Closed Solved

Another Lynnfield vs Sandy Bridge Upgrade Question..With a twist...

So, I recently acquired a brand new ASUS Maximus III Gene mATX board for $40 on ebay. I was intending to use it in a HTPC with an older i3 that I have laying around. Unfortunately, I'm scraping my HTPC plans as we are in need of a work computer at home. I will be using it for some gaming as well as 3d/graphics.

So, since I already have a great motherboard based on socket 1156, I figured I would drop a Lynnfield Core i5 760 in there. They cost about the same new as Sandy Bridge i5 2400-2500 (non K).

Is this a good move, keep the Asus and go with a Lynnfield? Or should I resell the Asus, buy a "budget" Z68 board, and go with a Sandy Bridge. I think I would probably lose $50-$60 in that scenario, seeing as how I got the Asus for so cheap. I don't plan to OC much if any, other than maybe bumping up the 760 200-400 mhz to make up for its "handicap" and get it more on par with a SB. It will be in a mATX Lian Li enclosure with a GTX 460.

What would you guys do in this situation?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about another lynnfield sandy bridge upgrade question with twist
  1. The 2500k and the 2600k out perform most of the lynnfeild cpu's.
  2. Believe it or not i3 is pretty decent for gaming.
    The i3 530 is a little screamer i've had one that i recently replaced with an i3 550.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/118?vs=88
    I wouldn't pay retail for an i5 Lynnfield at this point in the game.
  3. Best answer
    Since the gpu is fixed (460), and since some games are gpu bound and some cpu bound . . . the only times you will notice a "problem" with the 760 is when it can't meet minimum playable frame rates, and the 2500(k) can. Those would seem to be a small number of cases.

If money is a consideration - and your question says that it is - stick with the 750. Its fine paired with your 460.
  4. superflykicks03 said:
    So, I recently acquired a brand new ASUS Maximus III Gene mATX board for $40 on ebay. I was intending to use it in a HTPC with an older i3 that I have laying around. Unfortunately, I'm scraping my HTPC plans as we are in need of a work computer at home. I will be using it for some gaming as well as 3d/graphics.

So, since I already have a great motherboard based on socket 1156, I figured I would drop a Lynnfield Core i5 760 in there. They cost about the same new as Sandy Bridge i5 2400-2500 (non K).

Is this a good move, keep the Asus and go with a Lynnfield? Or should I resell the Asus, buy a "budget" Z68 board, and go with a Sandy Bridge. I think I would probably lose $50-$60 in that scenario, seeing as how I got the Asus for so cheap. I don't plan to OC much if any, other than maybe bumping up the 760 200-400 mhz to make up for its "handicap" and get it more on par with a SB. It will be in a mATX Lian Li enclosure with a GTX 460.

What would you guys do in this situation?

Anyway just keep the i3.Should be enough for gaming.
  5. Best answer selected by superflykicks03.
  6. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Sandy Bridge