Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Radeon 4870 [1gb] + 4870x2 [2gb] - Crossfire + GPU Temperature!

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Temperature
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 16, 2011 4:38:09 AM

Just have a few questions regarding my crossfire setup.

Crossfire Specs:
- ATI Radeon 4870 1GB + 4870X2 2GB
- Bridged with 2 crossfire cables

Comp Specs:
- Corei7 920 2.6 w/ stock cpu fan
- 1000w PSU - just replaced 600w
- 6gb ram DDR3
- 3 hdd + 2 burners

----------------------------------

Questions:

a) 2GB card @ 83C idle ..is that too high? 1GB @ 60 C idle.
b) Cards are pretttttttty close to each other since the cards are WIDE - is that why the card is at high temp?
c) Would a water cool fix this issue?

Cards are dust free.

Thanks for the help!

More about : radeon 4870 1gb 4870x2 2gb crossfire gpu temperature

May 16, 2011 6:40:08 AM

How hot does it get under load? 83c is pretty damn high for idle (even if the cards are pretty close), 60c isn't bad.

How far apart are the cards exactly?
Score
May 16, 2011 11:31:37 AM

Alright so I reduced the GPU Clock on the 2gb to 550Mhz and Memory Clock to 555Mhz now its at a 70C-72C ...how badly does this affect my performance?

To be honest the 1g GDDR5 was good enough, I just wanted to crossfire for video rendering / AE purposes.
Score
May 16, 2011 3:46:55 PM

Raidur said:
How hot does it get under load? 83c is pretty damn high for idle (even if the cards are pretty close), 60c isn't bad.

How far apart are the cards exactly?

On full graphics with COD MW2 its at 87C. Cards are like 2cm apart, my mobo wasn't setup far apart. But is it because the 4870 is 2gb?
Score
May 16, 2011 4:12:08 PM

When you have 2 cards jammed next to each other, the one on top usually gets very poor air circulation. Dual GPU cards also run extra hot, because they have twice the heat in the same area as a single card.

Due to this, I'd highly recommend running the 4870x2 on the bottom so it gets the best air possible. This may help with the idle temps.

If possible, separate them further by putting an extra slot between them.
Score
May 16, 2011 4:15:23 PM

bystander said:
When you have 2 cards jammed next to each other, the one on top usually gets very poor air circulation. Dual GPU cards also run extra hot, because they have twice the heat in the same area as a single card.

Due to this, I'd highly recommend running the 4870x2 on the bottom so it gets the best air possible. This may help with the idle temps.

If possible, separate them further by putting an extra slot between them.

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that the 2gb has this plastic back piece that pops out of the card like a heat sync/protector? so that portion is touching my 1gb which is why i swapped the position.

Both cards are fat and take 2 slot positions and thats why they are very close to each other.

Do you tihnk water cooling would make a difference?
Score

Best solution

May 16, 2011 4:25:11 PM

icykle said:
Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that the 2gb has this plastic back piece that pops out of the card like a heat sync/protector? so that portion is touching my 1gb which is why i swapped the position.

Both cards are fat and take 2 slot positions and thats why they are very close to each other.

Do you tihnk water cooling would make a difference?

If you already have water cooling setup, or you planned to set it up, then ya, that's a good option for you. Water cooling takes away the problem of needing air flow between the cards, because the cooling takes place at the radiator's location not at the card's location.

However, if you don't already have water cooling, it would be about as expensive as it would be to just go out and get a 6970 or 570 which would also solve your issue and have similar performance with much less hassle.
May 16, 2011 4:38:42 PM

bystander said:
If you already have water cooling setup, or you planned to set it up, then ya, that's a good option for you. Water cooling takes away the problem of needing air flow between the cards, because the cooling takes place at the radiator's location not at the card's location.

However, if you don't already have water cooling, it would be about as expensive as it would be to just go out and get a 6970 or 570 which would also solve your issue and have similar performance with much less hassle.

I agree. My 650w PSU with 4870 1gb was doing perfectly fine but my friend upgraded his video card and basically gave this card to me for $50 since I do all the tech stuff for him. Now I was like what the heck i just have to upgrade the PSU and done.

Never knew I would come across such problems. I believe I'm good for a few years so I'd rather invest in a water cooler and keep my system healthy then upgrade a video card again.

Do you know any proper ones? Have you ever installed/used on before?

BTW appreciate the help.
Score
May 16, 2011 4:45:57 PM

No, I've avoided it.
Score
May 17, 2011 6:29:27 PM

Best answer selected by icykle.
Score
May 17, 2011 6:32:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!