their website the drivers for all the systems , so it looks like
I may be able just to install Win xp next time
and then install all the drivers. 6 groups. This may keep from having to
wipe it.of course you will need a copy of win xp...

fyi
Jim

"dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a refurbished Averatec laptop... Can I re-install
> Windows XP without having to purchase a full retail package?
>
> The Averatec notebook computer comes with 3 CD's that say...
>
> "CAUTION: All data in your hard drive will be permanently deleted."
> "...and thus cannot be used to perform a manual or selective install."
>
> I don't see where they offer standard CD's on their website.
> What can be done?
>
> Can I make an install CD or folder, with the files that are already
> pre-loaded on the computer.
>
> -Dennis
>
> --
> Dennis Kessler
> http://denniskessler.com/acupuncture
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2005 4:23:46 AM

Jim,

How from where, or how will you...

In article <2865d$42d72711$ce94081c$15198@DIALUPUSA.NET>,
"SLLD" <jimnluna@isp.com> wrote:

> I have the Averatec 6130HS and had to redo the system with the 3 disc set.
> The first disc was bad. They sent a new set. It worked ok
> I found on their website the drivers for all the systems , so it looks like
> I may be able just to install Win xp next time
> and then install all the drivers. 6 groups. This may keep from having to
> wipe it.of course you will need a copy of win xp...
>
> fyi
> Jim
>

> "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message
> >I just purchased a refurbished Averatec laptop... Can I re-install
> > Windows XP without having to purchase a full retail package?
> >
> > The Averatec notebook computer comes with 3 CD's that say...
> >
> > "CAUTION: All data in your hard drive will be permanently deleted."
> > "...and thus cannot be used to perform a manual or selective install."
> >
> > I don't see where they offer standard CD's on their website.
> > What can be done?
> >
> > Can I make an install CD or folder, with the files that are already
> > pre-loaded on the computer.
> >
> > -Dennis
> >
> > --
> > Dennis Kessler
> > http://denniskessler.com/acupuncture

--
Dennis Kessler
http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2005 10:23:32 AM

ok
I have a copy of win xp (orig) It will boot in my laptop
I can install it on the laptop but, the drivers needed will not be installed
You need to download them from your comp manuf. site.
and have them on a CD to install so your system will be fully working.
I did the install of win xp and it came up but did not support modem.,
sound, etc.
Caution , you must have all drivers for it to work . Your laptop may not
do this.
I'm lucky as mine did
Hope this helps..

> Jim,
>
> How from where, or how will you...
> "be able just to install Win xp next time"?
>
> -Dennis
>

> In article <2865d$42d72711$ce94081c$15198@DIALUPUSA.NET>,
> "SLLD" <jimnluna@isp.com> wrote:
>
>> I have the Averatec 6130HS and had to redo the system with the 3 disc
>> set.
>> The first disc was bad. They sent a new set. It worked ok
>> I found on their website the drivers for all the systems , so it looks
>> like
>> I may be able just to install Win xp next time
>> and then install all the drivers. 6 groups. This may keep from having
>> wipe it.of course you will need a copy of win xp...
>>
>> fyi
>> Jim
>>

>> "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message
>> >I just purchased a refurbished Averatec laptop... Can I re-install
>> > Windows XP without having to purchase a full retail package?
>> >
>> > The Averatec notebook computer comes with 3 CD's that say...
>> >
>> > "CAUTION: All data in your hard drive will be permanently deleted."
>> > "...and thus cannot be used to perform a manual or selective install."
>> >
>> > I don't see where they offer standard CD's on their website.
>> > What can be done?
>> >
>> > Can I make an install CD or folder, with the files that are already
>> > pre-loaded on the computer.
>> >
>> > -Dennis
>> >
>> > --
>> > Dennis Kessler
>> > http://denniskessler.com/acupuncture
>>

> --
> Dennis Kessler
> http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2005 4:03:15 PM

Jim,

The way that I read your message (just below), is that you were not able
to 'just' re-install XP from the disks that came with the Averatec?

Are you able to use someone else's full version disk with the legitimate
license number that came with your Averatec?

-Dennis

In article <67ca2$42da3fb3$ce940807$3117@DIALUPUSA.NET>,
"SLLD" <jimnluna@isp.com> wrote:

> ok
> I have a copy of win xp (orig) It will boot in my laptop
> I can install it on the laptop but, the drivers needed will not be installed
> You need to download them from your comp manuf. site.
> and have them on a CD to install so your system will be fully working.
> I did the install of win xp and it came up but did not support modem.,
> sound, etc.
> Caution , you must have all drivers for it to work . Your laptop may not
> do this.
> I'm lucky as mine did
> Hope this helps..
> Jim
>
> "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message
> > Jim,
> >
> > How from where, or how will you...
> > "be able just to install Win xp next time"?
> >
> > -Dennis
> >

> > In article <2865d$42d72711$ce94081c$15198@DIALUPUSA.NET>,
> > "SLLD" <jimnluna@isp.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have the Averatec 6130HS and had to redo the system with the 3 disc
> >> set.
> >> The first disc was bad. They sent a new set. It worked ok
> >> I found on their website the drivers for all the systems , so it looks
> >> like
> >> I may be able just to install Win xp next time
> >> and then install all the drivers. 6 groups. This may keep from having
> >> wipe it.of course you will need a copy of win xp...
> >>
> >> fyi
> >> Jim
> >>

> >> "dk_" <nobody@spamless.com> wrote in message

--
Dennis Kessler
http://www.denniskessler.com/acupuncture
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2005 7:04:06 PM

Jim,

What you described just below, ...ix that essentially a re-install of
Windows XP over the existing, and presumably corrupt version currently
on the machine?

I have no understanding or experience with registering and new copy of
XP. ...When you install or re-install from a full XP version, are you
asked to enter an id number, etc? ...If so, do you enter the number that
came with the machine, or the number on the full version?

Thanks.

!