Sign in with
Your question

Cable Modem

Last response: in Components
November 16, 2000 4:03:53 PM

I have a cable modem and am currently hooked up to roadrunner. I want to split my connection to more than two computers but I have no idea how. can i use a rounter/hub to split and how?

More about : cable modem

Anonymous
November 16, 2000 4:39:30 PM

I'm assuming it's an external cable modem? Easy then, just buy yourself a cable/DSL router (like Linksys EtherFast router, or Netgear RT314, etc... there's tons of them out there) for around $150-$200. That's all you really need (and a NIC in each PC, and the cat5 cable to go between them of course).

The cable modem plugs into the WAN connection on the router, and the router has 4 ports (a built in switch/hub, some have more ports) on it's LAN connection to which you can plug your PCs into. They're very easy to set up too...

If you have an internal modem it's a bit more difficult. You have to install a NIC in that PC alongside the cable modem, run some software like WinGate (or even ICS that's built into Win98SE might do the trick) and then it's a matter of using a simple hub/switch to connect the PCs together.
November 16, 2000 7:40:26 PM

That router sounds like a nice easy way to do it. I have a cable modem which I share between the 4 computers at my house. I have one computer act as the server. All I needed to do was install 2 network cards in it and get some IP sharing software. For more than 2 computers, you will need an ethernet hub too. I recommend Comsocks software. Works real well.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"
Related resources
November 16, 2000 7:56:20 PM

It is an external modem. I had nt running on another machine but it crashed today when i was trying to set up roadrunner on it. I was also trying to set up wingate but that died too. So I'm looking for an easier way to do this and that would be splitting it out of the modem to the computers. I have a linksys eatherfast router. It has five ports and an uplink. where do you plug in everything. i tried it earlier but nothing happened and RR doesn't support it
November 16, 2000 8:11:29 PM

Try the Belkin Router/switch. It is a router with a build in 4 port 10/100 autosensing switch + wan port for the cable/dsl connections. Very easy to setup. I bought mine from Gateway 2000 when they had an extra 10% off so it ended up being less than $150 +s/h. With this unit you will only need one IP address from your cable modem service ISP and all computers can have internet access. You put in the cable information then the unit will assign identification for use with the onsite network. Remember to set your browsers NOT to use proxy information, but Direct Connection the Router/switch will not allow connection.
Anonymous
November 17, 2000 3:31:46 PM

Don't spend your money on any hardware!
If you already have a network installed, I suggest you to buy the Sygate program (www.sygate.com). It's an excellent internet connection sharing program. I use it at home and it is really surprising. I think you can download a free trial version or something..
Anonymous
November 21, 2000 8:47:51 PM

You don't need a $150 Router. You don't need Internet sharing software. Cable IS a shared connection by nature. I use Roadrunner at my house. Roadrunner allows up to 5 IP addresses per modem. All you need is a cheap 4 port hub with an uplink port (for the modem) that costs $20-40 and 2 straight-thru (NOT Crossover) cables to go from the computers to the hub. Simple. You don't even need the roadrunner software. Just set your IE or Netscape (or whatever) to connect over a LAN and your done.
November 22, 2000 2:47:55 PM

Hey trevor saw you post and thought i would ask you a question. What service provider do you use? i currently have @home and getting a router to work with them is next to impossible. I have tried to no avail with a hawking dsl/cable router and was considering what you have as an option only using winproxy. Was it tricky setting it up, I know alot about computers but my networking is a little shaky.
November 22, 2000 2:51:58 PM

Meeka

your post if off the mark, most cable modem providers only allow one computer to be on the network per ip address. Enable to share the ip you have to have all your machines remain transparent ( invisable) except one. If you are fortunate enough to have a service provider that does not do this consider yourself lucky, however I highly doubt it for it was seem that any service provider that didn't have some sort of software to block multple computers from using the same ip they would be completly overwhelmed in no time
Anonymous
November 22, 2000 11:13:03 PM

No, my post is not off the mark. Roadrunner allows up to 5 computers per modem and 2 e-mail addys. I've been with them for over a year. If you don't believe me, go to their website.
Anonymous
November 22, 2000 11:13:58 PM

As he said, he is on Roadrunner.
Anonymous
November 22, 2000 11:15:50 PM

Oh yea, I had absolutely no problems networking in Win98. All I did was set IE to connect over LAN and everything worked perfect. It set everything else up automatically.
November 22, 2000 11:46:00 PM

you have my apologies then, however roadrunner must be the excepion and not the rule I only wish @home was setup the same way.
Anonymous
November 27, 2000 2:03:06 AM

Roadrunner appears to be the exception. I have been nothing but happy with thier service with one exception. Thier tech support is awful. I had a problem with my computer not seeing the network once (which ended up being an IRQ conflict between my serial port, my sound card and my NIC. Alas, my serial port is useless because of it ;) ) and the guy knew absolutely nothing. I showed him how it was hooked up, showed him that the network was working because my other computer could see it fine and all he would say is that the cables must not be working. I proved the cables worked fine and he tried to sell me a 'Roadrunner' NIC for $20. I told him where he could stuff his 'Roadrunner' NIC and had the problem fixed a few minutes later. Quite disappointing, really.
November 27, 2000 9:00:15 PM

roadrunner is the exception in your area for the time being, however, they are getting away from multiple ip addresses on a single line and have even gone so far as to block mac addresses from routers. In san antonio and san marcos tx this is the case. Luckily a firmware update allows me to change the mac address on my lynksis router to look the same as my nic card, but without that I'd have to go back to setting my computer up as the server. Or maybe you're talking about multiple pay ip's. The only way we can get more than 1 ip address on a cable modem here is to pay for a seperate one which costs 15 bucks a month. in a year you've more than bought a router- which is also great because it is a physical firewall. The only address the world sees is the router's address which makes it very hard to harm your computer from a malicious source.
!