Will my video card fit in a mid tower case?

chris81

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I was recently given a nice video card (Msi ATI 5870). I am building a new computer based on it, and am looking to order a case. The video card is the longest I've ever seen (last time I built my own box, it was 2002). I've been reading Ars Technica's system guide for my components, and I like the look of the case they recommend. The case is a mid tower, but I don't know if the internal dimensions of the case will handle a card this big (It measures 28cm [11 inches]).

Based on calculations I made from measuring a photo of the case on Newegg's website and doing some calculations, the card should fit, though just barely. There is nothing in the literature that came with the card that says I need to have a full tower case, and I'd rather not have such a big box.

My question: Are the dimensions of computer components and cases standardized so that I don't have to worry about this, or should I buy a full tower?

chris81

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Thanks for the replies! The case I was looking at was the LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B. Haven't ordered the case yet, but I'll check out that one mentioned by flintironstagg. I'll post which one I bought once I've placed my order.

silverbrit

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

Just Asking,

Do you need to replace the stock fans that come with HAF-912? Also, what fans come with the case?

Any help is appreciated.

The base model of the HAF-912 comes with 2 fans, one 120mm in front for intake and one 120mm on the top portion of the rear for exhaust. There is a pro series case of the 912, but i highly suggest not to get it. The only improvements is a black painted interior which you can do yourself, and a red LED 200mm fan in the front for intake. The pro costs 100 bux, and you can get the reg version for 59.99 and get 2 200mm fans any color you want for about 20 bux each totalling what you would pay for the pro series case but with a huge intake and exhaust fan. Thats what I did and i LOVE this case.

silverbrit

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

Thanks,

That is pretty much what ive had read up online. I just really didnt know what fans it came with. I do agree the HAF-912 is pretty pointless.