Best choice AM3+ CPU

folem

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I plan on building myself a new computer using the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 socket AM3+ motherboard, but I haven't decided whether I should go with the new Bulldozer based FX-8120, or STARS based Phenom II x6 1090TBE, or Phenom II x4 965BE. The Buldozer should be the fastest with the release of Windows 8 or even an updated driver, but the 1090T is frequently the fastest with today's software for $40 less on TigerDirect. The 965BE would be the choice if it is best to hold out for Piledriver next year if it won't cost me too much in performance. I currently don't see any point in getting the [url="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1239961&CatId=1946]FX-6100[/url], as the 1090T currently outperforms it.

Solution
For your computation I would recommend you that CPU is equal or second to your GPU needs. I would advise a 2500k or a 1100T for your Major and curricular education.
I strongly advise a good mid and higher range GPU for your college. A V7900 or Quadro 4000.

These GPUs aren't really for games meaning forget BF3 or Skyrim, you may be able to run Heroes of Might and Magic with these. However, you want to crunch N' gons and numbers that's why you want a decent professional card.....

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
the Phenom 965BE has the faster clock speed (3.4ghz)
1090T is 3.2ghz stock

you will get a higher MHZ with the 965BE and will prob be just the same for games.

Games hardly use 4 cores atm let alone 6.

Yes i Own a 1090 and a friend owns a 965.

id go the 965 or 8120 / 8150.

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
At the moment we have absolutely no guarantee that the PileDriver based CPUs will be noticeably faster that the current Bulldozers anyway. I strongly suggest that you don't wait for PileDriver just for that assurance.

What do you plan on using this computer for? Can you settle comfortably with the Phenom II 955 for the time being until you can upgrade to the PileDriver, or even keep the Phenom II 955 if the PileDriver turns out to be a disaster? If your answer is no, then I'd recommend the Phenom II 1090T, or go with the Sandy Bridge i5 2500.

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

its a best thing you go with 1100t, and if you don't want it then 2nd best is 1090t. :p :p :p

folem

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
At the moment we have absolutely no guarantee that the PileDriver based CPUs will be noticeably faster that the current Bulldozers anyway. I strongly suggest that you don't wait for PileDriver just for that assurance.

What do you plan on using this computer for? Can you settle comfortably with the Phenom II 955 for the time being until you can upgrade to the PileDriver, or even keep the Phenom II 955 if the PileDriver turns out to be a disaster? If your answer is no, then I'd recommend the Phenom II 1090T, or go with the Sandy Bridge i5 2500.

I plan on taking this computer to college with me next year as an engineering major, so it must be able to run 3D design programs such as SolidWorks and complex math programs such as Maple. I also plan on doing some occasional, causual gaming, but I don't require the absolute best framerate. Gaming is not my top concern.

cha0ss0ldier

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
It's hard to advise anyone to go with an AMD build right now. As much as I like them the i5-2500k just blows everything away when it comes to power/price, and Bulldozer was a huge letdown. Your money would be better spent going with a sandy bridge build.

If you must go AMD just get a 955 BE and wait for Piledriver. The 955 if the same chip as the 965, you are just paying AMD to overclock it for you when you could do it yourself in less than a minute. The 955 is on sale at newegg for $105.

^ +1, just go with an intel build. even the low end i5-2300 blows any amd cpu away for gaming. Not to mention Intel has better upgrade options, with ivy bridge CPU's around the corner which will stomp all over AMD even more so. You could get the 955 and save some money, but your only upgrade option will be relying on/praying for AMD to get their act together and make a good chip. Even if they get a 13% increase from piledriver, intel will have a 20% increase by the time they release it. All intel needs to do is release a 6 core SB or IB cpu and nothing AMD has now or in the future will be able to catch it.

folem

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I'd rather not go with Intel because every time they introduce a new archtecture they require a new socket, with AMD its a little more consistent. And from what I can tell, Ivy Bridge isn't going to be much better than Sandy Bridge, maybe 5-10%, its main goal is to reduce the TDP. I didn't list the Phenom II 955 as an option because it is a slightly lower quality chip than the 965, which; however, is the same quality as the 980.

cha0ss0ldier

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Ivy is going to be a 20% increase over SB. Piledriver is supposed to be a 10% increase over BD, which still puts it behind Sandy/Ivy. SB is still better than anything AMD has on the market, including BD.

As much as I like AMD it's hard for me to hold my breath and expect something good to come on the AM3+ platform. Intel is just so far ahead. I miss the days of Athlon 64.

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I have both a 1090t and an 1100t , 1100 on a Gigabyte 880 , 1090 on a Sabertooth , there is almost no difference running CAD or photoshop . For your purposes get the 1090 , in a year or 2 AMD might have something worth the extra $$ , I would put the money saved on the 8120 towards extra memory and vid card . I have 16 gb mem and it runs great
I was waiting for BD but right now not worth the price for performance gains .

the new ivy bridge CPU's will use the same socket. get your facts right. IMO am3+ is a dead socket as there will be no good cpu's released for it that will be any better than a core i7 2600k.

sebastien

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
For your computation I would recommend you that CPU is equal or second to your GPU needs. I would advise a 2500k or a 1100T for your Major and curricular education.
I strongly advise a good mid and higher range GPU for your college. A V7900 or Quadro 4000.

These GPUs aren't really for games meaning forget BF3 or Skyrim, you may be able to run Heroes of Might and Magic with these. However, you want to crunch N' gons and numbers that's why you want a decent professional card.....

Solution

folem

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I think I'm going to go with the 1090T because I can't justify buying the 8120 for its price or the 1100T since it is almost the same chip - possibly just binned slightly higher - and I want the opportunity to upgrade to a PD CPU incase it somehow blows everyone away, but I don't want to settle for the 965 and feel stuck with it if PD flops like BD.

BTW can anyone tell me how to close the thread.